"Adventurizing" a Yamaha Wr250R

haven

Expedition Leader
A web site called ADV Pulse posted a two part series describing the preparations they thought were needed to ""adventurize" a Yamaha WR250R. The author put a ceiling of $2000 on the changes to keep the project somewhat affordable. He intends to continue the series with ride reports and evaluation. The article comments are a source of additional ideas. The

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/yamaha-wr250r-mods-1/

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/yamaha-wr250r-upgrades-2/

The WR250R MSRP is $6700 new, which is on the high side of the lightweight dual sport market. It might make more sense to shop for a Honda CRF250L, $5000 new, or a used machine. Regardless of machine, the article has good ideas about upgrades to add safety, comfort and convenience for a multiple day trip.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I'd like to see them do similar with the CSC TT250, $2195 new. I've been watching as these have become available and seeing what owners think. I like the air cooled, world wide popular Honda CG based engine. Seems it might be a good RTW bike.

AFSOC

Explorer
I'd like to see them do similar with the CSC TT250, $2195 new. I've been watching as these have become available and seeing what owners think. I like the air cooled, world wide popular Honda CG based engine. Seems it might be a good RTW bike.

Do you think the TT250 has advantage over the RX3 for extended travel?

ihatemybike

Explorer
IMHO, yes, but I prefer simple, light bikes. My ideal bike right now is the forever not brought to market, FX Bikes FX5 Dual Sport. Though I think they are overpriced and won't ever be made for sale.

Compared to the RX3, the TT250 is more dirt orientated, slower, 75 lbs lighter and $1700 cheaper. The CG based engine should be fairly easy to adjust/repair without a shop and if needed most shops worldwide would be familiar with a variant of it. In a pinch, I wouldn't be surprised if the other CG based engines could be swapped into the frame.

AFSOC

Explorer
IMHO, yes, but I prefer simple, light bikes.

I have NOT put eyes on or leg over either bike. My thought was the RX3 would be quite a bit more road worthy/ road ready than the TT250. In my experience extended travel encompasses eating miles of tarmac. For lengthy continental travel or RTW, if all things were fairly equal, it seems like the scale would tip a little more toward a bike that with more comfort on blacktop. Small displacement bikes get pretty buzzy and fatiguing after a day in the saddle, I'm sure the same is true for both these CSC mounts. I see your point about simplicity being advantageous but I also think that everything sold new today is several orders of magnitude more reliable than stuff form the 70's and 80's almost to the point of being moot. Not that breakdowns don't occur, because they do, even to BMW GS' and to a greater extent big twin KTMs, I'm just saying reparability and serviceability are greater consideration factors that reliability in my book.
Thanks for the explanation, I understand your points. I am not really in the market for one of these CSCs right now but am very intrigued by them/their price point, I do, however, think the Wr250R is a vastly superior machine in every measureable performance category. For now I'll just keep plodding along on my KLR650. I hope CSC is successful with these bikes but I hope I can find a pristine used WR250R to add to the stable even more.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I'm not really in the market either, but the CSC is a consideration. Every rider has their own preferences. Most riders wouldn't even consider my bike for a long trip, but I enjoy it, even for multi-state trips. It's kinda ridiculous, but it makes me smile.

Davidp14

I've got 3500 miles on my wrr now and several multi day trips .
I've never felt like I needed any more (or less) bike. Its perfect for just about anything I want to do.

B8txe1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles