EyeInTheSky's Gen 3 Budget Build Thread

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Just got on the shuttle to the airport, so any repairs in the next few weeks will be done by my wife. She's going to replace the idler pulley when it arrives. I hope it's that pulley and not the tensioner.

Not sure of she will be able to do the 02 sensor herself, but im going to walk her through some troubleshooting steps.

Also need to replace the negative battery terminal. The cheap one I got at Napa broke, so that will be a priority. I don't have a hydraulic crimper so I might see if my mechanic will toss the new terminal on for cheap. I'll keep an eye out for the screw type terminals as well.

It was nice getting to drive it for a couple days, it will make my homecoming that much better.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming. I'm home, and the quest continues.

I isolated the issue; it turns out that the tensioner is causing all the noise. It sounds like a skateboard wheel when spun by hand. OEM is extremely expensive ($150 from Cherry Hill), so I'm looking into used or aftermarket. Even Autozone/Oreilly's etc want $100+ for it.

Stopped by a local pick and pull today, but of course, no Gen 3 to be found. There was a two door Gen 1 if anyone is interested (PM me for location). Someone had pulled the diff but left it laying there. Looked to be in good shape. Not much in the interior, but the engine was present and the body looked OK.

Waiting to hear back from an Ebay seller regarding a used one for sale. Still need to figure out the 02 sensor, and to add to things, the antenna that I bent while out wheeling finally broke off completely. It never ends.

arb098

Adventurer
Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming. I'm home, and the quest continues.

I isolated the issue; it turns out that the tensioner is causing all the noise. It sounds like a skateboard wheel when spun by hand. OEM is extremely expensive ($150 from Cherry Hill), so I'm looking into used or aftermarket. Even Autozone/Oreilly's etc want $100+ for it.

Stopped by a local pick and pull today, but of course, no Gen 3 to be found. There was a two door Gen 1 if anyone is interested (PM me for location). Someone had pulled the diff but left it laying there. Looked to be in good shape. Not much in the interior, but the engine was present and the body looked OK.

Waiting to hear back from an Ebay seller regarding a used one for sale. Still need to figure out the 02 sensor, and to add to things, the antenna that I bent while out wheeling finally broke off completely. It never ends.

Try rockauto.com for that tensioner.

Just checked on rockauto. Looks like they're like $75+.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Try rockauto.com for that tensioner.

Just checked on rockauto. Looks like they're like $75+.

Oh yeah, I'm a Rock Auto expert now. I'm amazed I hadn't heard of them until sometime last year.

I ordered an aftermarket tensioner from Amazon so we'll see how that goes. Thankfully they have a great return policy if it sucks.

I'm looking into my 02 sensor issue now and am faced with the same age-old quandary: OEM vs Aftermarket.

I know I need to replace in pairs, so both left bank (up and down stream) need to go.

I can get both Denso sensors for $68.66+tax from Amazon (slightly more on RA with shipping, thanks Prime).
BUT
I can get two cheapie aftermarkets from Fleabay for $26.98 out the door.

My research has a lot of enthusiasts saying "Denso or Bust!" But at this price, I can buy two sets of aftermarket with money left over for the price of one set of Denso, and the ones on Fleabay even have connectors already (not the "universal" kind). Is it really THAT serious?

For all four it would be $148.81 (Denso, Amazon), and $54.96 (Unknown, Ebay). Amazon also has a four pack by Kwiksen for $92.99. Never heard of this brand but mostly good reviews around Amazon (checked different applications, only one review for the four pack I'm looking at).

I know to "do it right" I need to go Denso/NGK, but is it really worth the 3X cost difference?

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Fun times... :-/ I've been staring at the check engine light for a while waiting for my 02 sensors to arrive. I started the process this morning and should finish up tomorrow morning. I noticed it was idling rough today, and when I pulled codes, I had the persistent P0155 from the 02 sensor, but under pending I had a P0300. Let's hope that replacing the sensors fixes both.

On another note, I ordered LED bulbs for the interior... Wow. Seriously the best $6 I've spent on the Montero. What a change. It may just be that the light color is white instead of the orange hue of incandescent so they look brighter but aren't actually brighter, but I'm OK with that too, since it FEELS like I got my money's worth.

For some reason I had a heck of a time researching what kind of bulbs I needed, so for those of you interested in this, the Gen3 Montero needs T10 wedge bulbs for the front cluster and 28mm festoon bulbs for the rest. Seven festoon and three wedge, though I ended up with two ten-packs for a grand total of $5.98.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Do you mind throwing up links/sources for you LED's? It's on my list but similar to you I saw the research requirements and it meant it kept getting pushed off...

The Viper

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered these of ebay.
Just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to remove the front cluster? On my old gen 2 it was pretty easy

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered these of ebay.
Just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to remove the front cluster? On my old gen 2 it was pretty easy
Ooooohhh I might have caused some confusion. I referred to the maplights and door-operated overhead as a cluster... sorry. If that's what you're talking about, super easy! No idea on the instrument panel, that's a job for another day.

The Viper

Adventurer
Yeah I think I was confused, I thought you were also talking about the cluster indicator lights (4wheel indicator and etc). Those would be awesome in led.

I see what ur talking about now, thanks for clearing it up.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
New Ebay oxygen sensors seem to be working. One was defective so I put the old one back in while working through the exchange process, but other than that they're fine, especially for under $60 for all four.

I'm running a bit rich (+10% or so) until it gets up to temp, then it leans out to 0% +/- 5. See screenshot from Torque.
afc0be1bdb1247a63948c6cb75f017d4.jpg

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I just plasti-dipped my front OEM skid plate to see if I'll like the color when I paint the whole Montero with bedliner. I'll take a pic tomorrow with it installed.

What do you guys think? Was planning to do the skid plate, front and rear tow hooks, and Mitsubishi emblem in grill in red. Any other ideas?
37de978a7a26f2defe94ad5633518f20.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman