Overland Explorer Composite Off Road Trailer

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Thanks Clutch, from your Avatar it looks like we share an interest. I ride a KTM 300XC, hit as many hare scrambles and cross countries as I can. Super tight, steep, technical single track on the Eastern Slopes, beat the crap out of me this year, must be getting old!

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks Clutch, from your Avatar it looks like we share an interest. I ride a KTM 300XC, hit as many hare scrambles and cross countries as I can. Super tight, steep, technical single track on the Eastern Slopes, beat the crap out of me this year, must be getting old!

You're welcome!

That is awesome, I have a Gas Gas 300....my back is kinda shot, can't really race anymore, now-a-days just do trail cruising. Thinking of scaling it back a little more and getting a Beta X-Trainer.

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Starting the kitchen area on the camper....This will house the Dometic Marine Fridge

The frame for our aluminum tub trailer can also be seen and will be posted in another build thread.

20160922_102804_resized-M.jpg

Jeep

Starting price will be finalized pretty quick, it will definitely be figured out for Pomona. The goal is to be very competitive pricewise and it is shaping up that way, a lot of design time with efforts made to maximize cnc technology reduce labor costs substantially so there is a nice offset in a smaller product.

Thanks,
Mark.

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Another pic of the kitchen area progress. All of the powder coated aluminum cabinetry is 'fastened' to the composite cabin with adhesives; no screws or other mechanical fasteners are used. We're making progress on the aluminum tub trailer as well.

20160922_165155_resized-M.jpg

Jeep

As promised Base price is $20 500.00

Last edited:

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Looks awesome! I hope to see it and your at the Expo next weekend.

There will be a bed/sleeping area inside, right? What size mattress will fit in there (in the Jeep version)?

Why don't trailer mfrs build up and over the wheels to gain usable width?

Jeep

Looks awesome! I hope to see it and your at the Expo next weekend.

There will be a bed/sleeping area inside, right? What size mattress will fit in there (in the Jeep version)?

Why don't trailer mfrs build up and over the wheels to gain usable width?

Thanks guys. We chose the 60" width based on discussions we had with potential buyers and other builders. We will have a skinnier version available too, but a lot of people really like the idea of a queen bed, myself included. The design is typical that the perimeter frame protects the body, full width body doesn't offer that protection.

Now....on that note, Off Grid Trailers is almost done a 5' tall version that is turning out really nice, you can see it on their Facebook page. And the question has popped up more than once for a full width body, so that leaves me wondering if we shouldn't do a design and build a "base camp" trailer. I'm not talking 30' rv style junk, but something long, tall, and wide enough to be comfy but short, narrow, and low enough to get a little ways off the beaten path and be easily pulled by 1/2 ton and under vehicles, Wrangler, Tacoma, etc. Any interest?

Capercrew02

Observer
I Have huge personal interest in that base camp build, especially as my family grows. A 5' tall is not much taller than a standard 44" tall teardrop with rtt on top. So clearance is very similar, but the options of additional inside cabinetry around the perimeter ect would be welcome! Just long enough for a queen, bunk, and toilet would be fantasticaly popular I believe. I think a rugedized version of say some TAB models would sell great in the overland us market.

SamM

Adventurer
The 'Base Camp' trailer idea is great but you can only pull 2000# and 3500# with the 2-door and 4-door Wranglers. Can an aluminum trailer with a steel frame of that size be made and equipped to be that light? I'm having a hard time making my Schutt 96"x51" aluminum framed trailer light enough to keep it under 2000#.

If anyone can do it you guys can! Watching with great interest.

SamM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne