USMC M1030B1 Restoration

Johnnny13

Observer
Thank you for the feedback, I'll be using the 383 Green (AKA NATO Green FS34094) on the trailer I'm building over the winter.

A buddy used that on his M1009 CUCV. Initially it was a brighter green then expected. After a month it seemed to settle in to the more traditional matte CARC looking green. Hopefully that makes sense.

Johnnny13

Observer
Helmet Time

While waiting on the multiple penetrating lube products to take effect on the pivot bolt I decided to paint my helmet. The original USMC helmet was a matte green Winex SR-X. They are a bit hard to find so I found a FOX V1 helmet on sale for $118 shipped. Unfortunately its neon green and blue. During the invasion most of the vehicles were green or woodland camo. The field expedient method was to just rattle can everything tan. I went ahead and used RAPCO 686 Tan. First I sanded down the original paint. Then I sprayed with RAPCO primer. Then a few coats of RAPCO tan. Finally I used a matte black to stencil on a few things.

ATTACH=CONFIG]371135[/ATTACH]IMG_4839.JPGIMG_4857.JPG

Attachments

• Winex.jpg
    Winex.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 56

Johnnny13

Observer
finished pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4863.JPG
    IMG_4863.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4911.JPG
    IMG_4911.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4913.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 56

Johnnny13

Observer
We are getting ready to get the engine together on the more complete bike this week.

Attachments

• IMG_4898.JPG
    IMG_4898.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4899.JPG
    IMG_4899.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 58

Johnnny13

Observer
Still haven’t had the time to try removing the pivot bolt. The next option is till the brass drift, handheld sledge, Kroil, and the air impact. If that doesn't work we will cut it out.

We also found 6 M1030B1’s being auctioned by a sheriff’s department. I believe they received them under the LE program from the military. We threw out a reasonable bid and won! Not sure if we are going to part them out, sell them or restore a few to sell. Now we just need to work on getting them to Oregon.

Attachments

• M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 99
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 98
  • M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 95

Johnnny13

Observer
I'm currently in Iraq so I won't be updating this as much. The builds are still going forward. My buddy will be taking care of it so I will be updating the builds and when the other 6 bikes arrive. More then likely we will rebuild a few of the six to sell, finish a complete restoration on our two, and sell the other ones off as projects. I don't want to part these out since they are hard to find.

Johnnny13

Observer
The bikes were delivered today. Once my buddy arrives I will get better pictures. I can see one of the UIC codes on the gas tank is for 1/6 Marines.IMG_4909.jpg
IMG_4910.jpg
IMG_4913.jpg
IMG_4914.jpg

Johnnny13

Observer
I'm finally leaving Iraq and heading home in April. The build will start again to include the 6 auction bikes as well. I plan on getting my bike and at least one auction bike finished in a month. I'll post the updates here as I go. It's going to be a good amount of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste