96 Tacoma Overlanding DIY budget build

Tacoverlander

Observer
Im finally getting around to starting my build thread. This build has been a blast as well as challenging. This is NOT a 40k dollar rig decked out with top of the line equipment. Mainly because I don't have that kind of finances for this hobby...lol but it is in fact a fully capable overlanding rig that has/will create(d) many long lasting memories with my wife and kids. Isn't that whats its all about anyway? I will continue posting throughout the next week or so to bring you guys to the current state in which it sits now since this is long overdue.

All of this has been over the course of about a year and a half.

Enjoy

Before:
Truck Before Picture.jpg

Currently: (3/16/17)
OTP_0521.jpg

96 Tacoma 2.7 Extended Cab
5 Speed Manual Transmission

Exterior:
Custom front bumper with Harbor Freight winch
51w 7" round LED Spot Lights (NiLight)
Custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and jerry can holder
Custom bed rack
Customer roof rack with 32" light bar and 4" pods
18w 4" cube aux lights
CVT MT Shasta
CVT 79" Awning

Wheels/Tires:
255/85/16 BFG KM2
16" Tundra Steelies

Engine:
2.7L Rebuilt at 217k
Toyota Mini Header upgrade
Stock Exhaust
Stock Transmission
4.88 Nitro gears from ECGS

Suspension:
Front - OME 2882 Nitro Charger Shocks
Rear - OME CS019R D6XL AAL Nitro Charger Shocks
Diff breather extension mod front and rear (to engine bay)

Coms:
Cobra 18 WX ST II
4' Firestick

Last edited:

BajaSurfRig

Sweet Rig and Welcome!

Tacoverlander this thing is a sweet rig! How many miles do you have on it now? Can you show some more details of your back bumper? Did you fab it yourself? Have you rebuilt anything else besides the motor? :Wow1:

Tacoverlander

Observer
Tacoverlander this thing is a sweet rig! How many miles do you have on it now? Can you show some more details of your back bumper? Did you fab it yourself? Have you rebuilt anything else besides the motor? :Wow1:

BajaSurfRig,
Thanks! Right now it sits on about 240k. Its not my DD so I get to salvage the miles a good bit. As far as the rear bumper, I designed and built it myself. I will definitely go into a little more detail once I get to that part of the build. Im hoping to get a good bit done on this thread tonight. The motor is the only thing that I have rebuilt so far. I did replace the clutch when i put the motor back in. The frame is in great shape with no rust so I didnt have to address any of that. I will be regearing the truck in the near future to 4.88's. Hope this answers your question. If you have any more let me know.

Tacoverlander

Observer
Ok the build continues...

Motor.jpg
The motor out of my truck and before the rebuild.

IMG_1126.jpg
At this time I didnt really think that I would be going this far with this build so I dont have a ton of motor rebuild pictures...lol...I was just so ready to get that thing back together and running.

Next was the front winch bumper...I dont claim to be a welder. I have one and I like to build/fab things....so I built one.

got a crap load of card board and even more patience/time.

IMG_1128.jpg
First things first...the winch mounting plate. Some heavy duty C Channel that I picked up at my local scrap yard with a little fab.

IMG_1130.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1133.jpg
IMG_1134.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
Started welding the bumper

Once I got the major parts of the bumper designed I had a friend cut the pieces out. I used 3/16" plate.
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg

after welding up most of the seams...more card board for lower part.
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1149.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg

Just found this picture of my winch mounting plate. Maybe it'll give you an idea of how its mounted to the frame.
IMG_1123.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
more bumper...

This is a good shot from behind the bumper...
IMG_1153.jpg

Added the bullnose and ground down the welds.
IMG_1179.jpg

Final test fit before primer and bedliner
IMG_1188.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg

Primer
IMG_1196.jpg

bedliner
IMG_1198.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
First round of OME Suspension

880 coils with nitro charger shocks
IMG_1155.jpg

Bumper on and OME installed (sorry for the picture quality. Only one I could find)
IMG_1211.jpg

Just a few pictures of the first overlanding trip after the motor rebuild, bumper, and suspension.
Carolina Beach, NC and Cape Lookout, NC
IMG_2175.jpg
GOPR0995.jpg
GOPR0997.jpg
GOPR1039.jpg
GOPR1038.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
Black Tundra Steelies and Bed Rack Build

Just got my Tundra Steelies installed and getting ready to start working on the bed rack. CVT tent is ordered so we gotta get to work...

Plastic bed liner removed and taking measurements.
IMG_1697.jpg

angle iron for the bed rail cap
IMG_1701.jpg
IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_1709.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1707.jpg

Final test fit before primer and more bedliner
IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg

Primer
IMG_1721.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
CVT Tent installed

Got my tent in and installed...Out for a test run on the trail.
IMG_1778.jpg
DSC_0712.jpg
DSC_0711.jpg

Johnson City, TN
IMG_1815.jpg

Its getting late so I will pick this back up tomorrow.

Tacoverlander

Observer
Rear bumper/Swing out

this is the only picture I could find just after the awning was installed. Out with the team @ridgeviewoverland.
DSC_0691 (1).jpg

now for the rear bumper...

took the old one off to get some measurements
IMG_2095.jpg

had a good bit of plate left from building the front bumper
IMG_2096.jpg

Since I knew how the template process went I skipped the card board and went right to the metal which allowed the build to move a little quicker
IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Once I got to a point with everything tac welded together i started working on the fold down table and swing out tire carrier while I waited for the heavy duty hinge to come in for the swing out.
IMG_2113.jpg

The swing out was pretty straight forward. Just started with some square tubing and went from there. My main concern on this was making it sturdy enough not to sag.
IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
More rear bumper...

Now it was time to weld all the seams and grind away...
IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

All together and ready for the hinge once it arrives.
IMG_2171.jpg

I also forgot to mention a major part of this build (which I don't have pictures of) I used the original towing hitch as a mounting option to the frame. After looking at several different ways, I come up with a brilliant cheap way to do this. I flipped the hitch over and unbolted the end mounting brackets (parts that mount to the frame) I then drilled new holes to allow for remounting to the same bolt holes in the frame of the truck. This allowed me to move the hitch to inside the bumper as opposed to below the bumper giving me about 4 more inches of departure in the rear.
IMG_2172.jpg

The two pieces together before the hinge was installed...still pretty straight....no warping from welding
IMG_2173.jpg

Hinge finally arrived
IMG_2181.jpg

Hinge and spare tire plate installed
IMG_2187.jpg

Tacoverlander

Observer
even more rear bumper...

Test fit on the truck
IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

heres a look at the jerry can holder. I also welded a plate on the bottom with a hole cut out that fits the size of a propane tank for if I ever needed to carry one of those.
IMG_2225.jpg

here I welded two pieces of plate to a short piece of square tubing to mount my license plate. I end up moving the license plate to the jerry can holder to accommodate a trasharoo later in the build
IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

now comes the rewarding part
IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

got it installed and admiring the new look
IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members