Fuso Composite Camper - Under Construction

The Artisan

Adventurer
Looks like your off to great start.

Why only two windows, are there plans to add more?

Consider not going any smaller than a 28" wide entry door.

You can tape off the living space on the floor. It will give you spacial awareness as you move about the area.

Plan was to use 1/2" thick Makrolon Clerestory custom fixed windows above. One side (2) 4' x 8" windows, 4' x 8" on the opposite side. Door is wide for ease of mountain bikes and kyakks if wanted. With the folding bed and table up, the floor space is 8' x 7' without the custom couches. Different then most common campers, open floor plan. 40" plasma works well in the space...
Kevin

Attachments

• boxside.jpg
    boxside.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 191
  • boxangle.jpg
    boxangle.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 236
  • Myfusowithboxandtrailergraybed.jpg
    Myfusowithboxandtrailergraybed.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Had to order a new shower pan as I did not acct for the depth of my first one, which crowded the door opening Did a quick setting of the pan in the space. Will have time to work on it in Jan.
Bathroom layout
Kevin

Attachments

• showerslidingtoilet.jpg
    showerslidingtoilet.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 457
  • CTBathroom.jpg
    CTBathroom.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 151
  • kitchenfinal.jpg
    kitchenfinal.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
^ Looks good!

Will the pan drain into the gray tank directly or will you use a marine bilge pump?

Thanks directly into a 30 gallon gray. Trying to figure out a way to create a closed loop reuse system by filtering it back into another 30 gallon tank. Found a system that has 3 filters and UV. Might be able to reuse it a few times before changing, still undecided.
Kevin

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
^ Sounds like a plan, but keep things simple.

Having been a caregiver for my father, I discovered that a bag of Assurance Extra Large Pre-Moistened Disposable Washcloths from Walmart go a long way in keeping one clean and feeling fresh as a daisy.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Good to know... I think I could take a good 2 min military shower and use 3 gallons with the 1.5gph.
Looked at those wipes nice alternative when there is no sun for my solar water heater. Might not need the 7 gal hot water heater now...
Thanks.
Kevin

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Would you be willing to provide details of your panel construction? It would be really helpful for the DIY guys. Thanks!

The Artisan

Adventurer
I hope you understand that I wont divulge my source for the panels, as the plan is to start producing my pods in an empty shell form for sale in the spring. I will tell you it is an FRP panel. Basically a 2" EPS foam wrapped with fiberglass on each side, glue bonding and surface pressure is the key to a good strong panel. A number of different types of sheets can be used to create the FRP composite panels. I would suggest buying your panels made before you start your project. There is a co on here that has kits which might be a good place to start for the DIYer..
Kevin

rruff

Explorer
Thanks for the info! Sounds like the outer sheets are pre made vs a wet fiberglass layup? Is it high density EPS? Reason why this was chosen vs XPS foam? If you don't wish to answer, that's cool. I understand since you are planning to go into the business.

I checked with Total Composites, but the camper shell kit looked to be in the $20k range and that is a little rich for me.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hey man no worries I chose EPS for the first one due to availability and cost to be honest, I went with 2.5 density. I might go XPS on the next proto but don't see the advantages thus far.
I plan to make custom sizes to customer spec empty to fully furnished. This would be a side business for me as Automotive upholstery and Restoration is my main business.
I thought I read the co offered a 10k kit?
Kevin

rruff

Explorer
Is it 2.5 lb/ft^3 density, or 25 psi? Usually they go by psi. I've been obsessing over foam lately. Typically for structural sandwich applications PVC or PU foam is used ~5 lb/ft^3 density. That stuff is real expensive. So I've looked into Foamular 600 and Dow 60 which are both 60 psi XPS foam (vs the Foamular 150 15 psi stuff at Home Depot). But where I live it isn't sold in stores and it can't be ordered in quantities less than 50 sheets, which is way more than I need.

Even the heavy duty 100psi styrofoam only goes up to 3 lb/ft^3. http://www.foamular.com/assets/0/144/172/174/98cf58e1-c3d2-4b6c-beb5-2063215bea18.pdf So it's quite a bit lighter than PVC structural foam. Total Composites and Styromax both use XPS foam in sandwich construction, but it is probably the heavier duty stuff. http://www.styromax.com.au/category/products/#styromax-panels

It's hard to find details on sandwich construction, and there are a lot of people claim that styrofoam doesn't work for structures because it is too weak. Apparently the two manufacturers above disagree. I did find one discussion on a boat forum where it appears they concluded it would work, but you just wouldn't be able to build as strong a panel as with PVC. http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fi...uilding/extruded-polystyrene-xps-24213-2.html

Bottom line is we aren't building big boats and pounding them over waves, and styrofoam should be viable for a structural core, just not as good as PVC. I'd use the heaviest you can find though, and test it well.

The minimum is $10k at Total Composites, but the normal additions and shipping add up. I didn't get a quote from them but someone else posted that it was $18k +engineering, +shipping for their truck camper shell.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Per cubic foot. I looked at foamular 600 and can get it local but then I have to ship it to my panel builder. The stuff is light but it costs a boatload to ship due to the sizes of the panels. The foam is strong but its the outer sheets you use and glue that make the structure of the panel. I hit my driver into it it was around 115mph (ball speed around 170) it barely dented it. Take that and you enclose it in 1/8" polyurea coating and the entire thing becomes one strong unit.
Kevin

rruff

Explorer
That's pretty strong foam then. If you look at the Foamular chart I linked above it should be about 40 psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne