The ManVan. 06 E350 Chateau V10

rex_1_mn

Observer

I have the gas tank out. Cleaning it up/out for cutting. Front suspension is completely out. As with any vehicle project I had to fight a few things from rusty bolts to poor engineering but making headway. Almost all parts from Ujoint are here. Springs should be here around Christmas.

devo 1

Adventurer
Nice, the same way I did mine (jack stands)
After using the transfer punch, I used #14 self drilling screws for pilot holes.
IMG_20150210_071726252_zps6uysntas.jpg

What year of axle did you find?

rex_1_mn

Observer
Great progress! Just curious but what gearing did you end up going with?

I specifically found both axles with 4.30's for now. I will run this for a bit and see how I like it. When I add traction aids I will decide if I want to jump to 4.56's.

I should mention I have a 5 star tuner as well.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Getting a lot closer to being ready for springs!

Front spring hangers are in. I was able to do this with a standard set of drill bits. I am sure it would have been easier with some long bits but I was able to get it done. I did also use transfer punches and a unibit for a couple of them.

Rear shackle sleeve installed. I cut 3 of the holes with a torch and 1 with a hole saw because these are the tools I have. I also had to relearn to weld as it has been 10 years since I have. I would have liked to have skipped posting this picture with my ugly welds but I thought it will serve as encouragement that you don't need to be a master fabricator to get this job done. I would definitely recommend a plasma or hole saw to cut all of these holes. To use the hole saw on all of the holes would require a 90 drill. The holes left from my torch were pretty jagged so it made getting a clean weld a lot harder.

The pitman arm put up a valiant fight. There was no amount of penetrating lube and torque that were getting it off. I gave up and made a cut with a .040 cutting disk as deep as I dared without hitting the splines. I then drove a chisel into the cut until it cracked. Even then it took quite a little torque to get it off. On a side not my puller wouldn't fit on the steering box unless I removed 2 bolts, loosened the third, and clocked or rotated the steering box a little bit.

Cross member trimming went pretty well. I watched the ujoint install video and eyeballed it a little. Keeping the brake line out of the was the hardest part. I also removed the stock I beam mounts on both sides. I did most of this with a grinder and a little with the torch.

Enough typing.... Back to work!

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Getting a lot closer to being ready for springs!

Rear shackle sleeve installed. I cut 3 of the holes with a torch and 1 with a hole saw because these are the tools I have. I also had to relearn to weld as it has been 10 years since I have. I would have liked to have skipped posting this picture with my ugly welds but I thought it will serve as encouragement that you don't need to be a master fabricator to get this job done. I would definitely recommend a plasma or hole saw to cut all of these holes. To use the hole saw on all of the holes would require a 90 drill. The holes left from my torch were pretty jagged so it made getting a clean weld a lot harder.

Enough typing.... Back to work!

Don't feel too bad about those welds. I've seen a lot worse by people who do this kind of crap for a living and should be a whole lot better at it. Shoot, if you look on that frame hard enough you'll probably see worse from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles