Why don't i see any Thule or Yakima boxes on Overland rigs?

patsfan

Observer
So my patience has run out for finding one on Craigslist at a decent price. Does anyone have any suggestions for purchasing one new? I will be trying Sears soon any other suggestions?

odingrey

I picked up a Thule XL at REI on sale in the $400s.

REI is nice because of their no questions asked return policy within a year.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Rei sale plus member kick back money. Sears sells the **** stuff with the cheap mounting hardware. Get a good one you'll have it a loooong time. Mine has out lasted our ownership of 5 vehicles, but the box still kicks ***. Well worth the money.

The narrower box so you have half rack options is the only way to go! Tip, a little black electrical tape 2 wraps under the bar clamp will keep the box from migrating on slick bars.

Jelorian

Adventurer
The narrower box so you have half rack options is the only way to go! Tip, a little black electrical tape 2 wraps under the bar clamp will keep the box from migrating on slick bars.

Cool tip. I was going to try gluing a small section of old inner tube to my crossbars, but the tape trick might be easier.

I 2nd REI. Normally you'll be paying full price but if you can get it on sale or with a coupon then even better. They have their monthly garage sales as well and you might find a good deal there. You just gotta be there early enough to get the good stuff.

OCD Overland

Explorer
A half width box has worked very well for us, though it isn't as efficient when stuffing odd sized things inside.

IMG_0303_zpsba6l8lnc.jpg

dbreid

Adventurer
Ha! I didn't notice that weird sandbag. They were doing water main work on my street and those were there to catch runoff. Funny!

patoz

Expedition Leader
HPIM1385.JPG

I currently have a late 80's model Yakima 'Space Case' box on my 2004 F250.

I purchased the box from the Nantahala Outdoor Center in the late 80's while on a white water rafting trip there in NC. I had a 1985 Toyota SR5 Pickup Truck with a camper shell at the time, and installed it in the parking lot. It has been on every truck or SUV I have owned ever since.

I primarily use it for things like sleeping bags, pillows, pads, clothes bags, tents, tarps, etc., and any other soft items that are light weight, need to stay dry, and are not immediately needed when setting up camp. So far, I have not had any problems with it leaking even at 75 mph in the rain, making any noise, or coming open when it's not supposed to. The only things I have had to do to it is, replace the weather stripping and the struts that hold the top up when raised. I also reinforced the strut mounting points at the same time, by adding some aluminum backing plates inside.

Mine opens from the rear, so access can be gained from the rear bumper, the tailgate, or from the sides by using either rear tire to stand on.

I love mine and wouldn't go camping without it!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Too funny, I have the exact same box still as well! You made me realize just how long I've had it. Still going strong here too!

I think I paid about $350.00 for it back then, but I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it!

robert

Expedition Leader
I like mine for occasional use and it's been used on several vehicles. It's nice for lightweight and bulky gear, fishing rods, trekking poles, etc.- stuff that takes up space in my sleeping area. My primary use has been when traveling cross country where I will need different types of clothing and sleeping bags i.e. going from warmer SC to the mountains out west to do some camping and skiing. I've had to replace the seal on mine once or twice and I try to keep it wiped down with 303 but other than that no problems; I have never off-roaded it hard but it's been down plenty of gravel and dirt roads. One thing I was told years ago that I've adhered to was to wrap a couple of NRS straps around it to help take the load off of the latches and make sure it stays closed.

prerunner221

Adventurer
Love my Thule for the times I would like to bring my dogs with me on trips. I haven't mounted it to my new rack yet but if I'm traveling without my RTT, it'll go up there in its place.

12472397_10153865465969494_2394788694905302228_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles