Fridge ruggedness? Who has a fridge and beats on their vehicle?

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I was dead set on ordering a fridge for my rig this weekend, until I talked to my buddy I run around Baja with.

I'm worried the fridge won't withstand the beating my truck takes running around the desert. My truck is a "prerunner" type truck and gets beat on, catches air, hits whoops and what not.

My friend I run with blew up two Arb on board air compressors just from shaking them to death.

Do any of you run a fridge and beat on your vehicle? Any thoughts on if I'll destroy the fridge or not?

Buy one with a warranty and hope for the best? Lol

4x4junkie

Explorer
Do teeth-rattling washboard roads count? (taken at 50-60 MPH)? I don't necessarily try to get airborne at all, but that's happened on a few occasions too.

Been doing it with my Edgestar fridge in the back for a bit over 6 years (have put in probably 4K miles just on the washboard roads of the Death Valley/Panamint Valley areas alone). Add to that about a dozen week to two-week trips bangin' against the rocks up in the Sierra mtns, plus countless other trips I can't recall at the moment. No issues so far.

Make sure it's firmly cinched down somewhere in a central location within the vehicle and i think it would be fine. The beating it'll take mounted there is less than if it's mounted near the rear (I'd actually be more worried about the contents of the fridge than the fridge itself when getting airborne).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles