And yet another off road-ish camper build has begun.

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Second coats on. And it started raining halfway through.... so much for living in the desert...

Third coat? Yes or no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Are you glassing?

Paint? Coating?

Looks great BTW :ylsmoke:

Epoxy, then Interlux Epoxy Primecoat (2-3) then interlux two part polyurethane "Perfection" paint (2-3 coats).

No glassing. Structure is plenty strong. Epoxy coating sealed everything up real good.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks like you are using baltic birch? If so, you should be okay without the glass.
Cheaper ply and you need the glass to prevent checking, regardless of how well the epoxy seams to seal things up.

Two coats of epoxy is plenty for the baltic birch, as the seal coat already starts to build a bit.
A third coat without glass depending upon how thick you are putting it on, can actually become brittle.

How are you laying it on? Brush, roller, squeegee?

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Looks like you are using baltic birch? If so, you should be okay without the glass.
Cheaper ply and you need the glass to prevent checking, regardless of how well the epoxy seams to seal things up.

Two coats of epoxy is plenty for the baltic birch, as the seal coat already starts to build a bit.
A third coat without glass depending upon how thick you are putting it on, can actually become brittle.

How are you laying it on? Brush, roller, squeegee?

1/4" baltic birch inside and out over a 3/4" thick finger joint poplar framework.

We rolled it on using West 800 1/8" nap foam resin rollers, followed by a light tip off to knock down the stipple with pieces of the same type roller as detailed in the West System manual. Worked real well. But, In hindsight, I think tipping it off with a wide Bondo squeegee might have made for a smoother, easier to sand, finish. But oh well.

It got two coats, and we called it good. I am going to wet sand it down with 180 grit to smooth it out. If I think it could use another coat after that, we will, if not, we will go right to 2 or 3 coats of the Interlux Epoxy Primecoat.

Once that is sanded out to 320 wet, it will get multiple coats of sprayed Interlux Perfection, a two part linear polyurethane.

We are going to do the nose and top in "Platinum" and the sides and rear in "Royal Blue".

Bottom two feet of the nose and bottom foot or so of the sides is getting rolled on medium gray Monstaliner bed liner.

Thats the plan anyway.

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Got the paint and reducer from West Marine Wednesday, but the primer was backordered and will be a week late. Sigh... oh well, I guess Ill work on other stuff then.

So, got the stargazer window and fenders in Wednesday night as well, so Input the tires back on it and the plan is to get those fenders fitted today. Got the radiuses sanded out for the window to fit yesterday (mine were not the right radius, but too much material is better then not enough!)

Hopefully, the 1st of March after the POS VW goes back to the stealership, WestMarine will have my primer, so I can get get the primer sprayed before I go on my three day trip for work. Then, when I get home I can sand it out and shoot the color coats. Still hoping for completion round end of March.

I am not 100% happy with the fenders. I got them from vintage trailer parts, and they are really nice, but not quite what I am looking for for this trailer. So, the plan is, IF frank says I can open them up a bit (I need an inch more on each side, wider) They will work great for now, and I may fab up something a bit beefier down the road. Maybe this fall Ill weld up something heavier duty with jerry can racks on them or summin...

1723beb5c2f5fd3ed2d7219b14ad3857.jpg

d42733f80241e00bef810aad7a2427fd.jpg

e0769575328f746b5025d96c3c173c30.jpg

485c338a77f097beb7e8f40bbf92ed93.jpg

03ed5af865c5b3645a84f4c2f5768e95.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im with you on the fenders.

Visually they just dont work.

Opening them up will help.

Also, how are you planning on fastening them? To the frame, to the camper body, or both?

azscotts

Observer
Have you given thought to installing something behind them between the cabin and the fender?

That way you're not trying to form metal on the fly and you could center the fender up on the tire.

Just my .02

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Have you given thought to installing something behind them between the cabin and the fender?

That way you're not trying to form metal on the fly and you could center the fender up on the tire.

Just my .02

They are getting a 2x2 wood frame behind them.

They are 100% temporary. Get it inspected and registered, then over time I will manufacture my own, my nicer set.

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Im with you on the fenders.

Visually they just dont work.

Opening them up will help.

Also, how are you planning on fastening them? To the frame, to the camper body, or both?

I embedded 1/4-20 blind nuts inside the wall before I skinned the interior, based on measurements obtained by Vintage trailer parts for this model fender.

Also, it will get long bolts through the fender, the 2x2 mount frame, and through the metal trailer chassis.

I am not going to open the fenders up. I tried and in spite of them feeling flimsy, they are not flimsy in that direction.

It is not that big of a deal to me. I plan on a set of nice square tube framed fenders skinned with either diamond plate or flat steel, welded and either powder coated or bed liner coated.

This will also allow jerry can mounts on either side, and a quazi entry step near the door.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I embedded 1/4-20 blind nuts inside the wall before I skinned the interior, based on measurements obtained by Vintage trailer parts for this model fender.

Also, it will get long bolts through the fender, the 2x2 mount frame, and through the metal trailer chassis.

I am not going to open the fenders up. I tried and in spite of them feeling flimsy, they are not flimsy in that direction.

It is not that big of a deal to me. I plan on a set of nice square tube framed fenders skinned with either diamond plate or flat steel, welded and either powder coated or bed liner coated.

This will also allow jerry can mounts on either side, and a quazi entry step near the door.

Neal, build is looking good! Been thinking about building something myself with the help of a good friend. Say, what model King Air are you flying? Enjoying your build thread!

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Neal, build is looking good! Been thinking about building something myself with the help of a good friend. Say, what model King Air are you flying? Enjoying your build thread!

Between flying sky divers in Florida and air ambulance/medevac here in Las Vegas, and a bit of contract work here and there, Ive flown stock A-90s, B-90s, A/B-90s (B wing, A tail), Taurus A&B 90s (true 750hp at take off), A-100 with Garrett's, 200, B-200, and A-200(ex-military C-12C).

I LOVE any model of King Air, but the pay isnt what I wanted long term, so, I sold my soul and finally got a job flying the Airbus 320 family for Spirit Airlines. When I retire at 65, I hope to hop back in a King Air for five to ten more years.

The plan is after we get a house, I will buy a tubing kit from Javron and start welding my own fuselage for an experimental 100hp clipped wing J-3 Cub. Ive already restored a stock J-3 back in the day, and my heart aches for a Cub every day. ********

bigskypylot

Explorer
Between flying sky divers in Florida and air ambulance/medevac here in Las Vegas, and a bit of contract work here and there, Ive flown stock A-90s, B-90s, A/B-90s (B wing, A tail), Taurus A&B 90s (true 750hp at take off), A-100 with Garrett's, 200, B-200, and A-200(ex-military C-12C).

I LOVE any model of King Air, but the pay isnt what I wanted long term, so, I sold my soul and finally got a job flying the Airbus 320 family for Spirit Airlines. When I retire at 65, I hope to hop back in a King Air for five to ten more years.

The plan is after we get a house, I will buy a tubing kit from Javron and start welding my own fuselage for an experimental 100hp clipped wing J-3 Cub. Ive already restored a stock J-3 back in the day, and my heart aches for a Cub every day. ********

Nice. I've got somewhere around 3k in B190, my favorite t-prop to fly was the CV580. I'm a fractional guy on furlough at the moment. Have some friends at NK. I'm either getting recalled or headed to Medevac or other fractional stuff. Might look at going back to airline route here after I get back flying, who knows. I'd love to have a Husky or something along the lines of a J3

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke