My 2004 6.0L Excursion Build

Bought it on May 20, 2015, to this point, with all the house stuff I've had to do, I'm just getting started on my build.

2004 6.0L Ford Excursion 4x4, Eddie Bauer Edition.
207,348 Miles
Green in Color
I've put 22,243 miles on it to date

What I have done so far: Total Costs of Maintenance and Repairs to date $5,114.57
Mishimoto Radiator (as stuff breaks replace it with better)
Set of Goodrich All-Terrain KO2
Ford OEM Reman Injectors
Blue Spring Kit and Banjo Bolts
Dummy Plugs, and Stand Pipes
EGR Delete
Updated Turbo Feed and Drain Tubes
DashBoss 6.0 Powerstroke Bundle
Rotella T-6
Archoil AR6200 Fuel Additive
Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive

Future Plans:
F250 Springs
Front and Rear Bumpers
Winch
Roof Crossbars
ARB Air Lockers
On-Board Air
Storage drawers for the rear cargo area

Future plans for a trailer build. For camping needs, five people in the family.
Complete Tool Kit for all trail repairs
1548e9d3a5033df00679d32c701e7188.jpg

Last edited:

Rally

Have the head studs been done? Definitely worth having the 4' straight exhaust done as well as a reprogram

Have the head studs been done? Definitely worth having the 4' straight exhaust done as well as a reprogram

No head studs yet, I'm waiting on for it to have a problem that leads to it. No tune, and an exhaust is in the plans when it breaks and needs fixed. I'm very aware of all the 6.0L problems, and have been studying on them since I bought it.

Last edited:

RPhil

Adventurer
It seems like we have had quite a few Excursion threads popping out over the last few months. Looking forward to your build. Keep an eye on Craigslist for your springs, should be able to get them cheap (got mine for 300). It will drive like a new truck when you get them on.

What are your plans for OBA? That's in the back of my mind as well.

Cheers

It seems like we have had quite a few Excursion threads popping out over the last few months. Looking forward to your build. Keep an eye on Craigslist for your springs, should be able to get them cheap (got mine for 300). It will drive like a new truck when you get them on.

What are your plans for OBA? That's in the back of my mind as well.

Cheers

SDtrucksprings.com has a great price on new springs.

OBA will be an ARB kit or a Viair, most likely. going to be a slow build, with a $100 per week budget, wife and three kids, got to go on a budget.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Man at this rate we're going to need to start an Overland Excursion club with yearly trips haha. Welcome and glad to see you are starting a build thread! Im interested to hear your thoughts on the 6.0. I hear they are fast but also fast to have issues.

Man at this rate we're going to need to start an Overland Excursion club with yearly trips haha. Welcome and glad to see you are starting a build thread! Im interested to hear your thoughts on the 6.0. I hear they are fast but also fast to have issues.

One word answer to 6.0L problems: "Maintenance"

justcuz

Explorer
Between the Excursions and Suburbans plus lots of trucks the full size trend is gaining strength. Plus Christope's new article about how many small and medium size SUV's have vacated the market, what's a guy to do?
I also believe that once full size vehicles started achieving mileage figures comparible to smaller vehicles there was no incentive to buy downsized vehicles any longer. The price difference was not enough to justify not stepping up either.
I have not confirmed this but a friend recently told me that you can spend as much as 65,000 on a new JKU!
If true that is nuts!

Between the Excursions and Suburbans plus lots of trucks the full size trend is gaining strength. Plus Christope's new article about how many small and medium size SUV's have vacated the market, what's a guy to do?
I also believe that once full size vehicles started achieving mileage figures comparible to smaller vehicles there was no incentive to buy downsized vehicles any longer. The price difference was not enough to justify not stepping up either.
I have not confirmed this but a friend recently told me that you can spend as much as 65,000 on a new JKU!
If true that is nuts!

That's why I'm working on a 2004 platform, the price of new vehicles are stupid, and a new diesel is insanity!! and plus you have to deal with all the emissions stuff with the new vehicles.

justcuz

Explorer
That's why I'm working on a 2004 platform, the price of new vehicles are stupid, and a new diesel is insanity!! and plus you have to deal with all the emissions stuff with the new vehicles.

Amen brother! Although I have to admit I did buy the wife a new 2015 Suburban last year. I got it at GMS pricing and my Mom is 91, our family used all 6 of her certificates this year. When she is gone so is the deal.

Amen brother! Although I have to admit I did buy the wife a new 2015 Suburban last year. I got it at GMS pricing and my Mom is 91, our family used all 6 of her certificates this year. When she is gone so is the deal.

Bought the wife a 2016 jeep patriot fwd, only two options a standard were auto trans and a/c, has manual door locks and Windows, $16,998, just to have reliable transportation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build is moving slow! Saving money and trying to decide the route to take. Did a little maintenance work on the girl this weekend, changed the fuel filters and added the DashBoss.com fuel pressure kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles