The ManVan. 06 E350 Chateau V10

rex_1_mn

Observer
Does anyone have a lead on rear calipers for the sterling 10.5'' that last? I have been chewing through one about every 5-10K miles. Its a joke and an obvious bad design. They stick just a little and heat up. I am sick of bleeding brakes.

another_mike

Adventurer
Does anyone have a lead on rear calipers for the sterling 10.5'' that last? I have been chewing through one about every 5-10K miles. Its a joke and an obvious bad design. They stick just a little and heat up. I am sick of bleeding brakes.
what silicone are you using for the sliding pins? Everything ive read indicates theyre finicky... I only use the https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-Silicone-Dielectric-Compound/dp/B000NU7OZG/ and always make sure the boots are in good shape when I do a rotation.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I have been using whatever the calipers/pads come with. It’s a thick silicone brake lube of some sort. This problem is rampant on early 2000’s heavy fords. I have read quite a few pages on forums without finding a general consensus on a good fix. Some talk about brake line obstructions, the right lube, re-lubing all the time, throw more parts at it, nature of the beast, phenolic pistons. I have never had trouble like this. Just have to take it apart again and try to do a thorough inspection.

Last edited:

another_mike

Adventurer
I have been using whatever the calipers/pads come with. It’s a thick silicone brake lube of some sort. This problem is rampant on early 2000’s heavy fords. I have read quite a few pages on forums of this without finding a general consensus on a good fix. Some talk about brake line obstructions, the right lube, re-lubing all the time, throw more parts at it, nature of the beast, phenolic pistons. I have never had trouble like this. Just have to take it apart again and try to do a thorough inspection.
Well, when you pull those pins take note of the condition of the lube thats in there. If its deteriorated, try using something different.

Ive only ever used ford/motorcraft pads and dont recall lube coming with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne