"Q" Flight's RB E250 Quigley Build

flightcancled

Explorer
Wall templates got done tonight. Not perfect, but good enough to get her on the road.

I used partial templates to figure out the rear top corners then the wheel wells. That let me pop out the passenger side.

74a28a7a2c1da8e385e55953957d495e.jpg

Now to flip that and you have the back half of the driver side. Add the bottom cut out for the fuel fill and you're pretty much home free.

3c63a762e42c9e7d56a7d5aa47e0a872.jpg

33449575769366b4c2fe542a5b914520.jpg

In all I used 12 of these boxes. Now I can simply trace onto my desired finish material and install the walls.

0e20bae0614885594a03f43783e0b06e.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I just want to know where you get all of that pretty blue and red tape? :coffeedrink:

flightcancled

Explorer
That's vynel tape or as we call it "contractor's tape." I always ask for a roll or two when I am at an abatement project and keep a steady stash. Apparently it is $8 wholesale and like 12 retail per roll. Comes in 2, 4, and I think even 6" wide. They order it by the pallet.

Walls went in. After a test fit a layer of Refletix was spray glued to the back of the panels. Suddenly it is very hot and quiet inside the van. I had to work with the side doors open.

af98c9af932b4a5d5c4208a2333f3527.jpg

b364f2c0e923189c9fc86c692c9be18e.jpg

And I blocked off where the bed would be. I'm going for a fixed C with back rest cushions that fill in the bed. I haven't seen it done before, but I seems like a good hybrid. I haul around a ton of gear in my truck, but I also need to be able to seat 5 or so for shuttling around the river.

d0a0ef1da520b3c2b804f925c2ee1d58.jpg

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
Also I have to say I wasted my time with the Rustoleum under coating. I should have gone right to bed liner or POR. It never cures to a nice hard finish like I would have expected (if it cures at all).

You can see I sprayed the wheel wells and bottoms of the walls before I left to have a cleaner look. Just installing the panels I tore it to hell.

I've already decided it is WAY too white for me inside. The passenger wall will be getting carpet. I managed to cut the board out with the back facing out anyway so I have to address that somehow. Especially since it flipped out of the truck and hit the highway on the way home...

patoz

Expedition Leader
That's vynel tape or as we call it "contractor's tape." I always ask for a roll or two when I am at an abatement project and keep a steady stash. Apparently it is $8 wholesale and like 12 retail per roll. Comes in 2, 4, and I think even 6" wide. They order it by the pallet.

I didn't find it on Amazon, but I'll keep looking around. I know the tape you used on the boxes of items you sent me was some tough stuff. I cut the cardboard box open but all of the bubble wrap inside did not want to separate from the tape at all. Most of that had to be cut open also.

I put the panel and all of that wiring back in the well made crate you built, and I'm using it to store everything until I get to that point. Thanks again for all your hard work on getting that stuff for me!

The van is looking good, BTW!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Got it, thanks! I put it on my watch list until I need some for a project or something.

flightcancled

Explorer
Here's a look at how the panels are insulated.
2706693b3b87f92db5fcc6e45429c6a2.jpg

I'm going for a soft ceiling. I know I'll be bumping my head regularly so I'm trying to stay away from using a board material. The problem is getting things to fit perfectly and not sag. Hopefully it doesn't eat up too much time.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Looks like you already figured it out, but for others following, undercoating is for exterior use only. It off-gasses forever and makes the inside of your van smell like hot tar asphalt. Made that mistake myself a while back.

flightcancled

Explorer
Yeah it is just junk to begin with. I'll be scrubbing it off and replacing it with something much tougher I guess.

Ceiling panels were all fitted, removed, and covered with carpet along with the passenger panel.

f69758336ddddd9ced12d293a0a9e4ab.jpg

573f70c614ac7c0ad563d419ea9022be.jpg

Has anyone thought about recession something like this into the doors for added storage? I'm planning to circle around and use that space.

deaffcefb17f17667a032aba772a386b.jpg

Also I saw something pretty sweet at Lowes today. Remember Grummin canoes? Apparently they made airplanes and vans too. This is a 1951 Grummin sitting on a 4x4 1977 Chevy truck. Locking front hubs and all.
157358e28c818eb4bec958c492babec1.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Uh Alex, I think Grumman Aircraft (aka Northrup Grumman) came first since it was founded in 1929.

The Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation, later Grumman Aerospace Corporation, was a leading 20th century U.S. producer of military and civilian aircraft. Founded on December 6, 1929, by Leroy Grumman and partners, its independent existence ended in 1994 when it was acquired by Northrop Corporation to form Northrop Grumman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman#Other_products

They also make Fire Trucks, the current US Mail delivery trucks, and the UPS step vans.

Just FYI... :coffeedrink:

flightcancled

Explorer
Hahaha I never put that together!! You'd think I of all people would know my paddle sports companies backwards and forwards.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hahaha I never put that together!! You'd think I of all people would know my paddle sports companies backwards and forwards.

Well, me being Federal Firefighter who worked on a Naval Air Station around military aircraft over half of my career, that was the first thing I thought of. However, I do remember going on a canoe trip many years ago, and the rental canoes were made by Grumman. I thought that was strange at the time.

flightcancled

Explorer
20b8cd5c4acaa3aef061a662e59030ef.jpg

04d4abf0a12a2f098154208ee9ba6c2c.jpg

337d71ae583ab69c5b29f249f9361ba6.jpg

Welp. I have to say I like how it turned out. The ceiling isn't as smooth and professional looking as I would like, but I'll be tweaking it.

I'll be making the C bed and installing the floor next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles