LX470 advice?

I've been driving my 2001 Tundra for 7 months now, and I absolutely love it. With the exception of it being 2WD... It has 224,--- miles on the 2uz-fe. My best friend is a Toyota mechanic and tells me I have a slow leak on the rear main seals, but it isn't a problem. The truck doesn't burn any oil and is exceptionally reliable.

Today I came across a 2001 LX470 for which the guy is asking right at $5900. There are a few cosmetic issues that don't bother me at all, as well as a single engine issue. The owner told me he thought the LX was overheating, and what I found is that there's a small T-shaped fitting on the coolant system that's either busted or missing(Here's a link to a guy replacing said part: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-replacing-heater-hose-pipe-ts-important.610334/ ). The LX has 212,--- miles and after inspecting the areas my friend advised me to inspect, I found there are no oil leaks.

I can justify buying the LX, but only if I sell the Tundra. I love having 4WD(I own a Disco 2, reliability be damned!), and I've been pretty stuck in sand and 100+ degree heat in the Tundra before whilst camping. Not fun. I don't often pull a heavy load, just some round hay bales for my girlfriend's horse on occasion. In the long term, which would be a better vehicle to own?

Thanks for any and all advice/thoughts/complaints!

-Richard

MrWesson

Adventurer
Buy the LX, fix it and if you don't like it sell it for a profit.

Thats a great price IMO and i'd buy it if you didn't just to play with it a few times off road, clean it up and flip it.

Ok, so I've had a better opportunity to take stock of all the attributes/snags/cosmetics of the LX. Here's a list, and I won't say it's comprehensive, but it paints a decent picture.
Good:
-Switches and buttons all seem to work without hiccup.
-Height Control functions normally
-Hi/Low range lever engages smoothly
-No rust to speak of
-Engine starts/runs/idles well(to be expected of the 2uz-fe)
Bad(sort of?)
-'T' fitting needs replaced
-One fog light bulb needs replaced
-One dome light bulb needs replaced(middle row)
-Hole in front seat
-Some missing headrests in back and middle seats(I rarely have more than a single passenger)
-Squeak on left rear wheel area. Doesn't sound rotary, so I doubt it's a bearing. Sounds like the coil spring.
-Left rear window doesn't roll up or down, but the motor runs. Probably slipped off the track.

None of these are deal breakers, and I'm fine with fixing things. Now I just gotta convince my girl that it's a good plan! :)

eefeaee839e099ad51b54c6b20252ab5.jpg

aa40cd77f46eb2fdd8e7d041b404b244.jpg

5fa191796a27d9de115ebd7e0fb3f26c.jpg

5227bee7fd31e38bab7aa48c54bcd9b8.jpg

8b48fd1fef934bd863e00096f5e0c013.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MrWesson

Adventurer
Ok, so I've had a better opportunity to take stock of all the attributes/snags/cosmetics of the LX. Here's a list, and I won't say it's comprehensive, but it paints a decent picture.
Good:
-Switches and buttons all seem to work without hiccup.
-Height Control functions normally
-Hi/Low range lever engages smoothly
-No rust to speak of
-Engine starts/runs/idles well(to be expected of the 2uz-fe)
Bad(sort of?)
-'T' fitting needs replaced
-One fog light bulb needs replaced
-One dome light bulb needs replaced(middle row)
-Hole in front seat
-Some missing headrests in back and middle seats(I rarely have more than a single passenger)
-Squeak on left rear wheel area. Doesn't sound rotary, so I doubt it's a bearing. Sounds like the coil spring.
-Left rear window doesn't roll up or down, but the motor runs. Probably slipped off the track.

None of these are deal breakers, and I'm fine with fixing things. Now I just gotta convince my girl that it's a good plan! :)

If she says no then dibs :sombrero:

JoshN

Observer
The t fitting issue is a common one and should be changed Everytime you do the timing belt, or replaced the plastic with a brass t and do t worry about it. Takes about 15 minutes. If if the plastic one fails though it can be catastrophic. Is why the brass t refit is so popular. If there is rust it will be under the plastic body moldings near the wheel wells hard to detect without pulling it off. Nothing you mention is worth a worry except general maintenance history. A cruiser with over 200k is not and issue. A cruiser with over 200k poorly maintained is. What does your gut tell you? Well maintained?

The t fitting issue is a common one and should be changed Everytime you do the timing belt, or replaced the plastic with a brass t and do t worry about it. Takes about 15 minutes. If if the plastic one fails though it can be catastrophic. Is why the brass t refit is so popular. If there is rust it will be under the plastic body moldings near the wheel wells hard to detect without pulling it off. Nothing you mention is worth a worry except general maintenance history. A cruiser with over 200k is not and issue. A cruiser with over 200k poorly maintained is. What does your gut tell you? Well maintained?
Yeah I got Brand new T fittings and keep spares now. I went with my gut and got it at the start of October. Since, I've put 5k miles on the old girl and I love her.

I kinda went through a trial fixing her though. I replaced the T's, still tried to overheat. Replaced the Tstat, still tried. Bought a water pump kit, disassembled everything, noticed the timing belt looked brand new and the pump too. I then saw that the newly replaced radiator (~30 miles before I bought it) had a dust cap over one of the ports, blocking flow. I reassembled it all and she's been fine since.
f46bf7203b9ef7870bface219f93e08b.jpg

Until today, when I noticed a coolant leak.... looks like a busted heater core. I'm bypassing it for now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dragos28

Adventurer
how many miles on your lx and how is she holding up?
i'm in the market for a high mileage lx or lc as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94