Overland Adventures - the journey to a new life

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Best of luck in your endeavors. The determination to create a business around your passion is admirable, and increasingly rare.

I have zero knowledge of the adventure travel business, so consider this a rookie question.

Why such a broad multi-country focus instead of specializing in a smaller geography for your tours?

Look forward to hearing more as the plan unfolds.

R

That is a good question. My reply is, boredom. That and there is so much to see and do in Latin America why just sit in one place? If we were to sit in one place and do the same trips over and over we would get bored fairly fast. So the plan is to move around a lot more and having vehicles makes for an adventure tourism company that can be very mobile.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I have never used GPS, I am old school map and compass guy. Sure I have used the generic GPS on my phone locally but it often frustrates me more than helps me.

However, we just purchased a Garmin Oregon waterproof handheld GPS. In addition on recommendations from forum members I have loaded HEMA maps on my iPhone as well as Google Earth and Google maps. We will be tracking our progress both for ourselves and for the public. Anything we feel is extra special in terms of locations that we may provide guided trips for in the future will very likely be just for us but there is much we can share with the public. For example circumnavigation of Isla Angel de la Guarda in Baja via the TRAK Kayaks. This will be a multi day trip out of the kayaks that anybody could go and do and as such we plan to track our route and upload the maps for all to use and see. It is going to be interesting for me learning to use GPS and everything that comes with that, for the last 30+yrs all my travel has been with map and compass. Perhaps it will relieve a bit of stress though traveling through populated areas in Latin America. I have been good and lost many times down there in big cities, while that is an adventure and I don't mind getting lost I also won't mind not driving around in circles in a big Latin city for hours on end.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers has joined our team of sponsors! I have known Georg for awhile now, in fact he has my old Warn 6x6 Pinzgauer.

I will be stopping by the Valley Hybrids shop on my way south through California to get front & rear harrop e-lockers installed and a brake upgrade as well.

Less than 4-weeks now till departure!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh ya, our TRAK Kayaks showed up yesterday! These are a new color scheme and design which I can't show in detail until they are released in early 2017. However, we have boats!! :wings:

TRAK.jpg

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I wish your endeavour well. Very cool/

Thank you!!

Getting close now, I leave Wyoming in 2-weeks from today.

Our sponsors are coming through, we got all our Adventure Medical Kits gear and our Stolhquist gear. Both were very needed. I have been to my travel doctor, got shots I needed and a bunch of prescripts. Closed down one of my bank accounts, down to just one now. Got all kinds of gear we needed in hand as well; white water helmets, paddles, fishing rods, backpacking boots, tents and more.

Seeker Fishing rods and Rick who owns the company was super helpful and supportive. I am not a very experienced ocean fisherman, been living in the mountains 20yrs. He guided me and helped me selected rods and man are they sweet rods! I am making a PVC pipe fishing rod holder for my roof rack. Should also have new XS Power batteries before I leave as well which are needed. The truck is really coming together as well as the adventure gear. Getting really excited now to hit the road!

Total Chaos didn't come through but that is ok.

No fancy or high end camera gear for us but we got the DJI drone and I picked up an Osmo as well. We also have a GoPro and I have an older Cannon G10 with diving housing, bunch of lens and such. We are just going to have to try harder and work better to get the pictures we want. A high end camera just wasn't in our budget.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Leaving on Monday the 2nd. Wow it has been a slog to get to this point! Over six months I have been working on this a lot. These last couple weeks I have worked many days in the shop over 12hrs and a few over 16hrs. I am getting really tired but I must push on because soon I am on the road!

It will all pay off when I am in Mexico which will be by the second week in January. I plan to take it easy the first couple weeks. I have a lot of gear I have not even looked at yet since I have just been pushing so hard to get ready. I need to recharge my batteries for a couple weeks before I start playing hard, I am feeling a bit worn out both mentally and physically.

Stay tuned!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Left Wyoming last Friday. Already been to Boise and Eugene, Oregon. In Stockton, California now getting ready to do the last round to the truck tomorrow.

Plan to be in Mexico a week from today.

Cheers

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Awesome, enjoy! :sombrero:
Left Wyoming last Friday. Already been to Boise and Eugene, Oregon. In Stockton, California now getting ready to do the last round to the truck tomorrow.

Plan to be in Mexico a week from today.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Been in Mexico for nearly three weeks now. Very spotty cell service down in Baja as well as wifi. Mostly been off the grid the last three weeks. Just got to Todo Santos last night. Two or three more weeks here in Baja and we are off to mainland Mexico!

Canon 053.jpg

Canon 056.jpg

TRAK 2.0 6.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2496.jpg
IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2498.JPG

Still in Baja for a little while longer. We are leaving fairly soon. Been all over and done a lot here. Without a real connection and my laptop I can't post much. All this is from my phone.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles