Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USMC M1030B1 Restoration

Default USMC M1030B1 Restoration

I just got a hold of two USMC M1030B1's. My buddy and I are going to restore them and then try and hit the Oregon Backroad Discovery route. I'll update this thread when the restoration begins.
    1.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

Got the bikes in today. They are both manufactured in June 1999 and the VIN states 2000 along with the USMC data plate. We started stripping them down. The plan is to sand blast and then powder coat the frame prior to painting everything in CARC tan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Updated Progress

Almost got it all the way down to the frame. We are working on the "parts bike" now. Originally two were purchased with one being a "parts bike". We plan on getting both up and running. I found out that the rear skid plate is missing on one but we can get a fab shop to copy the one on the "good bike".

Most of the bolts are rusted on so the last few have been tough. I still haven't gotten the handle bars or swing arm off yet. I'm letting PB Blaster soak in overnight. It looks like the rear shock was a progressive 500/560. I know the newer version had the F1 engineering shock. I also ordered the stainless steel screw kit from Desmoparts. I will be replacing a few parts on the bike. I'm also going to use RAPCO 686 Tan. It's spot on for CARC. For the frame, bars, forks, and swing arm I'll sand blast and powder coat prior to painting.

Dang, those tanks are huge.

What are those surplus bikes going for?
    Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 140k+ miles
    1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
    2016 Patriot (MaK - Her Jeep) Painfully stock
    1980 KE100 (Bessie) - 100cc of fury

They don't come up for sale often. The latest sales I've seen are $3,500 for a ok running bike or $5,500 for a fully restored one. You might get lucky and find one on Craigslist for cheap. Sometimes people don't know what they have.

Got it down to just the frame and swingarm. Everything was rusted on. It took some MacGyver skills to get the handle bars and triple trees off. Anyone have any tips to get the "dog bones" off the swingarm? I should have done it when the rearend was together. now it's much tougher to get any leverage on them. I'll have some free time later this week to hit it again. Then the frame is off to sand blast and powder coat. The other bike remains untouched but the frame appears to be recently CARC'd. My buddy is going to keep that one green and I'll go for tan.

Looking good so far. Please let us know how the Rapco paint goes on, I've read that they have a tendency to spit while spraying.

Subscribed...

Not sure about how to get the dog bones off, but I'm sure you'll manage.

Can't wait to see the next steps.
    2011 FJ NSSE | 2007 KTM 990 Adventure | 2002 XR400 (Plated) | 2000 KLR650 (Semi Retired)
    Spotwalla tip logs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast