Overland Adventures - the journey to a new life

stclair

Adventurer
We just bought a 2004 Land Cruiser, so of course I've been back "cruising" the Portal as well. Started reading your 100 thread, and now this. Since we're off the road now for a bit, I'll go ahead and follow this to see how the Land Cruiser works out. Bought it for Carrie's work, but now I'm thinking about another trip south! Have fun!

RND1

Observer
@RMP&O - thanks for posting your story here. It's always fascinating to live vicariously through the travels of others! I'm curious about a couple of things which you may or may not care to share: what were your businesses in the states? Did you sell them and are you now able to live off the proceeds for an extended period of time? I am married with 3 young kids, a mortgage, and 3 empty college funds so I will not be doing what you've done anytime soon lol, but I'm always interested to read about others who were able to take the path less traveled.

Secondly, I'm intrigued by the Trak Kayaks. I have an NDK Explorer Sea Kayak that I tour the coastal waters of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine with. The Trak boats in your pics look like a fiberglass sea kayak like mine and I can't figure out how they possibly fold into that bag? What is the material?

I have a 2003 LC and hope to do a cross country trip to the 100's in the Hills event in Silverton, CO this summer with one of my kids. Wife and other 2 said "No Way!". Mine is stock so just planning on some BFG KO2's and taking the family friendly trails.

altaboy

Observer
RMP&O: Just picked up on your SOB (south of border....not the other interpretation) travels as been on the "injured reserve list" as of late.

Curious: Why hard kayaks versus inflatables? My wife and I have an inflatable Sea Eagle FastTrack 385. I'm pretty impressed (and THAT is hard to do)! Have used it in mild (2' face surf) w/o issue (that is punching out/one way tickets in).

Also: with all the "fun stuff" hanging off the rig, any concerns w. theft while you are away playing (especially underground)?

Finally, any run-ins with those often NOB (north of border) mentioned "bad hombres"?

As you may know, I'm also a 100 series person (along with the 60 series). Any problems w. spare parts?

thanks!

stclair

Adventurer
@RMP&O - thanks for posting your story here. It's always fascinating to live vicariously through the travels of others! I'm curious about a couple of things which you may or may not care to share: what were your businesses in the states? Did you sell them and are you now able to live off the proceeds for an extended period of time? I am married with 3 young kids, a mortgage, and 3 empty college funds so I will not be doing what you've done anytime soon lol, but I'm always interested to read about others who were able to take the path less traveled.

Secondly, I'm intrigued by the Trak Kayaks. I have an NDK Explorer Sea Kayak that I tour the coastal waters of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine with. The Trak boats in your pics look like a fiberglass sea kayak like mine and I can't figure out how they possibly fold into that bag? What is the material?

I have a 2003 LC and hope to do a cross country trip to the 100's in the Hills event in Silverton, CO this summer with one of my kids. Wife and other 2 said "No Way!". Mine is stock so just planning on some BFG KO2's and taking the family friendly trails.

Not sure how he did it, but I can tell you we saw lots of families on the road. We also found it cheaper to live on the road, than it had been living a normal life. We sold our house, saved a bit, and went. Setting up shop after travel wasn't hard either...just save some for that too. You can do it!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

Hey thanks for following along! I owned a landscape business for 18yrs and a truck restoration business for a lot of years as well. The landscape thing was seasonal, April-November and I would do the truck thing all year but focused on it in the winter. No I didn't exactly sell my companies, more dissolved them. Tried to sell the landscape thing for over six months, it was a great thing for somebody. Where I was though it is hard to find employees, very hard, among other issues so I only had tire kickers. In the end I took a heck of a lot less for all my stuff than I should have but it is just stuff and was my way out and a means to an end. No I am not living on savings, I came with very little in the grand scheme of things. It is easily $30k to drive to Tierra del Fuego over 2yrs and that is being frugal as well as not visiting all countries. I came with not even enough to make it half way. I am creating a new lifestyle as well as career as I go. So far it has been a challenge but I knew it wasn't going to be easy so no surprise there. The toughest times may still be ahead of me but I am ready to take it on and do what I must to follow the dream.

The material is a military-grade polyurethane, think of the same kind of stuff white water rafts are made of. IE, rubber and very tough. So they are a skin on frame boat, like the Inuits used over 10,000 years ago. The frame is made from aluminum and is like big tent poles, kinda. Shock cord between the poles anyways. The two halves are put together separately and then slid into the skin. After this the two ends are attached to each other via the seat framework and x3 hydraulic hand jacks. The jacks allow cranking of the hull of the boat, in particular the rocker giving the hull a nice arch which is best for rough water and maneuvering.

You can read much more about the boats here,
http://www.trakkayaks.com/pages/seeker-kayak

Since TRAK is one of my biggest sponsors of course I am going to push the brand. They are really awesome boats, super fast and sleek on the water. They do require a bit of getting used to and if you are a really big guy you would definitely want to test one before buying. In Baja though we helped an elderly gentleman take his new TRAK out for the first time. He was over 6ft and around 250lbs. He fit in the boat and before long was paddling around, if you have experience with kayaks you will feel comfortable with a TRAK out of the bag but I will go as far as to say they are more of a performance boat than say a Wilderness Systems 16 footer. TRAK is releasing the 2.0 version of their boats right now. Screaming deal on them compared to what they cost retail.

http://ultimate.trakkayaks.com/

Right on, I know a few guys who have attended that event. I hear it is great! My 100 has been treating me well. Comfy, capable and is not complaining about weighing in at 8,000lbs!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
RMP&O: Just picked up on your SOB (south of border....not the other interpretation) travels as been on the "injured reserve list" as of late.

Curious: Why hard kayaks versus inflatables? My wife and I have an inflatable Sea Eagle FastTrack 385. I'm pretty impressed (and THAT is hard to do)! Have used it in mild (2' face surf) w/o issue (that is punching out/one way tickets in).

Please see above, they are not hard shell kayaks they are collapsible kayaks. So that means they are a skin of frame that all breaks down into a "golf club" sized bag. For me it is the perfect boat for overlanding, especially if you are international. The size of the bag meets the limit requirements for airline travel as well. The TRAKS are really durable for what they are. We put them to the test pretty good in Baja, we took tons of footage for an upcoming video TRAK is doing to release the 2.0 version of their boats. Things like paddling the boats into sharp rocks on purpose.

Also: with all the "fun stuff" hanging off the rig, any concerns w. theft while you are away playing (especially underground)?

Yes absolutely! This isn't my first time though, been to Panama and back twice already with a very very nice 2003 Tacoma. Although with that truck I didn't have anything outside besides surfboards and my spare tire. That is just not possible with the Land Cruiser. I have looked at getting a trailer here in Mexico while I am home based in Guanajuato but it has turned into a "manana manana" thing so it is not going to happen. I would have to ditch it too before shipping the truck to Colombia since the trailer would add to much expense to the shipping for me. I will probably lighten my load at some point, already have with some parts I have installed on my truck here in GTO, GTO is short for Guanajuato. The trick and key is to not drive at night, park in a safe place when you camp or whatnot. Always keep the truck locked and somebody watching it. A $1-5 tip to the night watchman at a hostel goes a long ways. So far I have never been a victim down here to theft, I contribute that to bedding down where I know my truck is safe. Previous trips and now this one so far and I have over 29,000 miles logged in Latin America over more than 10 months. *knock on wood*!!!

Finally, any run-ins with those often NOB (north of border) mentioned "bad hombres"?

No sir! I have seen some things in all my travels down here, like the last trip to Panama three very recently burned up, overturned and shot up high dollar SUVs on the HWY. But no, never any problems with bad hombres although I am sure we have passed by each other many times. It is something you don't tend to think about down here after a month or so. I always have my guard up and am on the look out for trouble but after a month or so it is much more relaxed because I get in "the mode" so to speak.

*edit* Not trying to scare anybody with this but yesterday on the Gulf Coast near Poza Rica I saw an tourist bus on the side of the road, the windshield was full of bullet holes!!!! It looked like it had been sitting awhile though, like a few years or more. Today just outside Villahermosa I saw an Audi R8!! That is one serious sports car and the nicest and most expensive car I have ever seen on my travels here in Mexico. No idea if the driver was cartel or legitimate business owner. He honked and gave me a thumbs up! I gave him a thumbs up back because I am a car guy and it is one super cool car!!

As you may know, I'm also a 100 series person (along with the 60 series). Any problems w. spare parts?

thanks!

Not yet! I did tons of work to bring the truck up to par plus it was/is a low mile 100. Only had 124k on it when I bought it, I am now just over 142k. I brought a bunch of parts too, like everything I have done to the truck in the last couple weeks I had with me. Lower radiator hose, power steering hoses, oil filter, ect ect. I was able to pick up Mobil 1 full synthetic here in GTO. The 100 was sold in a lot of markets down here, in CA and SA just not in Mexico. And a lot of markets got the TD and 5spd. I am also a long time Cruiser guy, have had 60's, 80's and now this 100. My first one was way back in 1991, an 87 FJ60 with 40k on it when I bought that truck! I am a pretty hardcore Cruiser guy.

Cheers

Last edited:

RND1

Observer
Hey thanks for following along! I owned a landscape business for 18yrs and a truck restoration business for a lot of years as well. The landscape thing was seasonal, April-November and I would do the truck thing all year but focused on it in the winter. No I didn't exactly sell my companies, more dissolved them. Tried to sell the landscape thing for over six months, it was a great thing for somebody. Where I was though it is hard to find employees, very hard, among other issues so I only had tire kickers. In the end I took a heck of a lot less for all my stuff than I should have but it is just stuff and was my way out and a means to an end. No I am not living on savings, I came with very little in the grand scheme of things. It is easily $30k to drive to Tierra del Fuego over 2yrs and that is being frugal as well as not visiting all countries. I came with not even enough to make it half way. I am creating a new lifestyle as well as career as I go. So far it has been a challenge but I knew it wasn't going to be easy so no surprise there. The toughest times may still be ahead of me but I am ready to take it on and do what I must to follow the dream.

What a great story - thanks for sharing. I've gone through trying to sell a couple of businesses myself and it's not easy. I did okay with one and the other I had to dissolve. Great life learning in those experiences though. Best part of owning your own business is learning to have the mindset to seek opportunities to start a new business/career, which is what you're doing. With lots of hard work and a bit of luck, you'll get there and I hope you'll let us follow along!

Keep the stories and pics coming. BTW, I registered for 100's in the Hills yesterday so I'll be doing my first cross country trek in the Land Cruiser - can't wait to see the mountains of Colorado for the first time.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What a great story - thanks for sharing. I've gone through trying to sell a couple of businesses myself and it's not easy. I did okay with one and the other I had to dissolve. Great life learning in those experiences though. Best part of owning your own business is learning to have the mindset to seek opportunities to start a new business/career, which is what you're doing. With lots of hard work and a bit of luck, you'll get there and I hope you'll let us follow along!

Keep the stories and pics coming. BTW, I registered for 100's in the Hills yesterday so I'll be doing my first cross country trek in the Land Cruiser - can't wait to see the mountains of Colorado for the first time.

Hey no worries! Thanks for the positive feedback! Life is a journey right? We all do it our own way but it is still a journey. ;)

I find when I am down (unmotivated or whatever) that I just think about what I have done before. I started my landscape business when I was 26yrs old. It was very successful. I learned a lot on that journey, more than I can describe here. I take what I learned and know and apply it to something new. For me the key(s) are to stay positive, focused and motivated. I don't have a family, mortgage and all the things most people my age have. So if and when I feel down I tell myself, hey man you are ahead of the game, do it! It can be incredibly hard but through self reflection as well as respect for others I can achieve my goals.

At my age I am no super star, no master of anything, I am just a guy who is willing to toss it all into the wind and go for it. Come hell or high water I will fail or succeed and either way it is a lesson, a learning experience. If I end up broke in Brazil or something, hey at least I gave it my all and tried with everything I have. I am not looking to inspire anybody, I am on a personal journey. Perhaps maybe through by my adventure-journey others will feel able to go for it and chase their dreams. I like to tell myself, what one man-woman can do another can do. It is all in your mind. It doesn't matter if that is true or not, it is how you-me use these kinds of things to succeed. And hey last thing, success for me is not success for somebody else. It is about perspective and the personal journey. My success or failure is my own. I am getting a bit philosophical now but to me what matters most in life is to be happy, chase the dreams and live life to the fullest. We only live once depending on your belief so take risks and do what you love to do. More than anything at the end of my life I plan to look back and say, I am happy with what I did and achieved. I am content. Rather than the opposite.

Cheers and thanks for your comments.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
A bit more of a trip report!

I got the iOverlander app and am loving it, it rocks! Right now I am in Palenque, Mexico and am headed to Guatemala soon. I drove 14hrs yesterday and it was not a lot of fun! But hey there are days like that when you put it all on the line. I had a great day today, I was running out of peso's, tried to do a money exchange in Villahermosa and it was insane traffic and parking wise so I just pushed on down the road. Using my iPhone I tried to figure out if I could do an exchange here in Palenque but I couldn't get that figured out on the road. I have never been here so I had no idea if there were banks here and if I could do an exchange. So I said to myself, stay positive, push on, Palenque is a major tourist destination and you will be able to do it there. I got here with only about 1.5hrs before the banks closed and I ran around trying to find the right bank. I just parked my truck and hit the streets on foot with my limited Spanish and bounced all over town, even half running because I knew I was running out of time! Went to one bank, stood in line 45mins and they couldn't do it. Then "karma" kicked in and a nice man told me where to go, this was after asking a half dozen people. I mean I really needed to do this, down to my last 500 pesos and half tank of fuel. I got to the right bank with less than 5 minutes to spare, got in there, got in line and got it done! After that I went and fed myself with a great meal, drank a few beers and am now recharging my batteries for the days to come. No reason to stress to much, go with the flow and it all works out in the end! Happy guy tonight! :) I was planning to do a couple things in Guatemala but after some research this evening found I can't do it so need to form a new plan. The journey I am on requires I am fluid like water. I must go with the flow. The great thing about traveling overland style is you can do that day to day. So in the next 12hrs I will form a new plan and push on, south! I am picking a good friend of mine up in El Salvador on April 2nd and we will make our way south over the next week after that. I am going to home base it in Panama for awhile, no idea how long at this time. I would love to take the next six months to make my way to Panama but that is not how things are playing out and I am just going with the flow. I am ok with that and that is what I mean by go with the flow.

Stayed tuned if you are following along, there is much more on the horizon! Apologies for being vague but that is where I am at right now in this moment in time.

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh and to any of you Land Cruiser fans following along, I saw two 200-series Cruisers yesterday on the road. One was maroon in color and the other black. I am 99% sure the 200 was-is not sold down here. Both of them had Mexican plates so must have been imported. The black one passed me last night, I was doing 75 or so mph and he must have been doing 90+mph!!!

Cheers

RND1

Observer
At my age I am no super star, no master of anything, I am just a guy who is willing to toss it all into the wind and go for it. Come hell or high water I will fail or succeed and either way it is a lesson, a learning experience. If I end up broke in Brazil or something, hey at least I gave it my all and tried with everything I have. I am not looking to inspire anybody, I am on a personal journey. Perhaps maybe through by my adventure-journey others will feel able to go for it and chase their dreams. I like to tell myself, what one man-woman can do another can do. It is all in your mind. It doesn't matter if that is true or not, it is how you-me use these kinds of things to succeed. And hey last thing, success for me is not success for somebody else. It is about perspective and the personal journey. My success or failure is my own. I am getting a bit philosophical now but to me what matters most in life is to be happy, chase the dreams and live life to the fullest. We only live once depending on your belief so take risks and do what you love to do. More than anything at the end of my life I plan to look back and say, I am happy with what I did and achieved. I am content. Rather than the opposite.

Thanks again for sharing! We certainly share a similar philosophy and come from the same generation (I'm 46). I'll keep checking in here on your progress and just know that many of us who are living behind our keyboards are rooting for you to succeed with your new Overland Adventure Business!

Back to Land Cruiser talk, I'm a big fan of the 100 series LC and it's my first one. I came close to buying an 80 series several times, but they were just too rusty in my neck of the woods. I'm not a fan of the looks of the 200 series - it looks an awful lot like a bloated Highlander, but it does look good when modified and I do suspect it's a better LC than the 100 series? My son will be driving in 2 years so I will either be hunting for another 100 series or possibly 200 depending on prices 2 years from now.

ylopez

Oh and to any of you Land Cruiser fans following along, I saw two 200-series Cruisers yesterday on the road. One was maroon in color and the other black. I am 99% sure the 200 was-is not sold down here. Both of them had Mexican plates so must have been imported. The black one passed me last night, I was doing 75 or so mph and he must have been doing 90+mph!!!

Cheers

Hi friend, good to read the adventures on the road, good to read you been happy... folowing the LC talk, the 200 series were sold down here, it´s not so common ($$$$$$) but still i have seen a couple here in my city,
So you´re close right now, what are your´s plans to Nicaragua, do you need something to do in advice? Hope to see you and grab a couple of beers, i have a lot of friends who are TLCs owners and off road /adventures enthusiast, from original 40 series, modified 40 series, 60s, 70s, 80s, 100s, so you can enjoy and i´m pretty sure they will enjoy having a converstation about anything of the TLCs with you. If not is possible to you to drive around Esteli, so go surf from jiquilillo to SjdS beaches!! Welcome

Last edited:

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Hey no worries! Thanks for the positive feedback! Life is a journey right? We all do it our own way but it is still a journey. ;)

I find when I am down (unmotivated or whatever) that I just think about what I have done before. I started my landscape business when I was 26yrs old. It was very successful. I learned a lot on that journey, more than I can describe here. I take what I learned and know and apply it to something new. For me the key(s) are to stay positive, focused and motivated. I don't have a family, mortgage and all the things most people my age have. So if and when I feel down I tell myself, hey man you are ahead of the game, do it! It can be incredibly hard but through self reflection as well as respect for others I can achieve my goals.

Awesome perspective! Continued safe travels!!

www.overlandgearexchange.com

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hi friend, good to read the adventures on the road, good to read you been happy... folowing the LC talk, the 200 series were sold down here, it´s not so common ($$$$$$) but still i have seen a couple here in my city,
So you´re close right now, what are your´s plans to Nicaragua, do you need something to do in advice? Hope to see you and grab a couple of beers, i have a lot of friends who are TLCs owners and off road /adventures enthusiast, from original 40 series, modified 40 series, 60s, 70s, 80s, 100s, so you can enjoy and i´m pretty sure they will enjoy having a converstation about anything of the TLCs with you. If not is possible to you to drive around Esteli, so go surf from jiquilillo to SjdS beaches!! Welcome

Hey Yolan! I sent you a message on facebook. Lets get together!

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles