LTT-FLATDECK trailer build (M1103). *New* AT Habitat addition.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
How you liking it? You're posting up that you're using it, but what are your impressions and use of it?

hudsimtn

Observer
Its been great. goes anywhere the truck goes. I drive it pretty hard, and it cruises behind the truck at 110km/hr on gravel roads no problem and can then follow behind up anything. Cruises nice on the highway too, which I was surprised. 120km/hr and no sway. Turns on a dime if we get to a spot that ends and have to turn around. But does turn fast which I unfortunately found out this last trip and crushed my bumper.
Still working on what attachments need to be beefed up. One of awning racks broke this trip but was fixable on the trail and a cheap fix, but last time the tent rack snapped off which was a bit harder of a trail fix. Love the trailer tho. Everything is aluminum so its pretty light for how tough it is. Have a few more things to do to it, like a cooler slide and a cover of some sort of the load to keep the dust out. Tonnes of clearance and can haul a lot of weight.
Been happy with the tent, lots of room and comfortable; finally used the annex this past trip which was easier to set up than I thought and adds loads of space. Great for cold weather, every night dropped to well below freezing. Great for trips with buddies as well as for the family. Hope to do some winter camping with it this season to do some backcountry skiing.
One thing I find is the bikes get bounced around a lot if I have the rack on the rear, probably due to the heavy sprung axle. If I deflate the tires enough I can help offset that a bit. There has been some trial and error for what gets bounced around back there. Things definitely find a way of break or banging around in a trailer as opposed to the rear of the truck.
Every trip gives a new idea for what else can be added or modified.

Last edited:

JPShooter

Adventurer
Do you feel that the trailer is a bit too wide?

I ask because I have an M1101, which is the same trailer with a box on it, same exact width.

Your rig looks more "svelte" than mine, but the same width of course. I know its the because of the box on yours being inside the wheel wells, as mine goes to the edge of the wheels. I'm asking because I haven't been able to really get mine out yet where I'm really working narrow roads, due to family things, but looking at my rig sometimes I just have this "wow, that's wide" feeling.

When I look at trailers like the Schutt Xventure, they look narrow as well, but the M1101 is only 10.5 inches wider (as is the LTT) than the Xventure.

Just curious.

hudsimtn

Observer
I don't find it too wide, but I drive a tundra, so they are basically the same width and same track. If I still had my Tacoma I would have gone with some narrower for sure. I did want the flat deck for the reason you said that the m1101 appears wider because of the walls, but I think towing behind that size of vehicle you would get used to it. the m1101 definitely has more storage space, I just probably wouldn't mount any exterior storage on the sides. I haven't found any trails that have been too tight (unless they are too tight for the truck). With the trailers being so short they tend to track right behind on the trail without any issue.

WyoOtto

Nice work! I really like the simplicity of this platform - I'm working on an M416 and all of the modifications have become a little overwhelming. On a different note, can I ask your impressions of the tent? That is the same tent I'm looking at getting and I'm curious about pros and cons from someone who's used it. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and great build!

JPShooter

Adventurer
I don't find it too wide, but I drive a tundra, so they are basically the same width and same track. If I still had my Tacoma I would have gone with some narrower for sure. I did want the flat deck for the reason you said that the m1101 appears wider because of the walls, but I think towing behind that size of vehicle you would get used to it. the m1101 definitely has more storage space, I just probably wouldn't mount any exterior storage on the sides. I haven't found any trails that have been too tight (unless they are too tight for the truck). With the trailers being so short they tend to track right behind on the trail without any issue.

I pull mine with a Tundra as well ('08), and agree with you regarding the width regarding the tow vehicle.

Some one else had mentioned that it's nice to be able to see the trailer in your rearview mirror. The trailer is narrower than the truck considering the width of the truck with mirrors included, but of course is slightly wider than the body of the truck itself.

It's really just a visual thing with the M1101 with the box being the exact size of the frame, but as you stated it sure maximizes the carrying capacity!

JPShooter

Adventurer
Nice work! I really like the simplicity of this platform - I'm working on an M416 and all of the modifications have become a little overwhelming. On a different note, can I ask your impressions of the tent? That is the same tent I'm looking at getting and I'm curious about pros and cons from someone who's used it. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and great build!

I'll chime in here since I also have the same tent basically. I got the summit series in tan just after acquiring my trailer (M1101).

We've only slept in the tent once, but I've opened and closed it a number of times for various reasons.

I'm very impressed with the overall quality (fit and finish and materials) of the tent. I have no doubt that if I do my part (store it dry) that the tent will be serviceable for likely longer than I will be able to use it (I'm 57). The summit series has the diamond plate flooring and heavier fabric, so it's certainly a more durable version than the non-summit version. I was not worried about the weight increase as I put it on a trailer with more than ample payload capacity, but if i were mounting it on top of a less than full size heavy duty truck I might have taken the weight increase into consideration.

We are a family of three and it's more than enough sleeping space up top, and the annex is very roomy as well. A poster here (Cult Hero) who has youtube videos under "Merricks Garage" has the same tent and sleeps a lot of people up and down at times. You might want to check his channel on youtube.

If you are still not dead set on an RTT and perhaps considering a teardrop build for your trailer, well, that's a whole new bunch of considerations as to the pro's and con's of each setup.

hudsimtn

Observer
I pull mine with a Tundra as well ('08), and agree with you regarding the width regarding the tow vehicle.

Some one else had mentioned that it's nice to be able to see the trailer in your rearview mirror. The trailer is narrower than the truck considering the width of the truck with mirrors included, but of course is slightly wider than the body of the truck itself.

It's really just a visual thing with the M1101 with the box being the exact size of the frame, but as you stated it sure maximizes the carrying capacity!

Ya Definitely good to be able to see it in the mirrors. Some of the tight roads on steep sides I've had to back down you need to be able to see it. What have you done to the trailer so far?

hudsimtn

Observer
I'll chime in here since I also have the same tent basically. I got the summit series in tan just after acquiring my trailer (M1101).

We've only slept in the tent once, but I've opened and closed it a number of times for various reasons.

I'm very impressed with the overall quality (fit and finish and materials) of the tent. I have no doubt that if I do my part (store it dry) that the tent will be serviceable for likely longer than I will be able to use it (I'm 57). The summit series has the diamond plate flooring and heavier fabric, so it's certainly a more durable version than the non-summit version. I was not worried about the weight increase as I put it on a trailer with more than ample payload capacity, but if i were mounting it on top of a less than full size heavy duty truck I might have taken the weight increase into consideration.

We are a family of three and it's more than enough sleeping space up top, and the annex is very roomy as well. A poster here (Cult Hero) who has youtube videos under "Merricks Garage" has the same tent and sleeps a lot of people up and down at times. You might want to check his channel on youtube.

If you are still not dead set on an RTT and perhaps considering a teardrop build for your trailer, well, that's a whole new bunch of considerations as to the pro's and con's of each setup.

I agree with JPSHOOTER. The quality of these tents are awesome. I went with the mt mckinley because I have a family of 4 and need the room and I think it's the biggest any company makes. I used the annex for the first time on my last trip and like the tent even more that before, could sleep another 4 people below or stow gear or just hang out in a warm dry place. The summit series came out after I had my tent for a year otherwise would have gone that route for the reasons above. My flooring is fine but the more trips I do I can see needing to replace it with the checker plated aluminum eventually. I added the anticondisation mat that the summit comes with as well which is a must and was able to order the new support poles for the area over the ladder which helps with rain sliding off better.
I've used the tent probably 30 plus times now and been happy with it. Set up is fast, which is nice in pouring rain or wrangling my two young kids.
As JPSHOOTER said they are heavy, especially the mckinley due to its size. Cvt is a great company, they have great customer service.
One thing I found that helped with comfort tho is I added those foam interlocking mats for playrooms and velcro taped them under the mattress.
My kids are pretty hard on things and this tent has been great. I've used it in 30+ degrees and in -10 degrees, heavy rains, sun and some snow, comfortable in all conditions. Hopefully that helps a bit.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I went with the mt mckinley because I have a family of 4 and need the room and I think it's the biggest any company makes.

This model is now the Mt. Denali (just a name change).

If my memory serves me correctly this model is 15" wider than the largest tent from any other maker. If you are a wanting max space then this is as big as it gets as far as I know.

We also got a 1.5 inch thick west coast king size memory foam topper and put that on top of the factory mattress, makes a big difference in comfort. Although the topper is smaller in dimensions the the tent itself, since the topper is only 1.5 inches thick, and since you don't sleep right up against the edge of the inside of the tent it's not an issue, plenty big.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Ya Definitely good to be able to see it in the mirrors. Some of the tight roads on steep sides I've had to back down you need to be able to see it. What have you done to the trailer so far?

Here's my not up to date build thread (too busy with the building and not with the updating).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/161611-My-M1101-Project?highlight=m1101

I intend to do a video of the rig, which is almost as complete as I intend to make it currently.

I have converted the brakes to electric over hydraulic, and added lights all around as well.

I am still contemplating the tires, whether to sell them and get smaller (3) or to keep them and just get one smaller as a spare. I would be willing to bet that I will never need the spare. These stock tires are quite stout and the rig (even if you grossed it out) doesn't weigh that much. I just can't see tearing up a tire on this thing, but who knows?

There is of course the weight savings by dumping the stock tires as you noted, but I'm not sure it's that big a deal for me.

The realistic max trailer weight for the Tundra (they say 10,300 lbs, but that's marketing hype) is about 8,500 lbs, so even maxing this trailer out is less than half what the truck can tow. So saving a few hundred pounds vs. the cost is what I'm juggling with.

There's a discussion in my build thread of whether the run flat tires are a suitable alternative to a spare, and there's some good points made there, HOWEVER......

I saw a post somewhere from a guy who bought an M1101 in auction and drove it some distance (I recall was a hundred miles or so?) to get home and once there realized that the tires were both at zero PSI. Might have been bogus, I don't know.

Last edited:

WyoOtto

Thank you all for the input on the tent!! I am pretty sold on the Denali summit series model and reading your collective testimony locks it in. Thank you all again for the replies.

hudsimtn

Observer
This model is now the Mt. Denali (just a name change).

If my memory serves me correctly this model is 15" wider than the largest tent from any other maker. If you are a wanting max space then this is as big as it gets as far as I know.

We also got a 1.5 inch thick west coast king size memory foam topper and put that on top of the factory mattress, makes a big difference in comfort. Although the topper is smaller in dimensions the the tent itself, since the topper is only 1.5 inches thick, and since you don't sleep right up against the edge of the inside of the tent it's not an issue, plenty big.

Ah yes. That's right. Ya they are a great size. Good call on the memory foam. I may have to try that.

hudsimtn

Observer
Here's my not up to date build thread (too busy with the building and not with the updating).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/161611-My-M1101-Project?highlight=m1101

I intend to do a video of the rig, which is almost as complete as I intend to make it currently.

I have converted the brakes to electric over hydraulic, and added lights all around as well.

I am still contemplating the tires, whether to sell them and get smaller (3) or to keep them and just get one smaller as a spare. I would be willing to bet that I will never need the spare. These stock tires are quite stout and the rig (even if you grossed it out) doesn't weigh that much. I just can't see tearing up a tire on this thing, but who knows?

There is of course the weight savings by dumping the stock tires as you noted, but I'm not sure it's that big a deal for me.

The realistic max trailer weight for the Tundra (they say 10,300 lbs, but that's marketing hype) is about 8,500 lbs, so even maxing this trailer out is less than half what the truck can tow. So saving a few hundred pounds vs. the cost is what I'm juggling with.

There's a discussion in my build thread of whether the run flat tires are a suitable alternative to a spare, and there's some good points made there, HOWEVER......

I saw a post somewhere from a guy who bought an M1101 in auction and drove it some distance (I recall was a hundred miles or so?) to get home and once there realized that the tires were both at zero PSI. Might have been bogus, I don't know.

Awesome looking build. Rack looks great. I may take your advice and add another lateral brace. Ya I sold my hummer wheels due to weight. I may mount a spare on eventually. The 37s did ride pretty nice in the bush tho.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Awesome looking build. Rack looks great. I may take your advice and add another lateral brace. Ya I sold my hummer wheels due to weight. I may mount a spare on eventually. The 37s did ride pretty nice in the bush tho.

Can I ask what you were able to get for the original tires and rims? Mine have about 100 miles on them, still have a lot of the "whiskers".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles