Swing Arm Rear Bumper options

OGwagen

I have to replace my rear bumpers and it will be a great excuse to do the swing out spare carriers that I've been wanting.

The only ones I have really seen that I like are the Desert(ORC?) ones that now GFG sells.

http://www.gfg-shop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p778_DESERT-Hecksto-stange-G.html

I think with the attachments it's pretty clean overall. Not too jazzed on the round lights. Kind of looks cheesy to me. I would like to see a full size fog and maybe some rigid flush mounts for backup lights.

Anyone seen these in person and have an opinion on the quality? Any other options out there I should check out?

Really would like to get the weight off the door.

Marty

thebigblue

Adventurer
The rear-door on a W463 G is rock-solid and will endure the weight of the spare forever.... It´s not the weight of the spare that makes the door open slowly, it´s the damper-coil.

ILIAN

Adventurer
The rear door may not fail but will probably require frequent adjustments because of a heavier spare. When you go with 35" or 37" tires they need to also be spaced out due to being wider. A 37" tire can weigh almost twice as much as the original spare. Another issue with bigger tires on the original carrier is they won't allow the door to open all the way due to the tire hitting the body panel next to the hinges. A tire carrier is not a bad idea for large tires and for mounting other things to it.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Marty, the swing out bumper is on my list as well. I am in need due to my 35" tire hitting the cab before the rear door opens enough to for my drawer slide to clear it. I like the ORC option, I haven't seen that one before. Lang Off-road has been talking about doing one. His drawings for the front bumper look really good, though I haven seen any production as of yet. Unfortunately my list of to-do's is a bit long, I'd rather purchase one than fabricate it, but we'll see......

OGwagen

Marty, the swing out bumper is on my list as well. I am in need due to my 35" tire hitting the cab before the rear door opens enough to for my drawer slide to clear it. I like the ORC option, I haven't seen that one before. Lang Off-road has been talking about doing one. His drawings for the front bumper look really good, though I haven seen any production as of yet. Unfortunately my list of to-do's is a bit long, I'd rather purchase one than fabricate it, but we'll see......

Hey James, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the GFG, I've been taking to them about getting a different light setup in the bumper and we are waiting to hear back from the supplier. They are on Holiday till the end of the month See what they say

burquedoka

Adventurer
Hey James, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the GFG, I've been taking to them about getting a different light setup in the bumper and we are waiting to hear back from the supplier. They are on Holiday till the end of the month See what they say

Let me know before you do, maybe we could share shipping on two?

imjustdave

So ... did anyone pickup one of these? My friends feel that if you backup into something with the tire on the door you basically will crush the door but somehow being on a tire carrier its support will take the abuse VS the door and more then likely be ok. But on a serious note I'm looking for bumper options especially for a winch.

otiswesty

Regular guy
If you are putting in an order for some bulky heavy stuff, I am interested in bringing in a set of Dotz steel wheels from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles