Papple's Vario Build

papple

Slow progress

Progress is steady with the van but soon to come to a halt due to the challenge of getting a firm to step up and price / do some work for me. I've taken the van to 5 companies now to arrange for a full re-paint (in black cherry red) and the construction of a motorbike carrier platform on the back. Each one said the same "Great - we can do that. Give me a couple of days and I'll call you with some prices". Then..... nothing. I've chased and chased but still nothing. Its either my aftershave or the fact that they are just too busy to think of a one-off job. I just wish they'd say that at the time

Anyway I've completed the strip out, settled on the layout (more or less) and cracked on with insulation. I've gone with 50mm Celotex with extra polystyrene to fill any gaps behind.

IMG_0424a.jpg

papple

I've now got the motorcycle carrier installed

IMG_0453s.jpg

She's having windows installed next week and then booked in for a full-paint after Christmas

part time nomad

Adventurer
Oh! is it a long wheel base van?

it looked long, out of interest whats the distance from the centre of the wheel to the back of the bike carrier?

papple

The interior fit out is progressing slowly but we have the camper back from the paint shop after a colour change.
Really pleased with it

IMG_0472.jpg

part time nomad

Adventurer
Yes, it doesn't look nearly as long in that shot!

It looks a nice paint job, I like the idea of the black panel on the side, it kind of hides the window.

I am still trying to decide on my graphics.

papple

The build continues slowly

Got round to trying the scooter for size yesterday. SIZE being the operative word!

Despite it going on ok with the winch and ramp I'm just not happy that its all a bit tight and a faff to get on and off.

So I think I'll ditch this and get a smaller lighter motorcycle. I was keen on this one because it offers two-up comfort for my current wife and we can put the helmets and shopping away but I'm having second thoughts.

Such is the joy of designing as you go.

View attachment 397447

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles