Papple's Vario Build

papple

Hi Folks

After a long time looking and dreaming I've gone a bought us a Mercedes Vario today.

She's a former Metropolitan Police van - the kind where 20 rozzers jump out and smash your front door in at 5.00am. 21,000km on the clock

We plan to turn her into a luxury home from home and travel more and more over the coming years.

The build wont be quick but we are going for a high quality, fully loaded fitout. The plan is to post our progress here and no doubt ask loads of questions

Attachments

• mediaQ8LEIZIN.jpg
    mediaQ8LEIZIN.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 54

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Nice van!

When I was at Brownchurch getting a roof rack fitted to my truck, they told me that up until I arrived, the largest vehicle they'd worked on was a Vario like yours, getting fitted for a roof platform so that the police could enter properties by force through the first floor.

Nice vario papple. I thought my vario was big but that will make a very spacious apartment indeed! A great find with that mileage. Looking forward to following the build! :smiley_drive:

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing you progress with this. I often have thought if I wanted to go big, and had the space, a Vario would make a great stealth camping vehicle. Paint it brown and in the countryside it blends and in the city just looks like another ups van ;)

What are the internal dimensions?

Squiddlydiddly

Nice find. I saw that come up as for sale on a facebook group the other week and thought it would be snapped up.

Interesting step down at the back - that's a bit unusual is it not?

For a slow build you are cracking on with it - at this rate it will be done by Xmas ;)

papple

I was a bit concerned about the drop step at the back - it was to allow all the cops to jump out quickly

I want to put a motorcycle platform on the back so was worried it might be too low but having measured it all up I think it will work nicely

Squiddlydiddly

I was a bit concerned about the drop step at the back - it was to allow all the cops to jump out quickly

I want to put a motorcycle platform on the back so was worried it might be too low but having measured it all up I think it will work nicely

Ha! Just saw this and thought of your project. If you kick up the overhang it will help with clearance and you will have a covered area for the bike and a patio at other times! How cool is that!

14440682_951120414998764_2091983796635599828_n.jpg

The facebook group it came up on is also worth having a look at as it has the biggest image reference of camper conversions I know of.

https://www.facebook.com/709339102510231/photos/a.719921484785326.1073741838.709339102510231/951120414998764/?type=3&theater

papple

We've decided to go with a metallic black cherry red and put some satin black graphics on it.
She's booked in for paintwork on 5th January so in the meantime I can get on with flooring, insulation and bed-builds.

Internally its 4.9m long and 1.9m wide. That seems big but we are squeezing in 3 fixed single beds, separate toilet and shower and fixed dining table and chairs. It took ages to finalise the layout but I think it will work nicely.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey Papple,

Who's doing the paint for you? May I ask how much? PM me if you'd rather not say on here. Do they do steel work?

Thanks,

Anthony

surfer4life

Observer
WOW! That's insanely clean, instead of messing with the drop floor by raising it, why not have your water tanks there, get them specially made to fit, then raise the floor around it to make same height as the rest? You could even possibly get some other stuff like batteries, propex/eberspacher etc.. in there as well.

papple

Hey Papple,

Who's doing the paint for you? May I ask how much? PM me if you'd rather not say on here. Do they do steel work?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony

I have a few feelers out at the moment but waiting for firm costs / proposals

My current favourites are Whittakers Horsebox Coachbuilders in Gamston, Notts and Commercial Vehicle Refinishers in Hucknall, Notts.

I think the paintwork will be £2600 - no idea about the motorcycle platform yet.

papple

WOW! That's insanely clean, instead of messing with the drop floor by raising it, why not have your water tanks there, get them specially made to fit, then raise the floor around it to make same height as the rest? You could even possibly get some other stuff like batteries, propex/eberspacher etc.. in there as well.

I've played around with lots of layouts, even using the dropped area for a bathroom but to maximise storage space I'm putting a bed across the back with a false wall. The an doors have been extended downwards and although the work is first class they don't seal perfectly at the bottom so I decided its best to isolate the back end as a storage area.

But like you say, its a good place for the tanks though I've found space underneath within the wheelbase for those - certainly the rear space will house the gas bottle etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles