Project: Expedition Allroad

ExDementia

Adventurer
your compressor issues have had me thinking...

would it be feasible to build an extension harness and add some more airline, to relocate the pump into the cabin to keep it's source clean?
Compressor snorkel?

Or a popular mod for garage air compressors for plasma cutters is to add an inline filter like the motoguard
Very interesting ideas. I need to find exactly where the intake is for these stupid things and figure something out. I like that inline filter idea.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Another day, another failure.

o8BWsQX.jpg

(My buddies gorgeous E46 M3, not mine, sadly)

So I got the new (though still used) compressor, bench tested it and it put out a ton more air than my old one so I was hopeful. Oh how foolish I was.

I got the replacement compressor all bolted up and connected, double and triple checked everything before firing it up and seeing what happens. The compressor kicks on right away and starts lifting the suspension... but cuts out after 15 seconds. I turn off the car and try it again, but now the compressor doesn't come on at all. So I check all my connections again and the compressor just will not come on, so I figure it's probably the fuse or relay. I spend way too long trying to find the stupid fuse, can't find where it is online, and finally after a lot of trial and error find it, on the one fuse panel that does not have a diagram on the panel.

As expected, the fuse is blown. It's a small fuse for being 40 amps, so of course I had to go to a few different places before I actually was able to find a pack. I throw in the new fuse, and same thing happens. The compressor runs for about 15 seconds and then the fuse blows, and I get angry. I spend some time trying to find anything online or on forums as to why this might be, but I'm, thinking it's just this compressor is not playing nice with my car. I was tired and frustrated and had a family thing to go to, so I just cleaned up and left.

I'm thinking now though, that maybe since this compressor obviously puts out plenty of air, maybe I can transfer the cylinder head from this good compressor to my old one where the electronics seemed to play nice... and maybe this combination will finally work? Or maybe the compressor is drawing too much power because the distribution block is fubar, or a level sensor is off or something -- though I tend not to think that's the case, because both those issues seem to throw codes based on what I've read.

So I'll head back over there tomorrow and see if this works. I'm at the end of my rope here with this thing, so if this doesn't work then I have no idea what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExDementia

Adventurer
Running with the theme of abject failure, today's efforts did not go well, starting with this snapped bolt in the cylinder block:

HJ4JOru.jpg

Pulled the compressor back out in order to transfer the good cylinder head off this one onto my old compressor, and immediately one of the bolts snaps. If all was going to go well, this wouldn't matter, because I didn't need the block off of this compressor... if all went well.

So I put the "new" cylinder head on my old compressor, got it all mounted up in the car, and ran it. It looked good at first, and started to fill the bags, but then reached a point where it was just running and running and not getting anywhere. It was an OK theory on this working, but every piece of the puzzle is just too much of a weak link here, so I think I just need an actually new compressor. I've put way too much time and effort into these old and used parts and gotten nothing out of it. The system holds air perfectly fine, so the compressor is the issue.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Success!

6Pl4jvh.jpg

0LbFRl2.jpg

Finally got a brand new, good compressor in the Allroad, and after tweaking a few things a fixing a leak, it lifts correctly and (mostly) holds air! Still tracking down a slow leak in the left-rear air spring, but that could just be the new bags settling in and sealing properly. It runs and drives surprisingly great with the lift kit as well, and now I have no rubbing except at full lock, which will be fixed with more trimming, it's really not severe. Plus, now I can drive on the freeway at a reasonable speed and bumps down not cause horrific rubbing at the suspension level 2 that the computer sets the height to for freeway speeds.

The leaking spring is the same one that had the hairline crack that I showed in a previous post. I'm going to pull it out and cake the sealing surface in tire slime and see if that works. If not, then I guess I'll need to get a new one. Oh well. I'm happy everything's working as well as it is.

dreadlocks

man I'm glad my audi air suspension seems to be alot more reliable (knocks on wood), but we'll see how its holding up a decade from now..

I used to have a Audi C5, it was an RS6.. I feel your pain oh so much, you think that 2.7t is 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.. wait til you try to do the 35k timing belt jobs on a 4.2L twin turbo.. it had a kludge of a suspension setup too (Dynamic Ride) that never worked right because the hydraulic valves always went bad.. at least you got a 6MT, the slush boxes they used on the C5's were garbage.

Anywho.. love the All Terrains and Air Suspension, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one.

elephant man

Good to see you solved it!
Consider adding a valve (like the fill valves for tires) on each air spring.
That way, you have a plan B if the compresor craps out or some other limp mode deciceds you need your suspension lowered (as is the case with landrover discovery 3)

ExDementia

Adventurer
man I'm glad my audi air suspension seems to be alot more reliable (knocks on wood), but we'll see how its holding up a decade from now..
It unfortunately just came down to many things going to ******** all at once, really, and then me trying to cheap out on the fix that made it a nightmare. Lesson learned there, but once I get it sorted, it should be solid. The suspension can be quite reliable if kept up.

Good to see you solved it!
Consider adding a valve (like the fill valves for tires) on each air spring.
That way, you have a plan B if the compresor craps out or some other limp mode deciceds you need your suspension lowered (as is the case with landrover discovery 3)
Unfortunately I don't think that will really work, as the computer automatically self levels the suspension. I could put it in jack mode, which will keep each corner at whatever level you set it to, but then that turns off as soon as you start driving and then it will automatically lower itself at speed. The real cure would be to go fully standalone with the air suspension with an aftermarket compressor and parts, but that's very expensive.

Been driving it around, feeling out the lift. It's honestly been fantastic. With level 3 being at where level 4 used to be, getting around town and parking lots with these tires is now a non-issue, and only rubs on full lock now. More when turning right than left, because I accidentally cut away less on that side, so I need to get in there and clearance the fender wells a little more, and then I'll be solid. I also have a new air spring on the way for the one that came cracked. I was hoping it would settle in, but it's just not holding air when parked. Frustrating.

M1HIOom.jpg

o5yvyGT.jpg

I need to find a stock Allroad to park next to to show how freaking high up this thing sits now! My head height when driving in level 4 is up around average stock SUV height, but with a lot more ground clearance. I need to take some measurements of the clearance now, because it's pretty crazy.

adphil

I love the project ! I’m into building my b6 a4 for the gambler 500 Qc . I will be using a couple of allroad parts for my car . It happens I also own a 450hp b5s4 2001. I know the struggle , keep up the good work ! I wish I would have have the balls to go overlanding in a 2.7t , mine will have to remain 1.8t for now
5d41b2ba8faa12470c76c1158f798be1.jpg

f0d4dfeed97536f6446236a83b49b039.jpg
6c8bbc0dbc29d8ca9c40707e07943b78.jpg
fd300c9c044e052dca9d4b476f37db23.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

ExDementia

Adventurer
I love the project ! I’m into building my b6 a4 for the gambler 500 Qc . I will be using a couple of allroad parts for my car . It happens I also own a 450hp b5s4 2001. I know the struggle , keep up the good work ! I wish I would have have the balls to go overlanding in a 2.7t , mine will have to remain 1.8t for now
Nice! Dude that looks excellent. What size tires on the black one?

ExDementia

Adventurer
OK, so I got fed up with not doing anything exciting with this project, so I decided to take it out to the desert in 110 degree heat and risk breaking stuff on some trails. We headed out to Anza Borrego to cruise around Fish Creek and Diablo Drop Off.

My buddy ended up with a nearly identical allroad recently, only difference in spec is his is an auto. Anyway, stock VS mine comparison:

20190831_063644.jpg

We went out with my buddy in his Land Cruiser 100. Damn those are nice, definitely wouldn't mind owning one someday. They are absolute beasts.

20190831_065620.jpg

We ended up going the wrong way up the Diablo Drop Off trail, but as much as we tried, the Allroad wasn't able to make it up it. My main problem is gearing, the final drive ratio has been thrown way off by the big tires. It bogged down, lugged out to the point of stalling trying to go up it. Made it most of the way to the top, but as soon as I hit some ruts on opposite corners, I lost enough momentum to render the AR useless. Without low range, it's just not in the cards unless I doubled my speed and risked snapping a CV in the middle of the trail in triple digit heat. No thanks. We got pulled up the obstacle and drove them down.

Man, pictures never show how steep things really are. Also, my license plate bracket light bar thing came off when blasting through the whoops. One of the screws tore through the plastic bumper and was flopping around. I think it needs washers on the backside, but I just ended up removing it.

20190831_110943.jpg

Other random shots:
IMG_20190831_080949.jpg
IMG_20190831_120809.jpg

leavefootprints

Your car looks like its ready for zombie apocalypse!
Are you really taking it to Gambler 500 QC?
I'm in Sherbrooke and travel a lot in QC, I would love to come see how you got to this setup.

I'm thinking of making a TDI swap and lift kit on A4 or Allroad, haven't decided yet...
Let us know how the G500 went!

adphil

I tried last year but car wasn’t ready on time . I will do it next year for sure . I hope it will be finished for 2020 edition ... fingers crossed , but new tire size is promising , doesn’t rub in the firewall no more

e0d76e5d977ae29eb406a21d06e91f90.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles