LMTV 1078 Camper build concept

Coachgeo

Explorer
Throwing some ideas out for ya'lls input.

Ideas based on desire to fulfill following concepts:
1. lesson degree of cab crush in roll over or Flop. Like my cranium and that of my passenger(s)
2. lower overall cost
3. Low overall height to increase adventure opportunities in wooded areas
4. Lower overall construction complexity
5. Keep it usable as a TRUCK.

I've got a start of a ROP behind the cab FWIW

For camper box was originally thinking Hi-Lo trailer like others have done but that would require heavy cage construction to meet #1 and defeats #4 so now thinking military shelters that have a strong structure that will "help" keep cab from crushing in a roll. an S280 though defeats #3 SOUNDLY. They are over 7' tall. The others are better height (Almost 6' though I'd rather 5'ish) yet they are too short in length... unless ....hmmm.... if one was too double up?

so here is my thoughts now..... too go MODULAR you might say and double up.

SUPER insulate cab. Lowers cost of AC/heat also. install fold out sleep space in Cab. Important to fulfilling all sections 1-4. something like Fold down bunk over cab seats like in RV's. Makes more since after reading below

Just a lumber rack lke thing over portion of bed or chassis now works instead of heavy cage. Acts as supports for Solar panels and to be supports for Tarp top to cover bed when all Expo gear is removed. Helps with fullfilling #5 for used as a good ol' truck is what most of it's use will be!

S250(s) One Military Shelter sitting sideways on bed. Space beyond that on bed (5 feet or so) would be for:
1. Toys (motorcycle, ATV etc.)*
.. and/or
2. onboard fuel production module (WVO, Waste Engine oil, Plastic Pyrolysis etc. that would be mixed with diesel when possible).
.. or
3. Second S250. Two 250's give overall camper length of 13ish feet. S250 design sitting sideways at rear on bed keeps Departure Angle in a Sweet spot.
.....A. First S250 built would be WET unit. Kitchen, Bath, Restroom, Living/office/Lounge. NO BED. Yes. Very Cramped. Hence the fold out cab sleeping space mentioned earlier. Appliances will also be modular though. Kitchen/cooking surface moved out onto deck has lots of advantages space/ smells/ heat etc. (Deck- Bed sides lowered out to horizontal plus a little fabrication to extend this area further.)
.....B. Second 250 built later would be DRY unit and absorb some of A's duties. It would become the sleeping area and office/lounge space.

Later the building of:
1. Trailer for hauling of Toys and Fuel production Module . Also increased storage of un-refined fuel sources and refined as well. Heck maybe even an inflatable boat :D or jetski? This opens opportunity of long extended travil AND...... when not used for that trailer can be used to haul tractor or car or a MOBILE SHOP BOX. Then again maybe shop box should sit on it's own trailer. Won't be taking that offroad. Just used at home, work, friends place etc.
A. Mobile Shop Box. I already have a large box off of a moving truck that can create this from. So with this in mind will build smaller shop/garage at home than previously planed (don't have one at all now) and incorporate the mobile shop into it. Two birds one stone.

Going modular allows to start with one portion of camper (WET) and when completed can use rig on adventures. Then time can be taken to save money for DRY's construction. Less down time, more fun time.

Going Modular also allows for:
1. adapt for trip at hand. Short trip won't need DRY S250 or Fuel production Module. Better MPG than bringing everything.
2. only need to heat/AC area in use instead of typical complete camper box. Such as in winter turn WET unit's heat down enough to keep water from freezing and turn heat up to comfort in DRY unit sleeping area. You get the idea.
3. whole thing more easily updated/redone as new ideas/resources come around.

Lot to be worked out such as:
1. how best to remove modules (S250's) working around Bed Rack.
2. Where to put spare tire. Sort of a ROP; built by previous owner sits there.
3. passage between boxes..... or maybe not even doing so. Open a door...... walk few steps.. open next door. It's really not that hard. Butt..... when your naked, at a campground, and it's not a nudist resort lol. Or it's snowing, raining etc.

* I consider an alternative mode of transportation a MUST since most time I'll be alone and not with a group. Break down would mean long *** walk. So want bicycle, motorcycle orr??? Anyway.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
s-250.jpg

An S250 shelter

drawing_s250.gif

dimensional Drawing

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You want a roll cage for just the cab or the whole truck and camper?

Have you driven a lmtv before?

Coachgeo

Explorer
You want a roll cage for just the cab or the whole truck and camper?

Have you driven a lmtv before?
Primary concern is cab. "Cage" would be GREAT but not in the cards. Idea of military boxes is it will "lessen" crush of cab making a roll or flop more survivable cause the boxes themselfs are a bit of a cage and will carry a bit of the weight in a roll or flop. If can eventually get cage in the budget then will likely do an interior cab cage. Easier to do it that way since it is tilt cab.

Have I driven one? Yes have driven one purchased few months back. If what your getting at is.. "do I know they are slow" Yes. Am very aware of traveling in what is called in some circles "Mog Speed" AKA.... you don't have to "slow down and smell the roses"...... cause you'r already slow enough to smell the Bee's piss that's landing on the roses. :D The Dieselized 404 use to own was actually faster on hwy than my LMTV is. Cruise speed will be about 50ish mph. Considering going up one tire size and do not want to do R&P upgrade that is available. While greatly improves highway speed travel you loose too much offroad capability IMHO. Course may have to rethink that now that a Detroit locker is available for rear axle. That would give back the offroad abilities lost.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Why not just install a roll bar behind the cab and then slide a pop up truck camper or pop up trailer on the back? The bed on those is like 8x13? Plenty of room for toys on the back.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We have build composite campers in Germany that survived rollovers. The truck was a write off but the camper only needed a bit of bodywork and was remounted on a new chassis.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Why not just install a roll bar behind the cab and then slide a pop up truck camper or pop up trailer on the back? The bed on those is like 8x13? Plenty of room for toys on the back.

with trucks as heavy as LMTV .. "Just a roll bar" does not cut it. Example Unimog 406 ROP is about 6" round tube and it's a lighter truck.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
As a Zombie crew manages to break into your polyethlyene cistern camper you will wish for armoured cab FMTV, and its rollover protection all in one.
If I go with Cistern it will be so can lure Zombies into it... the trap them in there throw in some acid and other chemicals to convert them into fuel. That is after centrifuging the Zombie liquid with the fuel Processor Module of course.

Now with that said.... time to get back on topic.

Last edited:

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Now this is my kind of project. I'm currently working on a Hi Lo LMTV build and have many of the same thoughts as you.

I plan on making the camper removable so I can unload it at the campsite and still use the truck and also so I can build other beds/modules for it.

I have the higher gears but haven't installed them yet and I'm definitely getting a rear locker because after doing some rock crawling I realized these trucks really need it. I don't think the higher gears will hurt it off road but if they do I can always switch them back. I just like the idea of cruising at 55-60 a little easier.

For anyone wondering, these trucks are a blast to drive. They have very good road manners and once you get use to the slower speed you don't even notice it. I drove mine 900+ miles when I picked it up and it was great. Have since put on another 1500 miles. I love it.

Here's were I'm at so far. I'm planning on starting a build thread so I won't go into too much detail here. Just thought I'd drop in to show you my take it and say I look forward to seeing what you build.

20160902_184203.jpg20160902_171338.jpg

Abnengr

IMG_0389.jpgCoachgeo, I recommend you look at the S 788 shelter made for HMMWV's. It's bigger than the 250 but smaller than the 280. I just mounted one on a standard 9 foot flatbed on a F250. Perfect fit and only weighs 600lbs empty. It is much more room than the 250 that I now have on a HMMWV trailer.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Thanx but thought about the 788. Yeah they are little bigger. Just enough so that they don't fit the planned configuration. Two of them side by side as planned is too long by a foot or so. Structural points of mounting the furthest back of two 788's would not work without chassis and or bed modifications. Also total interior space between the two... over all not loosing much going with two s250 especially when considering space under overhang of T can easily be boxed in and interior or exterior access doors added. That area is usually Black & Grey tanks and water storage as well as general storage anyway.

"T" design of the 250 is an advantage over the 788 for rear most shelter in the plan of two Side by side. The bit that will overhang the tail of the truck; since intend to mount them sideways, is the top of the "T", thus it won't affect departure angle. The structural mounting points of that rear most 250 would still sit on chassis or bed where on the 788 it would require an extenstion of bed or chassis of some sort to pick up the rear most mount points of that shelter.

It is possible as well the overhang of the T from the base on the front shelter may be an advantage as well. Tranny humps up above chassis a bit up front by cab. Bed is raised above this. With the T design and shelter sideways as planned it might can clear the hump and allow me to completely remove the bed and have boxes mounted direct to chassis (with proper flex mounts accomidated into it)

More measuring is required. Maybe the 788 wheel well would clear the hump too if went that route???

Last edited:

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Now this is my kind of project. I'm currently working on a Hi Lo LMTV build and have many of the same thoughts as you.

I plan on making the camper removable so I can unload it at the campsite and still use the truck and also so I can build other beds/modules for it.

I have the higher gears but haven't installed them yet and I'm definitely getting a rear locker because after doing some rock crawling I realized these trucks really need it. I don't think the higher gears will hurt it off road but if they do I can always switch them back. I just like the idea of cruising at 55-60 a little easier.

For anyone wondering, these trucks are a blast to drive. They have very good road manners and once you get use to the slower speed you don't even notice it. I drove mine 900+ miles when I picked it up and it was great. Have since put on another 1500 miles. I love it.

Here's were I'm at so far. I'm planning on starting a build thread so I won't go into too much detail here. Just thought I'd drop in to show you my take it and say I look forward to seeing what you build.

View attachment 366300View attachment 366299

Wow, nice build! Do you have a thread going?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Rebuilder's thread will be great read when he gets it up.

Look forward to input here on the concept of two Modular S250 camper box concepts as proposed in this thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste