The ManVan. 06 E350 Chateau V10

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Agreed, looks like good penetration to me. 👍🏼 That pic is nearly mandatory of ujoint DIY'ers, it's a badge of honor, as if that pic wasn't taken and posted none of it happened. ;)
Can't wait to see the completed pics of this van.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Re-learning to weld with a new welder, flux core wire, in an aqward position, with limited accessibility might be a bit much but we got'er done.

It amazing how these pictures make my van look dirty and rusty.

Cleaned up some small surface rust patches on the frame today and gave it a shot of flat black. Also getting the front axle sealed up and ready for oil. I will be drilling a drain plug inthe front diff before install. I'll snap a few pics.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Dropped some parts to get powder coated today. Also got gas tank welded up.

Work friend used the ancient art of gas welding. He tack'd it with a mig, went over it with the torch and filler, then went over it one more time and flow'd it all again.

Need to clean it all up and slap some paint on the whole thing.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Got some paint on odds and ends today. Also put a drain plug in the front axle. I put it a little off center so it's not the first thing to drag.

I sealed up the axle and the front is pretty much just waiting for springs.

On a side note can some genius identify this as a semi or full float 60 rear?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Good call on the drain plug! That's the one good thing about my JK, both axles had drain plugs on the bottom of the housing.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Made some more progress today. Got the tail housing and the new output shaft on the tranny, mounted the shift linkage, and painted a ton of odds and ends.

Both my TC and the new tailhousing had locating pins. I punched the one in the tail housing out. Need to grab some grade 8's to mount the transfer case. Hope springs get here this week so I can keep things moving.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It amazing how these pictures make my van look dirty and rusty.

Must be a difference of perspective... In the pics your Van appears to have almost no rust. We don't see them that clean up here. I can only wish mine had so little rust. My body has very little rust, but it'd need a frame swap to look that clean.

It's kinda surprising to see gas welding... I thought I was the only one left who still owned one. That and a stick welder :D

rex_1_mn

Observer
Did a little work on the van today. Have the front spring brackets back from powder coat..

Got the transfer case put it. Man that was an awkward struggle. After I got it I realized I need to put the gasket in so out it came to do it right the second time.

Unless I put something together wrong I think the linkage for the transfer case is going to need to be lengthened about 1/4". As it is it won't go into 2wd.

I also have some interference with the tranny lines I need to work out. I'm afraid if I leave it as is I will have some chaffing.

Pitman arm showed up. Front end is just waiting on springs and it should go together pretty quickly. Some of the smaller parts can be a real pain and cost a lot of $$ for what they are. I couldn't find the correct caliper bolts for a reasonable price. Ended up going to the dealer and paid 35$ for four bolts.

A lot left to do but excited to get this done and on the road.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Let me crawl under V7 (same engine/transmission) and see how the tranny lines look. We've never had an interference issue.... and that shifter link should be spot on, have the same jig to make them all!

Jsweezy

Explorer
That picture of the transfer case linkage looks like its in 2wd but its hard to tell with a photo. It doesn't have to move very far to go from one to the other.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Let me crawl under V7 (same engine/transmission) and see how the tranny lines look. We've never had an interference issue.... and that shifter link should be spot on, have the same jig to make them all!

That's what's worrying me and making me think I have something put together wrong but I don't see what it could be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles