Why don't i see any Thule or Yakima boxes on Overland rigs?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have had 2 Yakima boxes and sold 2.. I find them very difficult to access... loading and unloading is not a fun experience.. my solution is get a bigger rig or carry less stuff..

Sometimes it's not about less stuff. It's about sticking stuff up there so it's easy to get at the stuff under the camper top. With my 6.5ft bed and camper top I can carry more stuff than almost anyone. However it's a PITA to get to. Adding the box allows me to either put seldom used or often used stuff up there so its either out of the way or easily at hand. Different strokes...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm still waiting to find one that is *small*.

I can only access such a box from the rear bumper (and a step I've built onto the rear door), so it can't be 5 feet long, else I can't reach the stuff at the front. Preferably, it'd be rear-opening.

Fine, several such boxes are made (Yakima Spacecase or Rocketbox, and similar), but in an effort to capture a similar volume of gear as the "coffin" style roof boxes, all such offerings are WAY taller than I need. The current Rocketbox is 16"+ the bars. The Thule equivalent is like 19" tall. Throw this on an already tall Van with a pop-top roof, lift, etc. and the overall height of my rig starts to become a real problem.

Explorerinil

Observer
@Explorerinil just saw that you have the Denver Outfitters fly rod box too. Love mine. So handy on family trips to slip the rod out for a couple of casts at a snack or lunch stop.
Did you see they make a regular rod vault now? It’s handy to have a fly rod ready to go, I hate the ideas of my $700 sage set up laying on the back seat.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Did you see they make a regular rod vault now? It’s handy to have a fly rod ready to go, I hate the ideas of my $700 sage set up laying on the back seat.

I saw that. I don't travel much with casting or spinning gear unless I'm bringing the boat and then I can just lock them there. I really think this combined with rod socks and reel covers is the way to go for regular rods.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Buyers-...mQxfa3AgefQUaz-Q2mmGPRECqcOJsqVkaAurREALw_wcB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles