"Q" Flight's RB E250 Quigley Build

cjken

Explorer
Looks sweet Alex.
I had a e250 q-van. But mine did not have 1 ton axles. Unfortunately it was pretty rusted out when I passed it along at 80k.

flightcancled

Explorer
Thanks Ken! This one definitely needs some love on the rockers and rear sill, but hopefully that will be the end of it.

762b7a0806ae92511effb9152b0de3cc.jpg

For the second time I found water inside. This time there was nothing to blame but this little thing on the roof. Patched for the moment. I'll have to have the body shop hit that too.
8b97dad499e76c2c0bd41de43e27ea6c.jpg

Floor has been deadened in the worst of spots and the mat is back in. Here's a horrendous night shot.
24af91fceb051111896cf24519527ea0.jpg

Planning on dropping in foam flooring above to further insulate and sound deaden once everything else is done. Learned my lesson the first time. That stuff doesn't do well in a work area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

flightcancled

Explorer
Q has been feeling a bit lonely recently. Without a roof rack she got left behind while I was off kayaking.

5ee1866d030c140723ab2f62c166b32c.jpg

Insulation on the roof and upper half of the walls went in tonight. Still not sure what my approach will be for the bottom half. I'm inclined towards fiberglass, but it seems like everyone has other suggestions.

44a9d20a10ce95e968115041cc60b407.jpg

2 boards for the entire roof and 3 window slots.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Great white water picture! But hey, no reason to leave her behind, pretty sure that little kayak would fit inside your van! :)

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

flightcancled

Explorer
That's what the UJOR roof rack will be for. Hopefully I can get a full length one from Chris. Package length limits are messing me up.

I'm just using 3/8 foam board with the foil facing out and vynel tape. It's been in the 50s the last two days and I've been overheating in the van while I work.

Not sure what I will do for the bottom half. Part of me wants to cut out the inner walls and do more foam board. Fiberglass bat insulation would trap a lot of moisture. Not something I worried about in the aluminum ambulance, but a problem with the steel van.

My phone isn't playing along with photos, but the headliner came out along with the roof mounted spotter light, and three more antenna mounts. I was racing the rain so I patched with flashing tape. I'm guessing my best bet for a permanent fix would be body filler.

I completely removed the ford wiring harness that runs along the ceiling corner and ran it inside the wall cavity. It requires unhooking the taillights and some bloody knuckles. While I was in there i also ran one power feed halfway down the side of the van, and another 2 all the way to the rear corner. Perhaps I should leave it open until I make a decision about a backup camera?

Pro tip- if you are stuck in the rain, or otherwise cant pull the third brake light off disassemble the rear door light completely and plug the wiring into the wiring harness as you pass through the rear roof corner. The connector for those lights won't reach all the way.

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
a916d4a5e0700b548bec2e7bac7c71af.jpg

No more unicorn light

0c035690da065965169c8d60badcfeb4.jpg

Cleaned up and prepped inside.

0aa1e73be049af5d6df1d9ca437a7e4f.jpg

Wiring is all hidden away

c1bc1f34eeb7adb4700dbf61f371c391.jpg

Power supply half way down

e8144fe6638e09d6c9ac19276610ddb5.jpg

Front is all buttoned up.

flightcancled

Explorer
You can drive yourself completely crazy reading about insulating these vans- I know I did. There seems to be a few camps clamoring that their (shockingly expensive) way is the best and anything else will cause moisture buildup and thus rust, or chemically attack the walls.

What I know first hand is that VW used fiberglass in their vans and after all these decades they are fine. Ambulance up fitter companies seem to be fine with it as well. Personally my 1992 ambulance was bone dry when I cracked the walls open with fiberglass batt insulation.

That said I chose to go with the rock wool stuff for the annoying bottom half of the walls and as temporary door insulation until I circle back to add storage. To give myself a little insurance I sprayed the insides of the walls and doors with a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating. I'll be checking inside along the way to monitor for moisture.

1947270a060f9ed62f41b78e962acf75.jpg

I must say the van looks so much cleaner with the inner walls blacked out. I will let things set over night and insulate tomorrow barring a better solution being offered.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Where was that yakin' picture taken? Looks soooooooo frothy and big, pooped myself looking at it :Wow1: We had such a weird season here, prayin for good snow pack for next year!! Van is looking good and with yours and mine parked together Broncos fans might swarm us for a tailgate party :)

flightcancled

Explorer
That is the Alpine Line of Crystal Rapid on the Moose in Lyons Falls NY at low water.

Ran out of tape twice tonight, but this is what the progress is looking like.

717dce1818b1770c88fa08b349ca99c1.jpg

I installed one of the led from this kit into the rear dome. These are going to be great! $20 at Walmart and exactly what I had in mind and wanted in a pinch for my interior lighting.

1d2541f7eeaf77ba1e1276d37c86ac2d.jpg

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Guys, regarding storing your paint products to stop air infiltration. If you carefully remove your lids, when you reinstall the lid, make sure it is on good and just store the can upside down. I do it all the time, no air can infiltrate.

flightcancled

Explorer
That's a solid suggestion.

7d7e01b85dfafa61dae30e8452b73365.jpg

It looks like a clown puked in here. Better close up the walls quick now that insulation is done!

Also you can see what a difference the LED lights are making. This is with 3 installed. I will probably put numbers 4 and 5 in over the bed on an independent switch. The last 3 will be installed to light things up under the bed so I can see my gear in the night.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wow, I may have to pick up some of those lights for the bed of my F250, mounted under the camper shell roof so the whole area is lit up.

flightcancled

Explorer
I can't imagine using all 8 in a truck bed as 2 would be totally adequate for an entire van. You'd need sunglasses. On the flip side these would be perfect to install inside ambulance lights.

Side note: any time you buy a "Try Me" style pack like this take a close look. Odds are that demo one is a free extra! 9 for the price of 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles