Best Satellite Photograph Resource

The Wizard

Observer
I have been using the "Satellite" option in Google Map to "photo recon" the area I plan to go to and explore. There must be a better option. I am not talking "spy" satellite quality (although that would be cool) but with Google map the resolution isn't that great. Sometimes what appears to be something interesting on Google map turns out to be just a pile of rocks. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
59 views and no one has any input! I guess everyone uses Google Map. The Internet is not what is cracked up to be!

Well, maybe we just would rather see what's there from a first hand perspective. You know...exploring?

OTOH I've found that Google Earth's imagery is more up to date and may be a higher res than Google Map.

The Wizard

Observer
Retired Tanker, I agree first hand perspective is why I go out BUT you should know that before you go into a new AO you do a map recon. Part of that process is to request from the S2 if there are any photos of the area. Before satellite images were available (Google map) I either missed a lot of interesting stuff or just bungled on it because it was not shown on a map. As I stated in my OP more than a few time I have waste time, gas and energy going to a place I thought would be of interest just to arrive a pile of rocks. Thanks for the Google Earth suggestion. I will try it. Not much of a Tech Head. Still rely on my paper map and compass more then my GPS. Must be a hold over from when I called for one round of smoke on a grid intersection so I could locate myself on the map. Any input about Zoom Earth?

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Retired Tanker, I agree first hand perspective is why I go out BUT you should know that before you go into a new AO you do a map recon.

I was only replying to your question as to why no one was replying to your question.

And, once I crossed the LD, the map (with requisite battle plan) went in the storage case and we moved to the sound of the guns.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I use Google Earth mostly for aerial imagery. There are other sources but the user interface in Google Earth is more geared for "armchair exploring" if you will.

It's usually the same imagery as Google maps, but they do have a history slider where you can load past image sets. This is sometimes interesting for figuring out the history of an area for the last 20 years or so.

I actually find a lot of cool places using it. You can overlay community content like photos and sometimes find little known places others have marked. I also use it a lot for determining the viability of a road, if it is likely to come out somewhere or not.

It is a full featured GIS program, you can load and create content with it like trails and waypoints. You may need to do some converting but that is typical in many programs.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I use google earth. Being able to see the 3D topography helps decypher some of those odd pile of rocks shapes. Seeing it at the bottom of a cliff you can figure it's just rock scree.

Plus I'm getting good at seeing old ruins in GE. I've found a few old mines and ghost towns following the faint lines of a 150 year old railroad grade to it's source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94