Project: Expedition Allroad

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
AHHHH, didn't know that....All I know is my legacy GT was 5x100....so common sense would figure everyone was. that's strange.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Roof rack time!

XWOoVBfh.jpg

It's not the greatest cargo basket of all time, but it was dirt cheap (got a killer deal on it). From reading online it just needs some TLC in preventing rust, and the fit and finish is a little iffy, but I can tell already that it is plenty solid for what I'll need it for. If I hadn't gotten such a ridiculous price on this, I definitely would have gone with a Yakima LoadWarrior instead. If I had paid full retail for this, I would have sent it back for something else. But for what I paid, I can't complain one bit.

Got the extension with the rack, so it came in three sections:

tJnBCT6h.jpg

This is the updated version, so it came with these rubber sleeves for where the bars connect together, but there were some issues with fitment that made it just about impossible to put together with them on. I ended up draping a rag over the bar in a few places and whacking it into shape with a dead blow just to get the extension to fit in with the rest of the rack. Like I said, if I had paid retail on this, I wouldn't have even bothered and would have sent it back immediately. Oh well, I eventually got it together without a scratch on it, and skipped the rubber sleeves since they even covered the holes for the screws anyway.

You can see here how poorly everything lines up:

kG6qIZ3h.jpg

BXlCz1Ah.jpg

IxUIGSvh.jpg

vS6kN5Nh.jpg

PXnhg05h.jpg

The screws were all self tapping, and since half of them didn't line up correctly, I'm sure the screws took out plenty of the powder coat on the edges going in, not to mention that it was a pain in the *** to even get them to thread. I'll be taking them out tomorrow and sealing everything up tightly with RTV just to be safe -- not that rust is a huge worry here in SoCal anyway, but I'd rather just do it right.

The whole thing probably weighs ~45 lbs with the extension, but with how big and beefy it feels to carry, it really didn't seem all that heavy for the size of it. Once the clamps were installed and everything lined up, this thing is completely rock solid. I grabbed the top bars and rocked the Audi back and forth pretty much as hard as I could and it didn't budge one bit. I read a lot of reviews that complained about the mounting clamps, but after 5 minutes of tightening, I couldn't imagine them being more solid.

Xjt1UFOh.jpg

z5QGMNrh.jpg

xSUFt7Xh.jpg

SfjCZaKh.jpg

y7yPwqFh.jpg

ujjqNEfh.jpg

Hy8tCAJh.jpg

You're not a true mall crawler until you literally take your rig to the mall for poser shots, amiright? Now the question is if I throw a light bar on it, or a row of round lights to match the Hellas on my bumper... Decisions, decisions.

java

Expedition Leader
I had a Rola for years. They are solid. Seal it well, it WILL puke nasty rusty water forever. I took mine apart and welded it, then ran polyurethane caulk around the joints, like a 1.5" wide band on the outside. That sealed the joints, but there were a few pinholes in the welds, those show up after some freeway driving....

ExDementia

Adventurer
I had a Rola for years. They are solid. Seal it well, it WILL puke nasty rusty water forever. I took mine apart and welded it, then ran polyurethane caulk around the joints, like a 1.5" wide band on the outside. That sealed the joints, but there were a few pinholes in the welds, those show up after some freeway driving....
Definitely going to RTV the **** out of this thing!

johanso

Adventurer
I really enjoy following this thread. Great courage to take on a project like this. I'm a big fan of the first gen Allroad and been wanting to get one for a couple of years but finding a decent one is a pita..

ExDementia

Adventurer
I really enjoy following this thread. Great courage to take on a project like this. I'm a big fan of the first gen Allroad and been wanting to get one for a couple of years but finding a decent one is a pita..
Thank you! I'm not sure how the market is in Sweden, but over here there are pretty uncommon to find. Unless you buy a fixer upper like I did, I can see it being pretty damn tough to find a decent running example that is in good shape.

On the plus side, you guys had a lot more options for engines over there, even a diesel option, so that's pretty cool.

johanso

Adventurer
They are pretty common but it's hard to find a nice one. I guess they are quite expensive to keep running when they get older and people seem to neglect them.

We got three engine options 2.7t, 2.5 diesel and 4.2 v8. The latter being the most rare. The diesel with manual transmission even have low range gear if I remember correctly. Being a pre dpf era engine the 2.5 diesel has ridiculously high tax over here which reduce the demand for it these days.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Both 2,7 TT and 2,5 TDI had the option of low range (1,54:1) with the manual transmission

http://www.forum-audi.com/topic-209-presentation-de-l-audi-allroad-quattro.html

Its in french, helps you learn a new language !

That's an awesome resource! Thanks for posting that. I've been considering down the line attempting to retrofit mine with low range, but it looks like a hell of a lot of work, and would be expensive as hell to ship parts over from Europe. Plus there's all the electronics ICS that I would need to get working, and I have no idea how much work that would be since no US spec Allroad ever came with low range.

It will probably more hassle than it's worth, but I'm going to look into it more for sure

ExDementia

Adventurer
Met a potential buyer for the old engine at my buddy's house where the engine is stored, and while I was there we spent a solid 15 minutes with a random orbital and cleaned up the ugly headlights. Just some buffing compound and two different density pads, and it made a huge difference:

Before:

hLwANfQh.jpg

After:

EHyWOMFh.jpg

I'll have to take better shots soon.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
Mspent a solid 15 minutes with a random orbital and cleaned up the ugly headlights. Just some buffing compound and two different density pads, and it made a huge difference:

After:

EHyWOMFh.jpg

I'll have to take better shots soon.

The headlights look great! I have done this before on two vehicles, and in the so cal sun, they will start to turn again in a few months. With the OEM UV protection removed, the beauty will not last.

I did some research on the topic, the best solution appears to be finishing with crystal clear spray paint. Run a couple of dusting coats and finish with a wet coat. There are some good youtube vids with more info.

ExDementia

Adventurer
The headlights look great! I have done this before on two vehicles, and in the so cal sun, they will start to turn again in a few months. With the OEM UV protection removed, the beauty will not last.

I did some research on the topic, the best solution appears to be finishing with crystal clear spray paint. Run a couple of dusting coats and finish with a wet coat. There are some good youtube vids with more info.

I was considering one of these kits, actually: http://www.xpel.com/headlight-prote...s_and_Light_Trucks/2002/Audi/Allroad_Quattro/

I've heard good things about them if you install them correctly, and at $50 (from most places), it seems worth it to not hassle with them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz