2016 trucks: Ram 2500 or GMC 2500?

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I don't see how the GMC IFS and Duramax quality are cons. The Duramax has proven to be a very reliable engine. Since about 2006 there really haven't been any "issues" with the engines. My own '05 has 214,000 miles on it and has been the most reliable truck I've ever owned. As for the IFS, I don't see the issue unless you want to put a big lift on. If you plan on carrying a heavy hard side truck camper I don't think you want much lift. The center of gravity is already too high with those things.
As a guy who's 3500 dually is overloaded by his truck camper I have to recommend you get the 3500 instead of the 2500. You will likely overload the 3500 SRW once you load the camper, gear, and family. In the GMC's case the 3500 should have wider wheels and bigger tires in addition to the extra capacity in the rear springs.
You are faced with a hard choice. I think their both excellent choice. I drove a 2015 Chevy and Ram back to back (gas engines) last year and was really impressed. I would have given the nod to the RAM because the 6.4L Hemi felt a lot more quick and powerful than the GM 6.0. I probably take a new Cummins over a new Duramax based solely on getting the CP3 injection pump instead of the CP4. However, giving up the Allison transmission would be tough. I've owned 3 hard working trucks with Allisons and they've been flawless.

You don't see how gm ifs is a con?

On the road, sure it doesn't matter much. Off road, it's takes a beating. Alignment cams get out of whack, ball joints go to **** and they're not the easiest to get more travel out of. You can fix all of that with a decent suspension setup, but it's gonna cost you a lot more than it cost to get the same travel/strength of a solid axle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I agree with most of the posters above, but the overriding question still remains to be answered by the O.P.
"Are you expecting to go into Mexico"? The answer will change the scope of his search, one way or another.
I'm liking a 3500 vs. a 2500 in the fact that you can carry a heavier truck camper without beefing up the suspension, "as much".
Since the O.P. is looking to put a truck camper on the back, I will unashamedly recommend a new Lance 650, if he gets a DoKa short bed. This is a good size; 4 season, well insulated, fully functioned camper ideal for two consenting adults and a toddler.
It's the same wet weight as my ancient Lance 165-s: 1837 pounds.

What did i do to get even that fairly light weight, narrow, not-so-tall, loaded camper to agree with my suspension? Upgrade the suspension and tires.
I added 2 more upper secondaries from a RAM 3500DRW. I added one extra overload spring to the main pack. I added Stable Loads. I added Rancho 9K adjustable shocks. I rebuilt the anti sway bar bushings.

It kind of looks like a dogs dinner, but works very well to limit sway, increase the load capy, with the 3995 pound 33x375/65R16 super singles on 12" wide wheels. How wide are super singles? 16 inch wide. Here is a comparo with a stock LT265/R16, both mounted; the s.s. mostly worn out: the 265 with 10 miles on it.

Here's the day I got them: compared to a 285/75R16 mostly worn out AT tire, both unmounted.

Honestly, the 375x super single is the best TC tire I've ever had. Very long wearing. Quiet. Good traction when new. Great! when pressure lowered on sand. I've not seen another 10K pound TC shoot the dunes like I could with this tire, aired down. Now the kicker: they are not made any more. I would have bought a half dozen of them if I'd have known they were going to be discontinued.
O.K. off my soapbox. Return to your regularly scheduled program.
jefe

Last edited:

t92024

First of all, thank you for all the advice!

In response to some questions:

Frojoe:

So, what percentage of the time will you be running the camper on the back vs driving over rough terrain with clients and no camper?

I would say (sadly) the regular day to day use would be mostly unloaded. Most use will be with passengers, signs, materials, tools, etc. And it will be driven on pavement most of the time, with a few bumpy gravel roads, fire roads, desert runs, etc. We plan on using it's "full" capability on the family camping trips throughout the western US and Canada.

Mundo4x4Casa
jeff reynolds, aka jefe

So, the question is, are you planning on doing any Baja trips with whatever new truck you decide on?

Sadly, my Mexico days are pretty much over. I may "have to" keep my GMC K2500 for that...

Of course, you could consider buying a used 2001-2006 4WD RAM 3500, SRW, Cummins powered, 6 speed manual trans and have Mexican trips available to you; or any trips in this hemisphere.

My 1989 GMC K2500 is a PERFECT rig for south of the border. It has a 350 TBI with a TH400 and 12 bolt rear end. It has a HD package with a 8600 lb GVWR and a curb weight of around 5,000 pounds. At one time, it had a camper in it. The drivetrain is bulletproof and parts can be found almost anywhere. The 'problem' is that it's a regular cab, it gets 10 mpg on a good day, no OD, rides like tractor, etc...I really want to keep it, but we are running out of parking spots at my house!

Trophycummins

Nor do you want the ram factory air ride if you plan on going off road.

Can I ask what makes the air suspension bad for off road?

Rockhard426

but you can sure add some lockers thou....

I dunno...lockers with a 800-900 lb ft Cummins? I can just hear the axles snapping!

My GMC (with HD package) and Dodge 2500 (with airbags) have both handled campers extremely well. What I don't understand is how these trucks with 20-30 year old technology can have payload ratings of 3,500+ lbs, but a brand new, gnarly beast of a Ram, with three times the engine, and twice the chassis and heavier axles (1" larger ring gear than Dana 70 or old GM 14 bolt), has a payload of "only" 2250 lbs. The GMC 2500 is 2583. I have read that it has more to do with a GVWR "registration" issue. Both have arbitrary GVWR of 10,000. The air bag rear suspension in the Ram 2500 ups the rear GAWR by 500 lbs, and one of the Rams I have my eye on has a factory 5th wheel package with a tow rating of 17,100! Who has a 17,100 lb trailer with a pin or tongue weight under 1,000 lbs? The GMC 2500 has a 5th wheel rating of 13,900. The Ram 3500 CTD CC SB 4x4 has a GVWR of 11,700. GMC 3500 has a GVWR of 11,500.

To my understanding, the 10,000 lb GVWR has more to do with registration and highway taxes than capability. Search on Google "GVWR 10,000 registration"

I am always open for discussion, bench racing, and evidence to the contrary. However, I have no doubt that with an upgraded set of airbags, or auxiliary airbags to the coils, I will be as equipped as a 3500 for the weight, seeing as how the running gear is identical. I really don't feel like I "need" the 3500. Plus, I test drove it. It rattled my kidneys like my K2500 does. I figure a camper weighing 1800-2500 lbs, plus 1,000 lbs of people and gear will keep me in the "safe" range.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
"I figure a camper weighing 1800-2500 lbs, plus 1,000 lbs of people and gear will keep me in the "safe" range."

You will be in 3500 territory.^^^
The payload of my 4X4 14 Ram 2500 CTD is around 2230bs. I think the Ram manual says the 2500 truck is not to be used with a slide in camper. Ram 3500 with Aisin trans is what you should be looking at.
I agree the coils springs of the 2500 rides nice,you could put a few hundred pounds in the back of a 3500 to help smooth the ride out.
You could swap out the rear leaf springs for a set of Deaver springs for a nice ride,but you would loose some payload,you would probably need to add airbags if you carried a slide in camper.
Is there any liability for operating an overweight vehicle that is involved in an accident?

t92024

OK... but here's the thing...

A new Toyota Tacoma...with a 4 cylinder...has a payload rating of 1620 lbs.

My wife's 2011 Honda Pilot has a payload rating of 1600 lbs.

You all are telling me a 7,400 lb 3/4 ton diesel powered American truck that has a tow rating of 17,500 lbs...can't handle more than 650 extra lbs (3 full grown men, or 1 really fat one) than either of these vehicles?

Sorry this post got hijacked. I am still looking at GMC. I am probably leaning more towards Ram 2500...even though its payload is not rated for a camper.

Last edited:

harv3589

Adventurer
I just went to my first Ram from being a very loyal Chev/GMC owner. I bought a '16 Power Wagon and love it so far. Rides better than my work partners '16 Chev 2500 6.0L more power with the 6.4L Hemi and looking forward to testing the locking diffs this hunting season. I don't pull or tow real heavy loads so I didn't need a diesel and the locking diffs with the disconnect sway bar were a big attraction for me....

Last edited:

adventr

Adventurer
Didn't read past the first page, but here's my $0.02

I've driven/towed/hauled with top of the line trucks from each manufacturer (all 2015+ models). If I were buying a new truck tomorrow, it'd be the Ram 2500 with OEM air suspension.
I'm a big fan of that rear suspension setup. We have ours lifted 4" on 37s.
Solid axle is more durable, wheel wells are larger, air suspension is better, exhaust brake is stronger. I actually prefer the laramie interior to the LTZ or denali GM. As you mentioned, rear air vents are a big plus. Another small thing that I noticed, was when remote starting the ram on a 30 degree morning in Moab, I was treated to a hot seat and steering wheel once I got into the truck. Ram is smart enough to activate those features when the outside temp is low...

This is coming from a guy with a solid axle swapped duramax 2500hd.

jackattack

Observer
OK... but here's the thing...

A new Toyota Tacoma...with a 4 cylinder...has a payload rating of 1620 lbs.

My wife's 2011 Honda Pilot has a payload rating of 1600 lbs.

You all are telling me a 7,400 lb 3/4 ton diesel powered American truck that has a tow rating of 17,500 lbs...can't handle more than 650 extra lbs (3 full grown men, or 1 really fat one) than either of these vehicles?

Sorry this post got hijacked. I am still looking at GMC. I am probably leaning more towards Ram 2500...even though its payload is not rated for a camper.

I really think it comes down to OEM tire ratings. Pump the E rated Michelins up from 65 to 80 psi and my F250 is an F350... everything under the truck is the same.

Hummelator

Adventurer
Stay away from dodge.

I actually just bought a dodge diesel near the end of May. I ended up having an issue with it the day after picking it up. It spent 2 straight months at the dealership while they tried to figure out what was wrong with it. Fought with FCA Canada about replacing the truck or buying it back. They fought me tooth and nail and even refused to reimburse payments made while it was sitting in the shop. Right up until the day I traded the trade in they could not figure out what was wrong with it.
Ended up going to the owner of the dealership where I bought it and asked him to buy it back. He told me they would get me a new truck but they ended up fight with Chrysler about replacing the truck too. Eventually the dealership and Chrysler came to an agreement and got me into a new truck.

Because of that experience alone, I will never buy another Chrysler product again.
And I'm already having problems with the new truck they got me.
I would jump on the Denali in a heart beat. Drove GMC's through work and didn't have many problems.
My next truck will be a GM unless Toyota comes out with a heavy duty.

I current have a 2016 ram 2500 with the Cummins. Payload for the 3/4 ton is actually rather diapointng. #shouldaboughtachev

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I actually just bought a dodge diesel near the end of May. I ended up having an issue with it the day after picking it up. It spent 2 straight months at the dealership while they tried to figure out what was wrong with it. Fought with FCA Canada about replacing the truck or buying it back. They fought me tooth and nail and even refused to reimburse payments made while it was sitting in the shop. Right up until the day I traded the trade in they could not figure out what was wrong with it.
Ended up going to the owner of the dealership where I bought it and asked him to buy it back. He told me they would get me a new truck but they ended up fight with Chrysler about replacing the truck too. Eventually the dealership and Chrysler came to an agreement and got me into a new truck.

Because of that experience alone, I will never buy another Chrysler product again.
And I'm already having problems with the new truck they got me.
I would jump on the Denali in a heart beat. Drove GMC's through work and didn't have many problems.
My next truck will be a GM unless Toyota comes out with a heavy duty.

I current have a 2016 ram 2500 with the Cummins. Payload for the 3/4 ton is actually rather diapointng. #shouldaboughtachev
Curious what problems you had? I've had a few wonder if they are the same?

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Ram. We had 2 Ram 3500s, 2 F350s, and 2 Denali 3500s for work. The GMCs were ALWAYS in the shop. From about 10k miles forward, nothing but issues. One left a Co worker stranded after a motor swap at 25k miles. Every one of the trucks are 2014 or newer trucks that pull 15k+ lbs on a regular basis. The Rams all hit 100k miles recently and have had zero issues. The F350s have dropped injectors and one dropped a turbo. The new Ram trucks with Radius arms really put them up there ride- wise. Oh and the company owner just traded in all of the GMCs for new Rams.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
I have a 2012 that I've put some rough dirt miles on... my only issue is related to my deleting and tuner. I'm getting a false CEL because of my tuner, very common problem with this tuner.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Ram. We had 2 Ram 3500s, 2 F350s, and 2 Denali 3500s for work. The GMCs were ALWAYS in the shop. From about 10k miles forward, nothing but issues. One left a Co worker stranded after a motor swap at 25k miles. Every one of the trucks are 2014 or newer trucks that pull 15k+ lbs on a regular basis. The Rams all hit 100k miles recently and have had zero issues. The F350s have dropped injectors and one dropped a turbo. The new Ram trucks with Radius arms really put them up there ride- wise. Oh and the company owner just traded in all of the GMCs for new Rams.
Denalis for work trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior