RPhil's Excursion - Sleeping Platform / Storage

RPhil

Adventurer
This image shows the board that fits nicely between the lip on the front of the platform and the seat tilted forward. This gives me a very quick way to add an additional amount of leg/head room. You can also see why I slanted the box at the front. When the seats are in their upright position, they still have plenty of storage on the floor behind them:

EBUiunyh.jpg

Here's the simple drop-down table I made with a hinge and some paracord. There is a surprising amount of area behind this panel that I will use to store utensils, plates, etc:

qRGXoJEh.jpg

v4lJSHvh.jpg

And a couple pictures of it setup and in action:

FD85Teah.jpg

c7zgjEHh.jpg

Overall, I am quite happy. I bought a couple of self inflating 2.5" sleeping pads from REI that work and fit wonderfully on top. I will be replacing some of the hardware for the hinges with nuts and bolts instead of screws. I will also be tearing into the liftgate to figure out how to make some paracord drawstrings to open the liftgate from inside for some nice morning views.

Cheers :smiley_drive:

lakvoodoo

This image shows the board that fits nicely between the lip on the front of the platform and the seat tilted forward. This gives me a very quick way to add an additional amount of leg/head room. You can also see why I slanted the box at the front. When the seats are in their upright position, they still have plenty of storage on the floor behind them:

EBUiunyh.jpg

Here's the simple drop-down table I made with a hinge and some paracord. There is a surprising amount of area behind this panel that I will use to store utensils, plates, etc:

qRGXoJEh.jpg

v4lJSHvh.jpg

And a couple pictures of it setup and in action:

FD85Teah.jpg

c7zgjEHh.jpg

Overall, I am quite happy. I bought a couple of self inflating 2.5" sleeping pads from REI that work and fit wonderfully on top. I will be replacing some of the hardware for the hinges with nuts and bolts instead of screws. I will also be tearing into the liftgate to figure out how to make some paracord drawstrings to open the liftgate from inside for some nice morning views.

Cheers :smiley_drive:

Great thread! Very cool!! I did something similar (but much more basic) to my Excursion a few years back, and wish I'd added some drawers. I dont have any seats (other than driver/passenger...duh.) Mine's just hinged w/understorage accessed from the passenger doors......recovery/food/emergency stuff on one side and clothes/personal/more used stuff on the other. My tire (35) is on the hard-mounted custom roof rack. I keep a moto on the rear hitch a lot so I sometimes can't really get to the rear w/out messing w/the bike. All you need to do now is add a 3" memory foam mattress and a suggestion....can add a cargo net to the side (by the tire) to store any extra bedding/bags/etc. I keep other stuff in toughboxes which sometimes is a pain to take out of the truck to get under the hinged storage. Still looking for new ideas! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles