Boafang UV5RA programming cable

Rickbfried

Observer
Took the plunge and purchased one of these on Amazon for $26 bucks. Then onto eBay and tried to purchase one of the "cheap" cables for $4 from China, never shipped and got my coffee money refunded. Then purchased one on Amazon for $7.00. Got it in one day, but never worked. Researching, then tossed that into the trash and got the "official" one for $20. (Almost the cost of the radio!). Reinstalled the drivers on a win 10 machine then worked like a charm. Used one of the standard marine chirp files, took all of 20 seconds to program the radio. Recommend, use real cables.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The cheaper cables will work fine if you use the correct driver for it, available at www.miklor.com. Though I understand some versions of Windows will try to install an incompatible driver over top of yours if you don't tell it not to.

snare

Adventurer
Anyone have any issues with using the cheaper cables while using Linux (i use Mint 17.3) ?

snare

Adventurer
FYI, I ordered the cheapest cable i could find that would arrive in a decent time.This is not an FTDI chip cable.
I run Linux Mint 17.3 as my OS.
I had zero issues using the cheap cable. (after putting my user in the 'dialout' group as permitted to access serial port).

Just FYI for Linux users.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Those things are worth it if just because keying in everything by hand is such a pain. Editing the Chirp file and uploading it saves so much time.

ndtroutslayer

Another thing with the cheap cables is that sometimes they don't fit properly in the jack on the unit. Some people have reported success with inop cables by shaving some of the rubber around the plug and it will seat firmly into radio.

I picked up a $4.99 cable and it works with my Windows 7 laptop and with Kali Linux seamlessly. IMO, it is worth it's weight if you are planning on programming more than a few channels.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
The cheaper cables will work fine if you use the correct driver for it, available at www.miklor.com. Though I understand some versions of Windows will try to install an incompatible driver over top of yours if you don't tell it not to.

i made to sure to download the correct drivers and checked and checked again that the divers were correct, the cheap cable did not work because the chip failed, it was a hardware failure for me. the cable worked once, then never again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior