EyeInTheSky's Gen 3 Budget Build Thread

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Oh god. I hurt. All over. I've been under, over, and inside my Montero all weekend. Definitely not done, but not too far away.

Engine is in, starter installed, moved up all the way to the fuel rail/injectors. I've been short on some gaskets, but RTV is my friend.

Weird/stupid question Google couldn't answer, and I need some help. On the opposite side from the starter (driver's side), there's a large hole where I can see the flywheel (lower bellhousing). ****** goes there?? I have forgotten, and am embarrassed that I don't know. Is there a part the shop forgot to give me?

Should be done this week, updates when I get this finished.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
So many issues trying to post on here. Need some help on finding the spacer for my idler pulley. MD309036 shows on OEM websites, ASA/Dealer disagree. Also can't find the flex plate cover still. Ugh.

MoabRefugee

Observer
I was just in mine 2 weeks ago, and I have all of my takeoff parts handy. Happy to snap a pick and or assist as best I can.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I was just in mine 2 weeks ago, and I have all of my takeoff parts handy. Happy to snap a pick and or assist as best I can.
Would you be able to check the spacer behind the driver's side idler pulley for a part number? Also would love a photo of the driver's side bellhousing from the front so I can figure out what needs to go there to cover my flex plate.

Thank you for your help! I can't wait to get her back on the road.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Would you be able to check the spacer behind the driver's side idler pulley for a part number? Also would love a photo of the driver's side bellhousing from the front so I can figure out what needs to go there to cover my flex plate.

Thank you for your help! I can't wait to get her back on the road.

I figured out the spacer! Silly me (and my shop), it's the power steering pump bracket! One mystery solved, one to go.

MoabRefugee

Observer
Glad that you got it sorted. Stoked for you, and way to see "it" through to a running vehicle!

I know that I am enjoying the Monty so much more, not just the change in performance, but because I KNOW everything has been done properly. I respect the mechanic profession enormously, as wrenching for a living is vastly different than being a hobbyist, and not an easy way to make a living. That said, really good wrenches are few and far between imo. In my case, even knowing some sharp, ethical mechanics here in Moab, I am unable to afford their services.

Kudos for "ain't skeered'ing" an engine removal/install.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Glad that you got it sorted. Stoked for you, and way to see "it" through to a running vehicle!

I know that I am enjoying the Monty so much more, not just the change in performance, but because I KNOW everything has been done properly. I respect the mechanic profession enormously, as wrenching for a living is vastly different than being a hobbyist, and not an easy way to make a living. That said, really good wrenches are few and far between imo. In my case, even knowing some sharp, ethical mechanics here in Moab, I am unable to afford their services.

Kudos for "ain't skeered'ing" an engine removal/install.
Haha, thanks. I'm happy with the money I'm saving, but I'm not as confident in my skills. I'm trying to go slowly and methodically, but I'm worried I'm going to forget something/break something etc.

Got quite a bit done today, even with some setbacks (don't install the power steering pump and ac pump brackets before you install the main drive belt plate). Timing looks good, crankshaft pulley bolt installed (bent my homemade 1/4in steel pulley holder tool in the process), drive belt plate, timing covers, ac/ps pumps, thermostat and housing, exhaust, random grounds. Need to pull the EGR pipe off (heat shield has to go first...oops), finish up some water connections, intake, wiring harness, the rest of the drive pulleys and serp belt, and I should be good. Looking to fire it up tomorrow morning after a few sanity checks.

Found the flex plate cover.

As she sits right now.
bc2c85312ab767dc140329acdf2178d2.jpg
edf3cea64d10ed48d5473683f390681b.jpg

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Can anyone help me ID these brackets?

Also modified the driver's side exhaust manifold heat shield. The EGR pipe and I have a terrible relationship, so rather than busting my knuckles trying to remove and reinstall it, I fixed the heat shield.
1344450c75040e6cdaed6bf9aee5a061.jpg
c2f2b6524882f4b3a7586e306c57dc2a.jpg

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Make sure you route the wiring harness correctly around the EGR pipe......if it's in the wrong spot it will melt. I made this mistake....the harness will sit nicely in the wrong spot. Luckily I caught mine by chance before it melted through. This is the harness that carries the heavy positive down to the starter.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Make sure you route the wiring harness correctly around the EGR pipe......if it's in the wrong spot it will melt. I made this mistake....the harness will sit nicely in the wrong spot. Luckily I caught mine by chance before it melted through. This is the harness that carries the heavy positive down to the starter.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that after work tonight.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I'm not sure on the other two, but the one on the far right is a wiring harness bracket, it has the triangular cut out for the little clip. I believe the other two are in the region of temperature sensors but not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94