Dont Call it a Build Thread

howirolla

Campfire Passport
So breaking into the motor to get the plugs and lifters done, as well as do the timing belt. I seem to have found a gasket I didn't order and doesn't seem to be mentioned in the parts list thread. And I can't seem to find it online either, maybe I'm not using the right name for it.
From between the top of the intake and the upper intake manifold
563747DE-8E29-4A20-AFA3-178F0AE35588_zpsqdd0rdp4.jpg

If someone can give me a part number asap that would be great, I am on a slight time constraint in getting this job done.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Bugger, editing this comment on my phone has deleted it twice. Anyways, on my gen three that same gasket surprised me, I never found it by itself but it's in the fel-pro intake manifold set (FEL MS95709). I found it at O'Reilly s for less than 20 bucks.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I'm lazy, I've never separated the upper intake, I just pull the whole thing as one unit, I even re-used the upper/lower intake gasket the last time, horrors! I also discovered I was making the intake removal and spark plug work more difficult than it needed to be. I saved this link for an easy step by step plug change. It's written for a Sport, so there are 1-2 steps that won't apply to us.
http://www.justanswer.com/mitsubishi/4t9po-mitsubishi-montero-sport-change-spark-plugs-2003.html

Reactions: lev

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Funny thing, I had that thought of, hmm I wonder if I could have gotten away with not separating this. it's a litttle late for that plan of action now though, and at least this way I can clean out the inside of it a bit.

That part number worked, my local O'Reilly had one in stock so I went and grabbed it last night. So thanks for that!

howirolla

Campfire Passport
got it all buttoned back up. still gotta do the t-belt, just plain ran outta time. BUT, lifters cleaned out, new plugs, and wires, and the new valve cover gaskets should solve the small oil leak I had.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
anyone ever have starting issues not related to the battery or starter when in single digit temps? was running fine last night when I got home. came out this morning to start it and it took quite a few try's to get it running, probably took me 10 min or so, once running though it seems fine. I got to work shut it off and it fired right back up no problem. It may just be usual stuff like frozen fuel line and that sort of thing, but was just curious if other people found this type of thing to be something else.

Last edited:

howirolla

Campfire Passport
sounds an awful lot like a weak battery losing juice in the cold

like I said, NOT a weak battery, cranked over fine with no signs of slowing the entire time. it would sputter a little, have a little cough, and then just not start. at first I thought it was a spark issue, but that wasn't it. pretty sure it was a fuel issue. which like I said could have just been frozen lines but I was curious if someone had run across something else.

Last edited:

howirolla

Campfire Passport
so interesting thing going on now that I am trying to figure out.
past few days the volt gauge has stayed down at 0 for a while after starting it up, and will stay down there till right about when the motor gets up to temp. then a belt which I assume is the alt belt, will squeal under certain throttle inputs and the gauge will begin to climb. then once the gauge is up to the normal 12-13 volts or what ever the belt squeal is totally gone again. at first I just thought it was the gauge cause nothing electrical seemed to be effected, this morning though when I hit the brakes (snowy conditions so I assume abs was kicking in) the battery light and trans light flashed a bit, I started shutting stuff off which seemed to make it go away, and then shortly after the belt gave me the squeal and the gauge started moving up again. I am getting very curious as to what the heck is goin on there.

RyanY

Adventurer
That sounds like a slipping alternator belt - check the tension. Did you replace the engine belts when you did the timing belt?

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Yes I did, and I have tightened the belt once since doing the timing belt (kind of a pain btw) cause it was squealing quite a bit. It went away for about 2 weeks then started doing this. Side note, the alternator is pretty new, it was replaced by the po and you can tell it wasn't very long ago, the thing looks brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles