EyeInTheSky's Gen 3 Budget Build Thread

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I'm not sure on the other two, but the one on the far right is a wiring harness bracket, it has the triangular cut out for the little clip. I believe the other two are in the region of temperature sensors but not sure.
Thanks. I'll look for a retaining ring on the harness that isn't connected. World's worst jigsaw puzzle.

KyleT

Explorer
I believe the ar left Bracket is on the left head (drivers side) and holds a connector and the plastic timing cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I believe the ar left Bracket is on the left head (drivers side) and holds a connector and the plastic timing cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried all kinds of configurations but couldn't figure it out. I'll take another look tomorrow. Thank you.

I got everything assembled, did my final sanity checks (starting at the most basic level to find stupid mistakes), and enlisted the help of my wife. Had her in the driver's seat while I watched closely. Powered everything up, let the pumps run a bit, and tried to start. Nothing. Constant crank, battery has plenty of voltage, plenty of throttle. Nothing. I know spark+fuel=bang, so I'm not sure what's missing. Multiple cranks, long and short, no start. :-/ Any suggestions? Might I need starting fluid on its first crank?

BOPOH

Explorer
did you remove any fuses? maybe forgot to plug them in? check all connections on top, that's where crank and cam position sensors plug in, also check your MAF connector is kinda out of the way and I personally forgot to plug it in few times. Also if how long did you let it crank? maybe your fuel pump didn't build enough pressure in fuel rail? did you do anything with your throttle body? position sensor could be keeping it closed instead of small crack to allow idle air. did you mess with your security system?

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
There is no way it should need starting fluid. There must be something unhooked. Is the fuel pump running?

Can't really hear it from inside... see below however.

did you remove any fuses? maybe forgot to plug them in? check all connections on top, that's where crank and cam position sensors plug in, also check your MAF connector is kinda out of the way and I personally forgot to plug it in few times. Also if how long did you let it crank? maybe your fuel pump didn't build enough pressure in fuel rail? did you do anything with your throttle body? position sensor could be keeping it closed instead of small crack to allow idle air. did you mess with your security system?

Checked all fuses and they were goos. Thanks for the tip in the MAF, missed that one (no start still). Cranked plenty, should have pressurized rail.

Asked a mechanic friend last night and he gave a really good, simple tip: check codes.

P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor. Ran diagnostics from the FSM, looks like it's bad. Replacement is on its way, should arrive tomorrow.

The old one was pretty grimy and gross; I cleaned it out and might try reinstalling it (I'm becoming an expert at tearing down the front of the engine, maybe 40 minutes now from fully assembled to timing belt exposed). Will keep you posted. I'm so close!

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I cleaned out the crankshaft position sensor and reinstalled. After charging the battery I get crank with no start. P0335 code went away so that seemed to do the trick, now I'm getting P0340, cam shaft position sensor. Here's a video of what it sounds like. Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/-8x2AJ8wB8Y

jaccox23

Adventurer
maybe clean the plug connections. seems maybe water got into the pig tails and is causing poor connections? no way both went out at the same time randomly. maybe they got wet at the shop and that is your problem. cam sensor is much easier to get to than the crank so its getting easier lol. although my '99 threw both at once when i first got it and i went ahead and did the timing belt since i had no history of it. maybe double check the timing marks and make sure its not off. I couldn't hear any interference but maybe its just that far off that the ECU is having a brain fart

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I'm done. Throwing in the towel. It was a good effort but I'm stuck.

Took a half day from work to come home and fix the timing (leaving the country soon for a few weeks for work, want to get her up and running before that). Reset the timing (3x), realized I hadn't adjusted the tensioner pulley correctly before, got it all set up, reassembled, crank, no start, P0340, called my shop. I'm done. Thanks for the help guys.

offthepath

Adventurer
Hang in there. It must be something simple.

I put injectors in my diesel and after cranking and cranking it would never fire. I jacked around with it for 2 days. I did not plug back in the main wiring harness......

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
My GF and I spent an entire day tracing the wiring on a 1957 TR3 that we were going to drive in a rally. The entire day....

Turned out one of the battery leads was off. :squint:

coffeegoat

Adventurer
At this point you might just be blind to the issue, happens to me all the time, get another set of eyes on it and it should get sorted out in short order. I'm sure it's something stupid and simple.

No shame in getting another set of hands and eyes on the problem. The other day I looked for a tool for 15 minutes, my wife found it in all of 10 seconds... you did make sure the timing disc was on the shaft when you replaced the crank bolt right? (Don't judge, I had two extra bolts and an oil leak when I started up the first time - I still have one extra bolt....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz