500-lb capacity hitch rack from Harbor Freight

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here's a super-coupon code for this for $39.99 from their fresh mailer catalog. Good thru Nov30. I'm not sure if the code works for online mail order, but here it is. 99139795

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The haulers are convenient for carrying extra stuff (firewood, coolers, etc) but, as noted earlier, they absolutely ruin your departure angle.

Think outside the box...

chassis332.jpg

chassis333.jpg

ct90rack.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Think outside the box...
That rack is super slick, Kenny!

To the original post, I feel that is the worst place to carry fuel cans. What a risk that would make in a rear end collision or dragging it over a steep parking lot exit.

rayra

Expedition Leader
To each their own. I'm certainly not advocating using such a rack for 'regular' use. I think I made my 'emergency use' rationale clear in my earlier posts about it. Putting 55gal fuel drums in the open on the rear of CommBloc tanks is a 'bad idea' too. That's why they are removable, can be jettisoned when empty.

From my opening post -

But it's not a config for anything but paved roads or well-graded dirt roads. Not unless you are desperate. Makes an already poor departure angle even more impractical.

it's also certainly NOT something I'd want to display in something like say a hurricane or post-disaster evacuation. If you are going to do that, I suggest at least a tarp and maybe some unsightly household crap on top of them, as camoflage. Find somewhere out of sight to use the fuel.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Navin: He hates these cans! Stay away from the cans!

Sorry, I was reminded of the old movie when I read your post.

I've never heard of the red ones splitting at the seams, although I'm sure it's plausible especially if it was sitting near the exhaust.

Die Gas Pumper!!

SGNellett

Adventurer
I have one of these as well, and I bought the 3 bike carrier as well, and have used it on multiple vehicles, but my favorite use was when I plugged it into the receiver of my little bantam knock-off and towed that behind my Wrangler. I've done that twice, used it on the wifes previous Safari for a trip or 2 to Floridaa, and obviously on the Wrangler itself when we went up to Silver Lake in Xichigan. Every time I use it, I swear I am going to get one of the stabilizers, then I put it away and forget about it until next time, LOL! :jump: :smiley_drive:

Kevin108

Explorer
I've not had a truck for a few years, so for hauling anything gross, I've used the hell out of a cheap HF rack. Sand, concrete, greasy junkyard parts, dusty tools, even 8' lumber laid across it and centered up. One of the best $40 purchases I've ever made.

11327920_660427237427346_329410794_n.jpg

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I too have used one (not HF but something similar) with our Yukon when going with the three kids. Yeah it kills the departure angle but it allows me to get there where I can then unload it, take it off an then have my "USUAL" crappy departure angle back. Ha! Depending on what I'm carrying I have put a small piece of plywood down to stabilize things (mine just has bars across it for a floor). But they do help for sure when space is tight.

Function > Form

I have the same rack from Princess Auto, kinda the Canadian Harbor Freight. Side note, I find it difficult not to write HarboUr... :)

I used mine numerous times and had similar issues to you folks. Borderline acceptable welds, rattles like crazy, etc.

I haven't used it much except for transporting empties, or to pick up great curbside garbage day finds (I like to resurrect old stuff). Since using our tent trailer more these days (similar to a Heilite), we wanted to carry a 10lb propane tank, some sceptres, tool box. Check it out.

I basically flipped the orientation to make it work best, then cut some relief spots so it would sit flat on the a-frame, then fluxwelded, sanded and painted. I can jump on the corners with very little flex...mind you...I only weigh 155 lbs soaking wet.

IMAG1731[1].jpg
IMAG1734[1].jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a good re-purposing. Like the ring mount or the propane, too.

I've since bought a few of the Scepter 'Civilian' jugs. The (kerosene) blue water jugs are $20 at the Tractor Supply stores, the red fuel jugs with the CARB-bastardized nozzles are $25. They're certainly surdier than any other commercial grade jug, water or gas. Their trapezoidal shape / fatter bottoms certainly make them more difficult to lash together. But that's a minor quibble. And since I use a SuperSiphon and hose to empty fuel jugs when needed, I'm not concerned with the ergonomics of the caps or fuel pouring.

Got about 40-45gal of both gas and water in 20L/5gal jugs, now.
gasandwater170829.jpg

/I need to hose that dusty mess off and repaint that storage cabinet.

hemifoot

Observer
i had the same princess auto one.it lasted 1 whole summer.went with the aluminum one after that.it's a little smaller and alot lighter, and taller sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne