Suggestions On Honda CL350

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
So with my second year of college having begun, living off campus is taking it's tole on my wallet being that my Jeep loves to get 8 mpg around town. I've always liked the idea of owning a motorcycle and with my roommate tooting around on his Honda Grom (it's adorable) getting 70 mpg, now I seriously think I'm considering a bike. I wanted something that is more than capable of cruising on the highway but within a certain a price range of $2kish, turns out that leaves me no options. That's when I remembered a bike we have back home sitting in our barn, a Honda CL350. Sentimentally, this is no ordinary bike. This bike in particular was my dad's first vehicle and the one he rode while in college during the 70's, and has been in his ownership ever since. Sadly, I haven't ever seen this bike running ever (20 years at least) so I imagine the engine and just about everything else is due for a total rebuild. Luckily, it doesn't look bad cosmetically besides minor surface rust. Besides those challenges, I would have to convince my dad to sell the bike to me, again very sentimental to him. I have talked with him and it seems there is hope that he would be willing to part with the bike knowing it would remain in the family. I have no issue doing all the rebuilding myself, and likely with my dad, since this is a bike and much easier to tear apart than a full sized vehicle.

What do y'all think? Besides engine, fuel system, gas tank, carburetor, electrical, brakes, and gearbox what else do you think needs to heavily looked over? I figured I would start with this crowd first and see where it goes. Here is the only photo I have currently.
IMG_3954-768x1024.jpg

Thanks
-G

andoor

Observer
I rebuilt a 75 CB360 a couple of years ago. For a bike that has been sitting a while you should expect to replace any wearable part. So any seal, bushing, bearing, cable, and any rubber part that has degraded. Luckily I did not have to rebuild the engine, but everything else needed attention. As for highway drive-ability I don't think a 350 is your best option. My 360 really likes 45-50 mph back roads, but sustained 60+ is pushing it. I even re-geared for better top end. The bike is awesome for around town and back roads. For me to restore mine an replace basically everything but the engine internals the project cost me about 3k that includes the cost of two bikes I started with ($400). Check out by build on Do The Ton http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13642.0

IMG_0348.JPG

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I rebuilt a 75 CB360 a couple of years ago. For a bike that has been sitting a while you should expect to replace any wearable part. So any seal, bushing, bearing, cable, and any rubber part that has degraded. Luckily I did not have to rebuild the engine, but everything else needed attention. As for highway drive-ability I don't think a 350 is your best option. My 360 really likes 45-50 mph back roads, but sustained 60+ is pushing it. I even re-geared for better top end. The bike is awesome for around town and back roads. For me to restore mine an replace basically everything but the engine internals the project cost me about 3k that includes the cost of two bikes I started with ($400).
View attachment 366145

Everything I've read with 350s is that they more than capable of cruising at 65-70 mph, maybe my research isn't correct. Even then, going those speeds would be in fairly rare cases. I have a 2 mile commute total to get to school and the speed limit the entire way is 25 mph.

You said $3k was your cost, $2.6k subtracting bike cost. What would you say your cost was for all needs to get the bike running properly and functional, disregarding cosmetics say like rust fixes, re-chrome, etc. I've done the basic cost search and it seems that an engine rebuild kit will run me in the ballpark of $300-$500, including engine seals. Again, I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics of the bike since the for the most it looks in good shape plus some surface rust patina, I just need it to function.

By the way, pretty 360

andoor

Observer
Yea these bikes will do high way speeds just fine but it will be really up there in the rpms and could make the ride uncomfortable for long trips. Plus some of these older honda motors have some some oiling issues when they are run at high rpms for long amounts of time. Short highway blasts will be fine, and a CB will be much more stable at speed than a grom.

As for the rebuild if you are doing all the work yourself and keeping it mostly stock you should be able to put together a pretty nice bike for around $1000.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Yea these bikes will do high way speeds just fine but it will be really up there in the rpms and could make the ride uncomfortable for long trips. Plus some of these older honda motors have some some oiling issues when they are run at high rpms for long amounts of time. Short highway blasts will be fine, and a CB will be much more stable at speed than a grom.

As for the rebuild if you are doing all the work yourself and keeping it mostly stock you should be able to put together a pretty nice bike for around $1000.

Yes, I plan to keep it pretty stock.

That's what I needed to hear! Thank you for your information.

evilfij

Explorer
How was the bike stored? No fuel? Oil in the cylinders? Does the engine turn? Do the brakes and clutch and trans move? I would be inclined to try to get it running before spending money on what could be way too much of an issue. Service the engine (oil in cylinder if it is stuck but if it is you are probably doing a rebuild at a minimum), clean the tank well, make sure the fuel lines are good (basically replace anything rubber) and see if she runs. If she does, then go to sorting the rest out.

I have a similar issue with a bike but it has only been sitting 5 years so not as bad but I had a corroded battery I had to deal with and who knows what else so basically all I did was stabilize it, drained the old fuel (thankfully it had stabil and the fuel was shut off to the carbs). Engine is next but I think it should be fine with a service.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
How was the bike stored? No fuel? Oil in the cylinders? Does the engine turn? Do the brakes and clutch and trans move? I would be inclined to try to get it running before spending money on what could be way too much of an issue. Service the engine (oil in cylinder if it is stuck but if it is you are probably doing a rebuild at a minimum), clean the tank well, make sure the fuel lines are good (basically replace anything rubber) and see if she runs. If she does, then go to sorting the rest out.

I have a similar issue with a bike but it has only been sitting 5 years so not as bad but I had a corroded battery I had to deal with and who knows what else so basically all I did was stabilize it, drained the old fuel (thankfully it had stabil and the fuel was shut off to the carbs). Engine is next but I think it should be fine with a service.

I am unsure of how the bike was stored but if I had to give a guess it was likely stored without fuel left in the tank. My dad said he would add some extra oil in the cylinders to see if anything moves. Luckily the bike has never been stored outside, only in a garage and now barn. I planned to replace every line; fuel lines, brake lines, etc. After spending a bit of time around a '71 FJ40 I learned real quick that it would be smart to service just about every line or rubber piece you could find

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is probably going to be a real "project" so at this point I'd ask: Are you looking for a project or are you just looking for a bike?
When you're talking about something this old, you can generally figure it's going to take twice as much time and at least twice as much $$ as you think it's going to take, and that's probably being conservative.
On the plus side, there are a lot of people who restore these old Hondas so finding replacement parts shouldn't be too difficult. Just be prepared for a LOT of work.
As far are the premise of buying a bike to 'save money', you do realize that that's just a lie we tell our wives and girlfriends, right? ;)
Motorcycles don't save money, they cost money, so don't kid yourself. By the time you figure the cost to buy, fix up, register, buy tires, etc, you'll be well past the cost of a beater Corolla or Civic.
So if "saving money" is the sole objective, pass up on the bike and just get the beater. Unlike the Honda you can fill the back seat with groceries or friends and you won't have to figure out alternative transportation when there's snow or ice on the roads.
Not trying to discourage you - I have two bikes in my garage - but keep a realistic perspective. Motorcycles can be a relatively cheap hobby, as motorized hobbies go, but having a motorcycle will ALWAYS be more expensive than not having one.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
This is probably going to be a real "project" so at this point I'd ask: Are you looking for a project or are you just looking for a bike?
When you're talking about something this old, you can generally figure it's going to take twice as much time and at least twice as much $$ as you think it's going to take, and that's probably being conservative.
On the plus side, there are a lot of people who restore these old Hondas so finding replacement parts shouldn't be too difficult. Just be prepared for a LOT of work.
As far are the premise of buying a bike to 'save money', you do realize that that's just a lie we tell our wives and girlfriends, right? ;)
Motorcycles don't save money, they cost money, so don't kid yourself. By the time you figure the cost to buy, fix up, register, buy tires, etc, you'll be well past the cost of a beater Corolla or Civic.
So if "saving money" is the sole objective, pass up on the bike and just get the beater. Unlike the Honda you can fill the back seat with groceries or friends and you won't have to figure out alternative transportation when there's snow or ice on the roads.
Not trying to discourage you - I have two bikes in my garage - but keep a realistic perspective. Motorcycles can be a relatively cheap hobby, as motorized hobbies go, but having a motorcycle will ALWAYS be more expensive than not having one.

As much as I wish I could pick up a beater Civic or Corolla, that isn't an option. I live in a house with 3 other roommates, each who have their own car (with the exception of one who has the Grom and car) so having a 2nd car isn't even a realistic option. Our one car garage can't even fit any of our cars (it's too tiny). That's why I'm considering a bike. The only reason I'm currently considering the 350 is because it is already at home and the take down process could possibly begin before I even get back home this winter. I don't mind a project, I had an '71 FJ40 that needed plenty of work before my Jeep. In all honesty, I can survive the next two semesters with my Jeep's subpar mpg. The goal for me was to find a bike by Fall 2017 (important details I left out). With that deadline, I can get a dead bike working and functional in that time.

It's a good thing I don't have a wife or girlfriend:)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well if a bike is what you want then you might want to get something newer than the old CL. I think the old CL would make a great project or hobby but living with it day in and day out would be a PITA. For less than the cost of restoring the CL you can get a late-model dual sport that will zip you around town at 80mpg and start with the push of a button every time.

I would look at something like the Kawasaki Super Sherpa, Suzuki DR200SE, Yamaha TW200 (one of my favorites, the "fat tire" dirt bike), XT225, KLR 250, etc. Any of those can be found in decent condition for $2000 or less.

BTW my very first bike was a Honda CL450. ;)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My first, when I was 16 was a CB550 Super Sport. Not just my first bike...my first vehicle. What a maniac I was. Lucky to be alive.

That 350 is a "barn find". So do the barn find thing. Hose it off. See if it turns over. Rinse out the tank and put a gallon in it. New piece of fuel line. Hose the carb out with carb cleaner. Pull the plugs and pour a little (very little) oil in the cylinders. Check the points.

Kick it though a few times. Turn it on. Keep kicking.

More than half the time you'll end up with a big stupid grin on your face watching it splutter and smoke until it warms up and the rings reseat.

Air up those crusty old tires and do some putt putt loops around the barnyard.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
What kind of Jeep gets 8mpg? A Chev big block & low gears ?
My 12,000 pound Unimog does around 12.

Anyway, old Hondas can be great. Alot depends how well they were laid-up.
Good luck to it & you.

To answer your first question: an 05 TJ Rubicon and a 2 mile commute each day that goes up and down the hills of the University of Arkansas:) And thank you.

I think I'll give dwh's idea a try. Might try and see if my dad can go ahead and try to get her to sputter this weekend. Maybe with a little luck the internals are sitting pretty and she is just in need of some fresh gaskets and some love in general. My dad happened to send another photo showing that the bike only has 6852.5 miles on it, I'm unfamiliar with milage on bikes versus normal cars and such but I assume that's pretty darn low.

jkam

nomadic man
On the farm we just bought, sitting in the barn for at least 10 years was a Suzuki TL250 quad. No battery and some of the body work is cracked. Pulled it out of the barn,power washed it, filled the tires with air, bought a new battery and put some fuel in the tank.
Took about 10 minutes of playing with the choke and throttle but she fired up and now does duty on the farm.

So, try the dwh way, it probably will work. Ride it around and see from there.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Figured I would give y'all a brief update: My dad went ahead and put some oil in the cylinders and everything moved! Gas tank inside has minimal to no rust based on a simple observation and he went ahead and did a compression test indicating one cylinder with low compression (likely piston rings needing to reseated or replaced), but Thanksgiving Break I'll replace a few goodies and see if we can get her kicking.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Sweet. With only 7k miles (that's nothing BTW), and it "ran when parked", it's highly unlikely to have broken rings.

That's one reason to pour a capful of oil in the cylinders...to help it have enough compression to start.

Often, old abandoned 2-strokes won't fire up at all without that trick to help them out. No matter if you keep kicking till your leg falls off. Don't ask me how I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles