Project: Expedition Allroad

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
No lie, for the longest time I thought you had put that yellow film over your headlights like some people do with European cars. lol

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I was considering one of these kits, actually: http://www.xpel.com/headlight-prote...s_and_Light_Trucks/2002/Audi/Allroad_Quattro/

I've heard good things about them if you install them correctly, and at $50 (from most places), it seems worth it to not hassle with them anymore.

XPEL headlight film is great, installed since new on seven year old vehicle and headlights (and taillights) still look new. With the film, your lights won't discolor again after polishing and protects against stone and other debris damage too. A heat gun or hair drier and the right alcohol and water solution is key.

Just saw your Allroad article on Jalopnik too! :sombrero

ExDementia

Adventurer
No lie, for the longest time I thought you had put that yellow film over your headlights like some people do with European cars. lol

Haha, I thought the same thing when I first saw the car on Craigslist!

XPEL headlight film is great, installed since new on seven year old vehicle and headlights (and taillights) still look new. With the film, your lights won't discolor again after polishing and protects against stone and other debris damage too. A heat gun or hair drier and the right alcohol and water solution is key.

Just saw your Allroad article on Jalopnik too! :sombrero
Awesome, that's good to hear that it works so well, I want to get the film on there sooner rather than later for sure. Gotta keep it nice!

Yeah man, crazy that they published the story on the site, right?
GDrHcqM.jpg

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-s-exactly-what-it-cost-to-turn-the-worlds-least-re-1794042682\

I didn't pick the title, BTW

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Haha, I thought the same thing when I first saw the car on Craigslist!

Awesome, that's good to hear that it works so well, I want to get the film on there sooner rather than later for sure. Gotta keep it nice!

Yeah man, crazy that they published the story on the site, right?

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-s-exactly-what-it-cost-to-turn-the-worlds-least-re-1794042682

Yeah, pretty neat! :coffee:

I was really considering an Allroad 10 or so years ago and even test drove a used manual in black that I thought about long and hard. But looking back, glad I didn't go that route at the time as I probably wouldn't have it now unlike my van. Your build has been enjoyable and inspiring though and much easier on the budget!

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Just read through this entire thread, and the baroness is an awesome project. Really love how this turned out. I am definitely subscribed for future updates. :smiley_drive:

biturbo

Thanks man! I appreciate that!

Haha yeah!

Landed here from the Jalopnik article. I'm the IPP arms guy. I'm going to be doing a similar thing to my allroad, including a TDI engine swap. I don't know if you've thought of this, but I'm having some spacers made to give the car a 1.4" body lift. This will allow us to run the larger tires and never have to worry about an air bag blowing out and being stuck on the side of the road. The body lift will essentially move the bump stop down about 1" (0.7 suspension motion ratio), which should keep the tires from ever rubbing the inner fender.

If you're interested in doing the same, I'm more than happy to share the drawings with you once I confirm their fitment/use.

ExDementia

Adventurer
If you're interested in doing the same, I'm more than happy to share the drawings with you once I confirm their fitment/use.

That would be awesome, man! I've been trying to figure out some solution to this, so I would be very interested in pitching in where I can here.

So are you thinking the spacers would go between the bags and the top mount?

Feel free to PM me if needed.

biturbo

The spacers will go between the top mount and the body. I've looked at this several times and there's only about a 2" diameter around each bolt where that bracket touches the shock tower. The rest of the bracket never touches anything. This way the suspension geometry stays relatively unchanged. Also, by moving the upper mount down slightly, we can keep the upper control arms at lesser angles, thereby minimizing camber angle changes. The CV joints won't complain at low speeds either. For the rear, it's the same idea. You've got my email, right?

ExDementia

Adventurer
The spacers will go between the top mount and the body. I've looked at this several times and there's only about a 2" diameter around each bolt where that bracket touches the shock tower. The rest of the bracket never touches anything. This way the suspension geometry stays relatively unchanged. Also, by moving the upper mount down slightly, we can keep the upper control arms at lesser angles, thereby minimizing camber angle changes. The CV joints won't complain at low speeds either. For the rear, it's the same idea. You've got my email, right?

Ok, I see what you're saying. Like spacing the subframe from the body? Very interesting!

I don't believe I have your email, sending you a PM now

onemanarmy

Explorer
Awesome build.

is it not possible to remove the air suspension in favor of coils?

and tighten up those Hellas, they are all over the place. Ha.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Awesome build.

is it not possible to remove the air suspension in favor of coils?

and tighten up those Hellas, they are all over the place. Ha.

There are coil conversion kits available, they just are all stock level 2 height or lower, so I would need something custom built to lift it back up to the height my air suspension can provide.

Haha the Hellas are on tight, it's just clearance from the bar on one side that is preventing them from sitting straight. I spaced it out now so they're fixed

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior