Overland Explorer Composite Off Road Trailer

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Overland Explorer Expedition Vehicles(OEV) will be releasing two off road trailers in the next 2 weeks with the anticipation of being in full production and inventory for sale by the end of the year. We had a ton of people at Expo West asking if we would consider building a trailer with the same construction methods as our campers; enough inquiries that we decided to move forward.

A build thread of our first Composite Flatbed Truck Camper that was debuted at Overland Expo West 2016 can be seen here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143766-Flatbed-and-composite-panel-build-on-Dodge-2500

The For Sale Ad of the truck camper can be seen here:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/162179-Overland-Explorer-Composite-Flatbed-Truck-Camper-For-Sale***SOLD***

Video of Explorer TDK at Off Road Expo in Pomona,CA; Oct 1-2 (courtesy of Mixflip's YouTube Channel) :http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_147622052269412&key=ec71621b94a3328a8a574c90106be074&libId=iu5zksgs010004rm000DAqoo7w22t&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expeditionportal.com%2Fforum%2Fthreads%2F163240-Overland-Explorer-Composite-Off-Road-Trailer%2Fpage10&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dd8Hi-xaVlcw&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expeditionportal.com%2Fforum%2Fforums%2F42-Expedition-Trailers&title=Overland%20Explorer%20Composite%20Off%20Road%20Trailer%20-%20Page%2010%20-%20Expedition%20Portal&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dd8Hi-xaVlcw

Depicted are the first renderings of the composite expedition trailer:

Trailer%20v1.1-S.jpg

trailer%20v1.2-S.jpg

trailer%20v1.3-S.jpg

trailer%20v1.4-S.jpg

trailer%20v1.5-S.jpg

Our first vision of the trailer incorporated a powder coated aluminum storage box and tray forward of the cabin. After a review of the completed SOLIDWORKS models, the design team decided to take a different direction and eliminate the aluminum storage area and incorporate it into the body of the composite cabin.....

Last edited:

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
These renderings depict the design elements that will be incorporated into the composite trailer that is under construction now. The cabin will feature OEV's signature powder coated aluminum roof rack.

3834-A000%20View%204%20%281%29-M.jpg

3834-A000%20View%205%20%281%29-M.jpg

3834-A000%20View%203%20%281%29-M.jpg

3834-A000%20View%202%20%281%29-M.jpg

3834-A000%20View%201%20%281%29-M.jpg

3834-A000%20View%206%20%281%29-M.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Here are a few pics of the composite cabin under construction. The panels are 1.625" thick, 40mm XPS core, with 1.5 mm Crane and Lamilux skins, and powder coated 6061 corner caps. The 4 doors are being custom built off site and will feature the same robust construction and design elements as the cabin. The cabin dimensions are: 130" x 60" x 48". A 60" high cabin will be offered as well. There is absolutely no wood used....anywhere.

Composite%20cabin%201-M.jpg

composite%20cabin%202-M.jpg

composite%20cabin%204-M.jpg

Hmmm, something is hiding to the left of the trailer ?? (hint: click on our FB page!)

composite%20cabin%203-M.jpg

Rear kitchen includes a Dometic CRD 1050 drawer style marine fridge, Partner Steel 2 burner stove,and a Dometic SMEV sink and faucet assembly. The kitchen will be completely separated from the living area by a composite bulkhead. As spec'd out now, we have this unit coming in around 1200 pounds and are super excited to introduce expedition truck quality manufacturing into the off road trailer market segment. We will publish an extensive option list soon that will accommodate any customer's needs or desires.

Last edited:

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Precision frame fabrication for the composite trailer. The frame is completely engineered and designed for strength plus accuracy during assembly. If it's out, it's not enough that can be detected with a tape measure! Using a Trumph CNC tube laser, we index, notch, and key every single piece, all wiring holes, and internal structural features. Top notch design combined with a top notch team on the floor makes a top notch product!

Timbren suspension, Pro Comp wheels, and General Grabber AT2 35 x 12.50 / 17 radials are standard equipment. Most bolt patterns can be accommodated for compatibility with your tow vehicle.

trailer%20frame%201-M.jpg

trailer%20frame%202-M.jpg

trailer%20frame%204-M.jpg

trailer%20frame%203-M.jpg

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
OEV will be joining Rebel Off Road http://about.rebeloffroad.com/, one of southern California's premier Jeep, 4x4 conversion, and fabrication facilities at the Pomona Off Road Expo October 1-2. We will be exhibiting our composite expedition trailer and our all-aluminum tub trailer (additional thread to be posted soon) at the Expo.

Come by and check us out if you are in the area !

LUCAS OIL OFF-ROAD EXPO POWERED BY GENERAL TIRE
October 1 & 2, 2016 | Pomona, CA

http://www.offroadexpo.com/pomona-ca

69,000+ HARDCORE FANS | 325+ EXHIBITORS | 10 ACRES OF EVERYTHING OFF-ROAD
The 2016 Lucas Oil Off-Road Expo Powered by General Tire is truly the greatest collection of off-road companies, parts, equipment, gear, action and experts ever assembled in America. From off-road racing to rock crawling, trail riding to sand sports, motorcycles and ATV’s, to camping and adventure travel, fans have the unique opportunity to meet and talk with the most knowledgeable people in the off-road industry. Fans can experience the dynamic world of off-road thru ride alongs, racing demos, celebrity appearances, live music, industry media events and product giveaways all weekend.

WHEN
Saturday, October 1, 2016 | 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sunday, October 2, 2016 | 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

WHERE
Fairplex 1101 W McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA 91768 - www.fairplex.com

SamM

Adventurer
Do you plan to make a trailer that is compatible with a Jeep JK? The 60" between the wheelwells makes the track wider than the Jeep's. Not the best configuration for off-road use. It's a little long too. Just asking.

SamM

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Hi Sam, this is the widest version, there will be a JK compatible track, and quite possible one more width for the earlier Wrangler size. We are also really looking at doing a 5' tall interior height option. One of our partners Off Grid Trailers is almost done building a 5' tall version with some really innovative ideas that is really appealing.
Thanks,
Mark.

SamM

Adventurer
That's awesome! These will be the best trailers on the market for sure. I'm glad you are looking at the Jeep market too.

Your truck campers are over the top. I'm trying to talk my wife into selling the house and everything, so that we can buy one. Last week, the local Dodge dealer was showing me 5500 cab & chassis trucks. I recently retired and I'm ready to be on the road full time. I'm tired of taxes, utility bills, housework, more taxes, trespassers and people trying to poach my deer. Being on the road sounds much more appealing to me. I've been stuck in a lab for 32 years. Wintering down south is also something that's on my list. We'll see how it goes but she's dug in her heels for now.

Thanks for the info on the trailer, Mark! My Schutt just may go down the road!

SamM

PCO6

Adventurer
I was very impressed with your truck camper build and I'm sure I will be with this one too. Fantastic work!

b63215b

Adventurer
How did you notch the steel to fit the center hitch adapter beam?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jeep

Thanks for the comments guys!

Every tube is laser cut so the fit is incredibly accurate and complex joints are easy, it reduces build time and a technology that lets us produce a high quality product much quicker. If you look close at the pic of the rear of the frame below (look through the inner tail light hole) you will see a hole and a couple slots with tabs, the holes are cnc cut for wiring access and a grommet will protect the harness inside the tube, the slot/tabs are the components that align and lock the tubes together, eliminates "forgotten holes", tape measures, "I thought", "I forgot", drills, bits, misalignment, etc. It's a very high initial QC step that pays off in the end. The body was assembled in a different building and dropped onto the chassis perfectly square, with perfect tolerances.

Here the frame is fresh out of the powder coating oven, carbon black over a high zinc primer ensures a long lasting finish, 3500 pound Timbren axle less suspension with electric brakes (all of our trailers will come standard with brakes), a little overkill but in the right place, 35x12.50-17's, and the body gets bonded down. 24" ground clearance, 76" overall height.

20160917_110230_resized.jpg

20160917_123900_resized.jpg

20160917_133512_resized.jpg

20160917_142736_resized.jpg

20160917_142750_resized.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
How do those Timbrens handle below freezing temperatures? Are they ok, or do they turn into bricks?

Jeep

They naturally stiffen up a bit but the durometer of the rubber and the hollow design keeps them pretty pliable considering. At room temp I can flex the suspension on a bare frame an inch or so with my own body weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke