My new build

MrSteve

step 1: Lift the trailer. I installed 3" lift blocks and longer shackles to get the height I wanted today
View attachment 369371
View attachment 369373
Looking at the length of your rear shackle and the tilt angle you now have I would suggest you shorten the rear and lengthen the front to get the same height. The way it looks now seems like it will twist or bend a lot easier.

P.S, i was born and raised in the ghetto and never saw many trailers built. Most were purchased used.
Good Luck on the build! :)

IMG_5076.jpg

Just got my Malone trailer rack put on so I can install my solar panel and awning when I get them. I had an unforeseen engine seizure in my food truck so priorities require money to be thrown in that direction for a while so it might be some time before my next update.... again with the *******ng sideways pictures!!! How do I make this stop???

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I think you will have a nice little trailer to work with. You will have a great overland rig once your done. Like the idea of putting the water tank there. But I also have some concerns with the way you have your leaf springs mounted. On my XJ the previous owner used longer shackles to add 2"s of lift to the leaf spring (with add a leaf) to obtain 4.5"s of lift. The first few times I needed to make a quick correction to avoid someone the rear end of my jeep got very squirrelly. I am used to it now and drive as carefully as I can, but some day when the funds are available I will buy 3.5" lift leaf springs and 1" lift shackles to correct the issue. I wonder if the trailer would act the same way? It would not be to hard to make mounts to raise up the frame instead of the long shackle. On my trailer build I feel the 31" tires should provided plenty of clearance for taking it off road.

I think you will have a nice little trailer to work with. You will have a great overland rig once your done. Like the idea of putting the water tank there. But I also have some concerns with the way you have your leaf springs mounted. On my XJ the previous owner used longer shackles to add 2"s of lift to the leaf spring (with add a leaf) to obtain 4.5"s of lift. The first few times I needed to make a quick correction to avoid someone the rear end of my jeep got very squirrelly. I am used to it now and drive as carefully as I can, but some day when the funds are available I will buy 3.5" lift leaf springs and 1" lift shackles to correct the issue. I wonder if the trailer would act the same way? It would not be to hard to make mounts to raise up the frame instead of the long shackle. On my trailer build I feel the 31" tires should provided plenty of clearance for taking it off road.

I actually lowered it to the lowest notch on those shackles since I took that picture and it seems to handle pretty well. We'll see how it goes after it's loaded down and make adjustments as needed.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Nice I think I have the same tool box that you have, I have similar plans to use it store my electrical. A friend of mine gave me two gel cell 12 volt batteries to use. They are a smaller size than yours.

Mine is a group 31 deep cycle I've had for a while and used for tent glamping. It's 120ah deep cycle, works amazing for light duty stuff!! I've ran lights and fans off of it for 8 days straight with only 56watts of solar power to charge it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94