Custom Maps for Gaia GPS

malibubts

Adventurer
Generally they should be identical, but not in all cases. The MVUM is the authoritative source for USFS vehicle/ATV access, and generally (but not always) up-to-date (And not all Forests have completed a MVUM). The USFS Raster is is based on the USGS 24k with USFS overlays. Not all roads or trails represented on the USFS Raster are actually legal to traverse - you need to refer to the MVUM for that. The ideal scenario would be the USFS Raster with a MVUM Vector overlay.....

Great information! The Raster definitely looked very similar to the MVUM maps I was looking at, but I wasn't knowledgeable enough of the mappings to know for sure what the differences were. The ideal case does sound like getting a MVUM overlay on the Raster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I have a question about the app. I have uploaded the TransAmerica Trail onto GAIA. Now do I have to save the maps (upto 100K per map) to be able to use offline or can I just use way points to drive by?

1Louder

Explorer
I have a question about the app. I have uploaded the TransAmerica Trail onto GAIA. Now do I have to save the maps (upto 100K per map) to be able to use offline or can I just use way points to drive by?

If you don't need large areas around the track just tell it to download the maps for the track(s). Then you can pick which layers you want. If you want maps offline then you need to download them for offline use. Otherwise you will be looking at a blank screen with the track unless phone service becomes available. The Gaia Topo maps are pretty small downloads I believe. So you might want to experiment downloading different map types. My favorite are the raster maps. New versions just came out. Your choices are USFS 2016 or USFS Classic for the older version. Here's a blog post discussing the update.

http://blog.gaiagps.com/usfs-map-source-updated

1Louder

Explorer
Just to give everyone an update. Good news is that one of the GIS folks at Gaia is working on incorporating MVUM's into the application. I don't have an implementation timeframe though.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'm currently running Backcountry Navigator Pro with Accuterra maps, trying to learn Hema NA but not real hot on that. I'm contemplating Gaia Pro now and would gladly pay for updated MVUM for MT, WY, ID, SD/ND, UT, CO, NM etc. I'll start with MT/WY/ID first :)

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I'm currently running Backcountry Navigator Pro with Accuterra maps, trying to learn Hema NA but not real hot on that. I'm contemplating Gaia Pro now and would gladly pay for updated MVUM for MT, WY, ID, SD/ND, UT, CO, NM etc. I'll start with MT/WY/ID first :)
Don't do Hema, Gaia is what Hema was built from except Gaia is actively updated and supported and works much better

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
Don't do Hema, Gaia is what Hema was built from except Gaia is actively updated and supported and works much better

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I bought Hema back when it came out. $20 wasted! But hey, they have nice expo rigs ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles