1987 Hilux SR5 Turbo Build

The FJ60/62's have vents in the rear of the front fenders that help extract the hot air from the engine bay. There is even a blower fan that vents from the driver side fender opening.

Finding a suitable location for venting is going to be the hard part. Visually, they can be nasty things to look at, but I'm sure with enough research, you will be able to come up with something. Hood lovers are ugly as hell, but there's a reason they exist, so maybe get another hood and have some louvers punched in it and try the theory before you make too many changes to your existing hood.

One trick we used on the race cars, for engine bay heat extraction, we would remove the rubber weather stripping that seals off the rear of the engine bay at the top of the cowl, at the back of the hood. This helped a lot. On a Toyota truck, you might also remove the strip at the front of the hood to get some fresh air in atop the radiator support. I doubt this would affect the flow across the radiator. Heck, it may even help. Removing the hard rubber splash guards at the lower inner fender wells would probably help too.

I guess there are a million ways to skin this cat. You're just going to have to try and see what works.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
There was a build on Pirate from WAY back, where the guy grafted a hood scoop into his 3rd gen pickup hood.

I believe he got it off a 3rd gen 4runner, and it looked pretty slick. Pair that with allowing some air out of the back of the hood as previously mentioned and that might help you out some more.

Africanhilux

Observer
The FJ60/62's have vents in the rear of the front fenders that help extract the hot air from the engine bay. There is even a blower fan that vents from the driver side fender opening.

Finding a suitable location for venting is going to be the hard part. Visually, they can be nasty things to look at, but I'm sure with enough research, you will be able to come up with something. Hood lovers are ugly as hell, but there's a reason they exist, so maybe get another hood and have some louvers punched in it and try the theory before you make too many changes to your existing hood.

One trick we used on the race cars, for engine bay heat extraction, we would remove the rubber weather stripping that seals off the rear of the engine bay at the top of the cowl, at the back of the hood. This helped a lot. On a Toyota truck, you might also remove the strip at the front of the hood to get some fresh air in atop the radiator support. I doubt this would affect the flow across the radiator. Heck, it may even help. Removing the hard rubber splash guards at the lower inner fender wells would probably help too.

I guess there are a million ways to skin this cat. You're just going to have to try and see what works.

There was a build on Pirate from WAY back, where the guy grafted a hood scoop into his 3rd gen pickup hood.

I believe he got it off a 3rd gen 4runner, and it looked pretty slick. Pair that with allowing some air out of the back of the hood as previously mentioned and that might help you out some more.

Thanks for the advice, guys! It's greatly appreciated!

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Lots of examples for the hood scoop portion if you Google search for "3.4 swap hood scoop." I recognize the more difficult part will be routing the air out to get good cooling flow.

I'm working on a fiberglass hood scoop to cover my hole right now. Here's a shot of the mold I made to lay up the glass. I'll keep you posted if it goes well.

https://flic.kr/p/YPJyjF

Africanhilux

Observer
I should really update this thread more often...
Check out my IG for more frequent updates

I got the engine apart and found the problem
IMG_2252.JPGIMG_2268.JPGIMG_2309.JPG

Lots of metal shavings
IMG_2280.JPG

Oil pan looked like this
IMG_2274.JPG

Looked like the back crank bearing spun, which wouldn't be that bad to fix, but I was in the middle of nowhere when it happened and had to get to a place with cell service. Driving back to cell reception ruined everything! The bearing disintegrated, and the metal shavings from it went everywhere. The oil filter caught what it could, and the rest went through the oil squirters and crankshaft journals, and thus ruined the other bearings.

Africanhilux

Observer
I did the math and figured it would be cheaper to buy a new engine rather than rebuilding the one I had, so a new engine was on its way. When I took the engine out I realized that one of the original engine mounts completely tore! Who knew that 30 year old mounts designed for 100hp can't handle 1JZ powa! I replaced them with Trail-Gear bombproof mounts. Cannot feel engine engine vibrations with these mounts, staight 6's are smoooth!
IMG_2341.JPG

Africanhilux

Observer
The new engine arrived, and I put it in (it's a lot faster the second time around)!
IMG_2364.JPG

And put in new outer tie rods. Now the wheels actually move when you turn the steering wheel!
IMG_2367.JPG

Africanhilux

Observer
Literally a week later I rolled it
IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2385.JPG

It happened at slow speed, I was (stupidly) in 2wd on a narrow road, and hit a patch of ice. The back swung out and I tried to correct it, but because of the extremely slow steering rack by the time I corrected the initial slide it went the other way, went off the road, and slooowly rolled over.

Africanhilux

Observer
Since then I've fixed the core support and some of the bodywork.
It also snowed sideways
IMG_2416.JPG

Took the canopy off
IMG_20180220_143947.jpgIMG_20180221_112203_667.jpg

Put it up for sale, so I put the canopy back on
IMG_20180216_170637.jpg

A couple days later I decided to keep it and couldn't believe that I ever wanted to get rid of it!

Africanhilux

Observer
I drove around with the damaged body panels for a bit while trying to deal with a local junkyard to get a 4runner to use as parts
IMG_20180327_145624_495.jpg
IMG_20180328_142337_382.jpg
IMG_20180403_090358_909.jpg

Africanhilux

Observer
I was FINALLY able to work with the junkyard, and got the 4runner
IMG_20180320_150309.jpg

Had to winch it up next to the house
IMG_20180324_122105_257.jpg

Transferred the gray interior, fenders, and bonnet
IMG_20180402_102959_349.jpg
IMG_20180331_162612_887.jpg

I moved the intercooler on top of the engine to try to improve radiator efficiency, and cut a hole in the old bonnet.
I put the old bonnet back on while I wait for the scoop to arrive so that I know where to cut the hole in the new bonnet.
IMG_20180405_093820_107.jpg

Now this build thread is back up to date!:rolleyes:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Great build! Those wheels fit the truck perfectly. I wish i had the time, fab skill, and mechanical know how to swap out my 3.0 for a 1jz. Keep up the good work. Staying tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles