Project: Expedition Allroad

ExDementia

Adventurer

java

Expedition Leader
Oh nice, thanks for the info! I'll have to look into how similar this relay is to the one on the Allroad

Ill bet its the same. Germans like to use the same parts. I did mine a bit different than that write up, but same goal. I cant find the one I used now.

Getting that relay out SUCKS, wear gloves.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Haha thank you!

Hmm, OK you're right, I tried it, the rear fogs do turn off with the high beams. Damn.

The reason I don't want to run them with the high beams is because in California uncertified off-road lights need to be covered when on public streets. That would mean that anytime I want to use my high beams, I would either be running the Hellas with the covers on (and potentially melt them), or I would have to go uncover them. Neither are what I would prefer.

I'll have to do some research and see if I can either disable that feature in VCDS (there's all kinds of crazy stuff you can do) or wire it differently so that the rear fogs are not disabled with the high beams. Otherwise I might have to wire up a separate switch, which is not something I wanted to do, because I wanted to keep the interior as OEM as possible (besides a CB or HAM radio that I was going to install).

Thanks for the insight, guys. Back to the drawing board.

This is the reason I said switch them as well. so you can trigger them with your high beam switch, but you can still switch them off as well. So you can use the highbeams by themselves....that's how I wire ALL my forward driving lights. Fog lights I do the same but on low beam/fog switch.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Hmm, I'll need to do some digging around in VCDS. Java's method might be what I need to do, I'll have to take a look at some wiring diagrams to see if the A6/Allroad use the same relay. Kojack, your way does give the most options, but I would really prefer not to add an aftermarket switch anywhere if I can help it.

I can now say that I have technically taken the Expedition Allroad off road! The actual trail is absolutely nothing to brag about, but hey, it's offroad so I'm counting it. It's just a nothing fire road just outside of town. I was picking up some parts for my beater DD (a Volvo V40) and this trail was near the guys house out behind the town of Ramona, so I figured I'd go a little ways up the trail and take some poser shots lol. I'm still not going to actually do anything offroad with this until I get the tire rub, skid plate, and bump stop situation sorted out.

Anyway:

KOUEPjX.jpg

jrW6qpL.jpg

tMIbpFr.jpg

Poser shots accomplished. It will eventually be put through its paces, but it just isn't ready for that yet.

vhercules

Nice build, the poser shots are great. I have seen an allroad do some cool off roading in this forum posted by the soft roader guys from Texas. For most people these are luxury family haulers with the Quattro for bad weather, so nice to see you build yours to be expedition and off road worthy.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Nice build, the poser shots are great. I have seen an allroad do some cool off roading in this forum posted by the soft roader guys from Texas. For most people these are luxury family haulers with the Quattro for bad weather, so nice to see you build yours to be expedition and off road worthy.
Thank you! Can't wait to get it out on some real trails.

Replaced the turn signal stalk this weekend. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still a bit of a pain. Audi packaging is nothing if not tight and complicated, so getting the panels for the column apart and then back together correctly was the worst part of the whole job. Oh, and the fact that they use a different type of electrical connector with different ways to unclip them for every freaking connection. Oh well, it's done.

Airbag out:

yo3kjGR.jpg

YMFZDNy.jpg

The one triple square bolt holding on the steering wheel (annoying):

Qo8S8Ec.jpg

If anyone ever tackles something similar to this on this generation Audi/VW (maybe others, I don't know), make sure to tape the clockspring in place! Otherwise you will run into all kinds of headaches with the steering angle sensor and it will throw off the ESP and ABS system until you recalibrate it in VAGCOM. Fixable for sure, but an unnecessary headache:

iYIDRNu.jpg

u67SpaC.jpg

New hotness VS old and busted:

sTs1Eh4.jpg

Luckily the new turn stalk worked perfectly, but the new hazard light switch/relay they sent me did not work. It would just stay locked on or off and wouldn't flash. Luckily my old one actually still worked fine, so I just put that back in. I bought both just to be safe, so the new one will be going back so I can get my $20 back. Cheap as hell, I guess you get what you pay for.

Next I tried to install the skidplate, but ran into some issues. I bought the plate used off of a guy on another forum, and he had told me that it was actually the skidplate for the A6, and not the Allroad. That meant the front mounting locations were a bit different, and they actually tie into the plastic tray that held in the splash guard in the front, but those mounting points were completely torn out by the previous owner offroading, so I'll have to drill some new holes in the skidplate to mount it to the bottom of the front carrier instead -- which is where the actual Allroad version of the skidplate bolts in, so it will be more sturdy this way. That will be a lot of measuring and some drilling that will have to wait until next weekend.

This skidplate is plenty beefy, though. It will definitely be able to take some hits once it's installed. I'll have to take some better shots of it later to show the thickness.

EBWC3zk.jpg

Up on ramps trying to install it next to my buddy's 1944 Desoto Firedome Coupe that he's restoring. It's ************* gigantic! It has to be close to 20ft long, and it's a coupe.

NsJBp2V.jpg

VXr32Ct.jpg

Other than that I was just trying to take care of a slow oil leak I have from the rear oil distribution block to the turbo feed lines. One side is weeping a bit of oil, and it's bugging the **** out of me. I might have to remove it and try a different crush washer, because I think it's still leaking after torquing it down some more. Also the rear bags are starting to sag overnight, so it's time to order up a new set. I knew these were on their last legs when I bought it, so I was going to have to replace them eventually anyway.

Last edited:

thisoneguy

Audi Expositioner
Thanks man! BTW, do you have a thread or anything for yours?

Nah, I really haven't done anything near or as special as what you are doing. I have a skid plate, the leveling arm extenders and the tires, would love to do more... just time and money.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would not restore it, just bag it pust some cool vintage wheels on it...even big steelies and build the crap out of the motor! it's awesome....barn fresh! the audi is coming along awesome!

ExDementia

Adventurer
Nah, I really haven't done anything near or as special as what you are doing. I have a skid plate, the leveling arm extenders and the tires, would love to do more... just time and money.
Gotcha, what skid plate did you go with? The Evolution Import one?

I would not restore it, just bag it pust some cool vintage wheels on it...even big steelies and build the crap out of the motor! it's awesome....barn fresh! the audi is coming along awesome!
I think his plan for now is to just get it running solid, get the interior serviceable, and then just get everything working properly and drive it for a while. Then I think down the road he wants to do a full restoration. Really cool car though.

ExDementia

Adventurer
In my quest to get rid of my tire rub, I have two choices:

A. Go with bigger spacers (currently at ~25mm spacers)
B. Get wheels with an appropriate backspacing

I don't like the idea of throwing even bigger spacers on there, so wheels are a better bet (also more expensive of course. The issue there is that there are almost no appropriate wheel options for this application in the Audi 5x112 bolt pattern. Luckily, there is a solution there, which I thought was sketchy as hell at first but after reading and talking to people running them, seem to be legit: Wobble bolts.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Wobble_Bolts_14x15x27/
WobbleBolts14x15x27NEWSLARGE20110909124115_large.jpg

These will allow me to run 5x114.3 wheels, which is equal to the Jeep TJ, YJ, XJ, etc 5x4.5" bolt pattern, which opens my selection up quite a bit.

My top choice is definitely the Method NVs in 16x8 with a 0mm offset:
method_mr305_nv_wheels_machined_face_matte_black_lip_sample.jpg
method_mr305_nv_wheels_hero.jpg

But then there are the Fuel Vector wheels in 16x8 with a +1mm offset, which are pretty much a knock off of the NVs:
fuel_vector_brushed_face_with_gloss_black_windows_sample.jpg
fuel_vector_matte_black_sample.jpg

The Fuel's obviously are not as high quality, but damn they are cheap. I will be needing 5 (full size spare), and the Fuel's are 2/3rds the price:
pxASZnyh.jpg

I'm also torn on whether to go with the machined face/silver ones or the all black. Decisions, decisions!

A few random pics:
xL0W7R7.jpg

x38SpFH.jpg
Also tightened up the loose light mounts, they were turning all over the place, haha

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I love me some black wheels.... The Method's are better looking, but I could be swayed by price too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94