Exploring Utah One Weekend at a Time

I have kind of let this thread die a bit but I am vowing to revive it and update it with my trips. I have several in the backlog that I will work on trip reports for. However, I wanted to post about my most recent trip into the mountains. Each year right around Thanksgiving most of the canyon trail systems are closed for the winter. I always like to run up and get one last trip in each year before they do. It's a good way to get some winter off-roading in as well as pretty much have the place to myself. I headed up American Fork Canyon which is one of the most beautiful canyons in Utah but also the busiest. I usually avoid it on weekends due to the amount of traffic it gets. Outside of hearing some people shooting whom we never saw we had the whole place to ourselves. I packed up the boys and headed out for a day of exploring on Friday. Just past Tibble Fork Reservoir, the road turns to dirt. The first few miles are fun and very scenic. Several sections of the trail are very narrow where only one vehicle can pass at a time. This is where you can run into backups during a busy summer weekend. We were able to take our time stopping to take pictures, setup the camera for some video footage and do some exploring.
UtahSnowExplorer.jpg

It was cold but luckily nothing too rough and we were able to keep ourselves warm with a light jacket. I had my two boys along as well as our labrador Molly. We stopped at Dutchmens flat to eat lunch and do a little bit of hiking. We then headed towards mineral basin to checkout some of the old mining artifacts. American Fork Canyon had pretty active mining for close to 80 years from the late 1800s to mid 1900s. Some of the most unique mining history took place up Miller HIll Road where George Tynge a wealthy miner found a great pay streak. After mining it for two years he was killed in an avalanche. His crew carried him halfway down the mountain to forest city where they found out he wanted to be buried by the mine. Loyal they took him back up taking turns staying by his body for the evening so it was not disturbed by animals until they could dig a grave. The trail up is fairly rough with several very rocky sections. The snow added to the technical nature of the trip but with the help of the lockers we were able to pick our way up to the top. Just before the last push to the gravesite I started losing traction and slid halfway off the trail. Nervous we would slide off and roll I was pretty nervous coming up with a recovery plan. Luckily thanks to the winch I was able to drag the Jeep back on to the trail and without any problems. I have been stuck many times but never in such a precarious position. Luckily we made it back on the trail and back on our adventure. We headed down the canyon ways until we found a beautiful campsite for the night. You can watch the trip below:

Two weeks ago I loaded up the Jeep and headed south towards Utah's San Rafael Swell. It is one of my favorite places to explore and this time I had the privilege of getting a tour from Christian Probasco the author of Backroads of Utah's San Rafael Swell. I met him and several new friends for a weekend of exploring. The Swell is packed with beautiful loads of trails and a lot of history. We looked at several large pictograph panels as well as a dinosaur track and spent time checking out some old mining relics. Our crew consisted of Two Toyota 4Runners, Two Toyota FJ Cruiser a Lexus GX a superb 80s series Land Cruiser and the coolest old CJ5 Jeep I have ever seen on the trail. (oh and me in my Jeep Wrangler).

IMG_1525.JPG

We met just outside Price Utah and made our way through the desert over into the Swell. We did some exploring and stopped at the incredible "Wedge" overlook. Also known as the mini grand canyon. The next day we made our way through the Swell down near Goblin Valley for even more exploring. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the trip as well as a video documenting each day. The Swell is a special place, especially in the winter.

IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94