LMTV 1078 Camper build concept

Coachgeo

Explorer
Recently saw an S250 with what appeared to be a large hatch or something on one side wall. If one or better two 250's were paired up that has this hatch it would be helpful in making a crawl thru. Anyone know which specific type/model NSN # orr? that have a large hatch on the side?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
How do you plan to load/unload the shelters?

Another option would be to take one of the S280 shelters and cut down the height. The skid that is attached to the bottom of the shelter is removable and adds about 6-8" to the total height.

Coachgeo

Explorer
How do you plan to load/unload the shelters?
Have not totally decided yet. Either a slide out from rack that would be built into an overhead frame atop the bed or chassis. It would act like a Gantry Crane when extended. Once extended.... then use winches from this extension to lower each unit down separately.... This concept could double as how one would lift Motorcycle or ATV up to the bed etc as well. Part of this whole bed/chassis cover frame could be light weight.... only most rear section that would cary weight of lowering shelter, thus all of it would not need to be heavy duty? Overall this frame would also be what would support the bed cover, be it tarp or some light panels of some type. Roof of frame would be where the Solar panels are mounted permanently. That way solar can be used with Shop trailer mentioned earlier for they would not remove along with the modules. It would stay with truck. Guess that could be an advantage or disadvantage now that think about it. hmmm

Orrr.. instead of a slideout Gantry like rack for removing Units.... mount one set of legs on a unit... drive forward.... mount second set legs..... drive out from underneath. Repeat if second box is mounted as well. Would still though leave the need to somehow raise and lower other things (motorcycle, ATV etc. etc)

Another option would be to take one of the S280 shelters and cut down the height. The skid that is attached to the bottom of the shelter is removable and adds about 6-8" to the total height.
That is an option reviewed in my feeble mind and have not discounted that idea yet. Not sure I have the skill to maintain the integrety of the shelters engineered design doing this, thus might end up with a Box that no longer can be considered able to assist reducing cab crush in a flop or roll.

BTW the skid; as you call it, removed creates other issues. That skid raises base of box over the transmission that I'm pretty sure part of rises several inches above the trucks chassis. Also believe that skid is part of the structural strength of the box. The Beds have the same skid. Skid is a chassis for them you might say and forces are spread along it. I do know that the battery box has to be changed if one goes to a lower height skid of box or bed for that matter. Person I bought my truck from tried it with the bed. After doing it realized you could no longer access the top of the battery box etc. so he put it all back to (almost) OEM.

Good points and much thanx for throwing your thoughts in the hat..... Keep them coming folk. Helps me and future readers make sure we've looked at it from all angles before making final design decision.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
PS... did some editing to my above post to add more clarity. Hope this stuff makes since. Look forward to replies. Shoot me down. I'll be thankfull. Might agree or disagree but it will still help me and others who review this thread.

agazza2

Ambulance Body for shelter

Just another idea to consider for your shelter. I am doing a build on my M-1082 trailer that can be moved from the trailer to the M1078 bed with a Ambulance body. They are reasonable to buy, are pre-wired for 115V, and 12V. The other benefits are they are crash tested to withstand a roll-over and side impact. There is plenty of side structure and already insulated. The low profile model is 6' high, 8' wide, and 12' long. It is a perfect fit for the LMTV bed. If you gut much of the inside out, you can have enough room for everything you mentioned above. I am only 1 month into the build and only need to complete the bathroom, shower combo, and install compartments where the wheels were located. This area will be the basement area for additional storage.

Shelter Body 2.jpg20160925_145523.jpg20160925_145516.jpgShelter Body 3.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
After searching a long while and contemplating on things.

. Decided Ambo Body is the best route.
. In reality buying short Ambo Body about the same length as bed and lobbing off lower than floor storage to where it can sit on the bed in a low profile is more complex and time-consuming than just moving wheel wells and wheel cut out of a larger Box and plop her right down on the chassis netting in more storage and still low profile.
. Hooking up a trailer to run to Lowes is easier than removing camper body
. Want to keep Solar attached to the truck so can position truck to use solar to power things at home, or at a work site where I hauled a tool shed/trailer too in order to have access to whatever tool needed. So with that trying to figure out how to have removable Ambo Box but keep solar on it was adding to the complexity.

Found an Ambo Box that included too many other components to turn down. Chassis mount brackets being a big one but also AC compressor w/pulley from the truck, Heater components, Box removed from the original truck in a manner to ease remounting to another truck etc. Good seller too who will also deliver it. Saves me from taking off work which is a $$ loss.

IMG_4401Crp.JPG

Last edited:

crazyjane

Observer
While I seem to be a little late to thread. The crash protection for cab is pretty good as its built from factory. On the way to Charleston(heading to Iraq back in 2002)we had a LMTV rear end another vehicle. The front of cab was pushed in but we were able to still drive it. We had to jump the K1 relay to start it but it still ran just fine. I've also seen a few roll on their side when operators were driving way too fast for a corner and it did push A-pillar back but no one was seriously injured. So I guess I'm saying it's a very safe cab. It weighs 3300 lbs by itself.

You may want to check out steelsoldiers.com for vehicle specific info.
GLWB!

Coachgeo

Explorer
While I seem to be a little late to thread. The crash protection for cab is pretty good as its built from factory. On the way to Charleston(heading to Iraq back in 2002)we had a LMTV rear end another vehicle. The front of cab was pushed in but we were able to still drive it. We had to jump the K1 relay to start it but it still ran just fine. I've also seen a few roll on their side when operators were driving way too fast for a corner and it did push A-pillar back but no one was seriously injured. So I guess I'm saying it's a very safe cab. It weighs 3300 lbs by itself.

You may want to check out steelsoldiers.com for vehicle specific info.
GLWB!
thanks. Good to hear. Been on SSoldiers for years. It was there and elsewhere it has been hinted the Cab Forward trucks have poor history of safety.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Always planned to have a Boondock Rescue Motorcycle (toy) to go with my past Expo project. That part of the undertaking started a decade ago AFTER my first Expo rig started coming to fruition (Dieselized 404 Unimog).. That was two plus decades ago when that started lol. Anyway Bike; now nearly a decade since it started is closer to being done. LOL... yeah... took a long ******** time. My fabricator friend has been ill off and on for years along with my having had is little a bankruptcy issue in the there as well, ate up a lot of time. But patience and not giving up is a silly old habit of mine.

So..... off to TX next week to pick up my nearly complete Dieselized 1997 Triumph Tiger. When done it will be AWESOME for Bike based adventures ...... but reality set in and now realize that bike will have to be another topic cause it's just too damn big to haul around on back of an Exp Rig. (comes in around 500lb).

-BUT !!!-

This trip will also net me a lighter diesel bike. This one will be for the present generation Expedtion Camper discussed in this thread and summer commuting. Smaller bike fits an Expo Rig much better. Bike is based on a 2002 KLR 650. Mounted in it is a CVT tranny tied to a Yanmar 418cc diesel engine. Why diesel?? (1) like having just one fuel for everything. My Genset is a diesel too. (2) It's 120ish mpg will let me go get help from WAY WAY WAY back in the boondocks or play around on many off beaten path excursions before needing some fuel. The amazing MPG's will be an odd companion to the approx. 7mpg LMTV-Ambo.

here is an old Vid. of the bike.
[video]https://youtu.be/HbDcLHvKiU8[/video]

Last edited:

OVRLND

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0017
Coach,

I thought it was possible you were also on dieselbike. Really glad to hear things are better.

I was also interested in a diesel Tiger re-power (Heiko?) for the same reasons you mentioned.
Looking forward to more information about the KLR when you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste