The ManVan. 06 E350 Chateau V10

rex_1_mn

Observer
My van experience started about 10 years ago when my roommate at the time brought home a 79 ford e150. Without going into details we had a blast with it. Sometime shortly after he got his old 79 I got a mid 80's ford E150 that lasted me a glamorous 1000 miles before the 351 decided to pack it in. My next van was a 1990 G20 Chevy conversion that I have had for almost 10 years and have covered most of the upper Midwest in with many trips to northern MN and the boundary waters area. My old g20 has more rust than paint and about the only thing I haven't changed is the front brake rotors (happening this weekend though). A couple years ago I put a Detroit tru-trac in the rear. Couple that with a set of chains and we can dig our way through some serious snow. I also use the old chevy as a Ice fishing house in the winter with catch covers and a small tv. Anyway enough about the old junk.

I have always wanted a 4x4 van of course and finally have enough time and maybe even enough money to make it happen.. I started my Van search almost 2 years ago scouring the internet for the right one.. I would have loved the unicorn 2003 7.3 chateau with low miles but they are as rare as a full Budweiser in the shop. I ended up with an 06 chateau V10 with 69K miles. I flew to Ohio last spring and brought it home to south dakota. I love the van and we have had some good trips in it so far. We went to Wyoming, Utah , and Colorado this summer in it. I have added a few things. New stereo head, backup camera, 5-star tuner, and a basic sleeping platform behind the back seat. I always like seeing what everyone else is doing with their vans so I thought I would show mine off a little too.

The plan....

Not exactly sure yet but I have a dana 60 Front and a NV 271 being shipped to me as I type this.. Still searching for a rear Sterling 10.5. Once I get some decent axles that are ready to go I will call our man Chris at U-joint who has the best customer service I have ever seen and finally make an order. Anything could change at any time but right now I am just looking for a versatile do all manly van.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Anderson wrecking has a few. Prices of these must be going up, I got mine complete for 800. :Wow1:
http://www.andersenwrecking.com/

I am trying to find one with 4.30's for now. I may or may not go to 4.56's when I scratch the $ together for traction aids, lockers or LSD's or whatever. Gotta get axles under the ol girl first. I have found a few with 4.30s but nothing super close to me.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I am trying to find one with 4.30's for now. I may or may not go to 4.56's when I scratch the $ together for traction aids, lockers or LSD's or whatever. Gotta get axles under the ol girl first. I have found a few with 4.30s but nothing super close to me.

The van looks great! Not sure if it matters or not but there is a new 2015 Front axle assembly with 4.30s for 1430 here in Portland, OR LKQ. But I am pretty sure your looking for a rear not a front...

rex_1_mn

Observer
Holy Dana 60 mayhem batman!

Going through what I need to do to my new front axle in the garage. Pretty good shape with fairly low miles 66K.. Will need to cleanup the surface rust and have POR15 coming in the mail. Also ordered all new wagner brake components Rotors, calipers, and pads. I need to source a tie rod and am surprised with all of the options on rockauto.. Maybe I can just get the full tie rod from U-Joint?? The total number of parts in the dana 60 front is crazy. When you start looking at all the joints (ball and U), bearings, and seals it gets a bit overwhelming and expensive. The hunt continues..

The 271 I have looks to be in good shape. I am going to clean it up, put oil in it, and it will be good to go.

I may have had some luck on the sterling 10.5 rear with 4.30's.. Hoping to get a call today and make payment to get it on a truck to me.

Been looking into wheels and tires some. 4.5'' backspacing seems to be a good consensus?? Keep in mind I have a sliding door that I need to extend yet (thanks MG). Probably either all terrain T/A's or Wrangler Duratracs.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I like the Crager soft 8's but they have 5" backpacking in the 17" wheel. Tires and wheels are major $. Anyone see a problem with 17" wheels 8 on 170mm with 5" backpacking? I am going to be doing ujoints 6'' lift. I will be using either 35x12.5 R17 a/t ko 2's or 315 70 r17 duratracs.

I don't want to have a sliding door problem or not be able to turn without rubbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles