Flatbed FWC on an AT modified RAM

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Not reducing the fraction 5/16" would be 10/32". Wearing off 5/32" for 30,000 miles sounds good. After the 5th tire goes through the rotation you can subtract 10,000 miles traveled that each tire has missed being on the ground.

BTW I like your set up and sorry I missed your previous postings with the images.

Agree, sounds like good wear.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Looks like you combined two folding ladders.
Do the new ARB bumpers protect the low hanging intercooler?
I know he 3rd gen model didn't. Cool rig indeed.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Looks like you combined two folding ladders.
Do the new ARB bumpers protect the low hanging intercooler?
I know he 3rd gen model didn't. Cool rig indeed.

The truck was sourced with set of Glowsteps that only had 4 treads. They didn't reach the ground. I ordered two separate treads and added them to the existing stair. Works fine to reach the door which sits at 4' off the ground. The adjustable feet at the bottom are handy too. They stow in the grey box that is sitting under the truck. The box sits in front of the doorway and contains whatever dirt and moisture come along with the stair. Easy to pad the box in the entryway so it doesn't slide around.

.Steps.JPG

The bumper has a guard of sorts underneath to protect the intercooler. See pic below.
Front Bumper.JPG

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
It's been a while since I've provided an update on the truck and camper. It is still working well and being used as planned. The odometer is up to 66,000 miles now so I'd say it is broken in. I've only made one significant addition and that was a BD Diesel Performance 2 Lo Unlock Differential Kit that let's you run the truck in 2 wheel drive low range. It is a big help in backing up trailers on pavement when you want the lower speed and power of low range but not with the tire scrub and steering binding of doing it in 4 wheel drive. It is as simple as flipping the switch prior to making the shift into 4 Wheel Low. I use it fairly often with the big trailer, or backing up hills or tight spaces with the little trailer.

Speaking of trailers, I've used the larger trailer for a variety of tows. Around town it works to haul lumber and tractors, (either mine or moving one for friends).
20181228_165022.jpg

1.jpg

Towed this combo from TX to PA. We had a car club event in Virginia along the way. We left the big trailer and car in PA and took the camper and little trailer up for a tour of the Canadian Maritimes. In all that was a 3 month, 13,000 mile trip.

Canada FWC 002.jpg

We made a similar trip another summer with the Jeep and Ranger up to PA. The Jeep and Ranger were just alternate transportation/toys while we spent 2 weeks up there enjoying summer.

Truck and Car Hauler in PA 2.JPG

There have been no issues with the truck other than a couple of recalls. AEV had a recall on the wheels and drag link that were covered by them. The K02's had enough at 63,000 miles and I went with another set of the same. I had cut the tread on one tire on a rock pretty good. It was adequate as a spare but I wasn't trusting it at highway speeds. It went into service as the spare only and I finished out the tire life with just rotating the 4 good ones.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Here are some updated photos from out on the road. This one was above the arctic circle on our way north to Prudhoe Bay.

Alaska above the Artic Circle 01.jpg

Same spot but without the rainbow.

Alaska above the Artic Circle 02.JPG

Headed south toward Wrangle St. Elias Park

Alaska on the road 09.JPG

Parked at a campground in Nova Scotia.

Canada FWC 007.JPG

Touring through southern Newfoundland.

Canada FWC 010.JPG

Up on the Northern Tip of Newfoundland.

Canada FWC 023.JPG

On the coast of the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec.

Canada FWC 041.jpg

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
And a few more from the Lower 48. This one camped at Alstrom Point overlooking Lake Powell.

Calendar 19.JPG

Muley Twist Canyon off the Burr Trail.

Calendar 26.JPG

Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Calendar 34.JPG

Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky.

PA2020 034.jpg

More Land Between the Lakes.

PA2020 039.JPG

One more in Land Between the Lakes.

PA2020 049.JPG

In the San Rafael Swell
West 19 021.JPG

Maze District of Canyonlands

West 19 041.JPG

Switchbacks on the Flint Trail in the Maze District of Canyonlands.

West 19 071.JPG

GreggNY

Just read through this whole thread. Love the build, and great pics. Any regrets going with the G56? I’ve got an auto 2500 now but always miss rowing gears

Inline6

Adventurer
overall great vehicle choices, I have very similar cars, jeeps and trucks.

great that you can get out to all the places and use them as well, mine just start at me as I work

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Just read through this whole thread. Love the build, and great pics. Any regrets going with the G56? I’ve got an auto 2500 now but always miss rowing gears
Thanks. No regrets on the G56. The manual transmission coupled with the selectable exhaust brake make controlling speed on long descents, even when towing nice and easy. 1rst gear on the manual is half the ratio of 1rst on an Auto trans, so it crawls nice and slow and steady when you ask it to.

Hendo1685

Love this build! It's an inspiration. I have my Dodge on order and am waiting patiently (impatiently). I was told by the guy selling me the FWC that I should be careful mounting things to the corner supports of the FWC. Which to me didn't make sense, b/c the entire rig (if a non-flatbed camper) gets lifted from those points. Seems pretty strong to me. Your build confirms this as you have those wonderful boxes and the spare mounted there! Have you noticed any damage mounting such heavy things to those corner supports?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles