Best roof top tent ever.

Err

Observer
Awesome article, some funny, some true (and still funny), and some B.S. I've built rigs in so many different configurations now that all I can say is there's always that notion of "a better way". I loved my Columbus RTT but never cared for the soft tents. I have a van now, it has its drawbacks too. Might buy another RTT soon.

The security aspect is kind of extra funny. Oh yeah, a bear is never gonna be able to climb 6 whole feet up in the air!! LOL

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Not surprising coming from a liberal rag like outside. It reads like sour grapes that there are some people moving away from traditional camping and outside mag is just behind the times in covering such trends so they want to poo poo on something different.

Can only speak for myself but I had a bear within 5' of my RTT this weekend in the smokies. It seemed less interested in what was up in the air than what was in the cars it broke into, the cooler it drug away and shredded and the hipsters ground tenting with a site full of marshmallows, chips and other misc food laying around. Watching the flat brimmed hat crowd run screaming into the night was pretty amusing.

It had rained some on thurs and off and on fri 'till 2pm so the prints in the dirt/mud were very easily found Sat morning. It was within 5' of my ladder and never a step more. I like to think mr or mrs bear thought the low hanging fruit as it were was an easier target. Maybe it liked the smell of new skinny jeans and overpriced coffee combined with beard wax?

Also of note:

-my JKUHR that didn't cost 100k (4.10's/auto) was loaded with a three days of gear, 180 pound RTT, 6x8 ARB awning and room, fridge full of beer and food etc got 17.5 mpg doing 62/65 mph on 93 oct gas. I don't feel this number is horrible at all considering I get the same or less if I drive it during the week
-with a sub $500 investment I can dolly my RTT to a hoist system, raise it in the air, back the jeep under it, lower it down then fully secure and roll out in 45 min or less with no lifting or struggling on my part
-if I didn't want to climb down my ladder I can pee in a nalgene bottle but I have a nice comfy pair of teva's I slip on, climb down the ladder and have my luggable loo/doodie bag setup in my annex meaning I can be nice and dry/warm if nature calls during the night
-I have levels mouted inside and outside my jeep to see what adjustments I need to make so it's far from difficult
-when I arrived on fri it was raining and I set up my RTT in said rain and found it to be 100% dry inside. After waiting the rain out in my awning room watching a movie and drinking a beer I attached the annex
-my four person RTT fit's my 6'5 self just fine. I sleep just as soundly in it as I do at home in my cali king bed
-their reasoning for people not wanting to be on the ground due to bugs/animals in asinine. Guess where Wes lives they have no flying insects, raccoon, etc?
-I don't know anyone with a 100k suv so Wes must keep very affluent company
-and not everyone does the social media thing. I didn't know ****** instagram was until 6 mos ago. Maybe I will start one now so I can tag Wes with pictures of my RTT set up.

CSG

Explorer
There is only one real problem with roof top tents - the ladder. I'm too old for that means of entry and exit. Otherwise, I love the idea of them. Stick a Maggiolina on your Land Cruiser and you are stylin'! ;)

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Amusing thread started by a false claim for improving the RTT & link to same...lol

Yeah, what a let down - the only parts interesting to me were the comments that supported RTTs. If you don't like RTTs - fine. No one knows the imperfections of a RTT better than the owners. Talk about keeping your sense of humor - just go camping with a group that has the diversity of ground tents, those that sleep in their rig and RTTs - on the rig or an expo trailer. Nothing like being with a group to bring out the good, bad and the humor of it all... And you just might change your opinion or expectations of what one style has to offer over another.

chuppie

Observer
I might have a different perspective on this but I have camped in cars, pickups, SUVs, motorcycles, slept on picnic tables, a few pop ups, and a nice Class C motorhome when the kids were younger. We are empty nesters now and we love our RTT. It is an adult kid's tree-fort. It has some drawbacks but we are having a blast with it.As I age, the ladder may become difficult but for now, sleeping off the ground, on a double bed sized mattress with the Annex to change our clothes is great. I tow my trailer with a Forester. I have no problems. Bears are the least of my worries.You are far more likely to get killed or injured by a drunk or texting driver on your way to the campground. It is all about having fun, not what you have.

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
How about a Tent-cot on a trailer? Front tongue stand has been changed to match the rears (in case anyone was noticing the wooden blocks). Mine is a double sized, which is good for one person with some room to stretch out, or two folks willing to spoon. It also has a place on each side inside to hold a bottle (or a can of bear spray). Now I just need to get a cover made for it when folded up (in the works).
I enjoyed the well-written article. I got the tongue-in-cheek aspect; I appreciate the humor.

View attachment 372088View attachment 372089View attachment 372090View attachment 372091

YES! Well thought out setup. I love it! It would be pretty easy to just flip up the ends and cover .

dcg141

Adventurer
I've done both, still have a lightweight backpack tent for kayak and motorcycle camping. I like both but I prefer the RTT and gave my son the ground tent. I might possibly get another big ground tent, the OZ Tents are really cool, but I will keep my RTT. It only goes when I take my trailer and it sits there permanently. But I will say this, if I get another ground tent its going to be a big heavy canvas tent.

Kevin108

Explorer
The backpackers have an expression I love, which I think applies to this well: HYOH, or hike your own hike.

I am no RTT expert. I've only had mine a year. I've only slept in it about two weeks' worth in a half-dozen locations. I only have the cheapest one on the market. But in that link, I find very little of the information regarding RTTs to be true.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
How about a Tent-cot on a trailer? Front tongue stand has been changed to match the rears (in case anyone was noticing the wooden blocks). Mine is a double sized, which is good for one person with some room to stretch out, or two folks willing to spoon. It also has a place on each side inside to hold a bottle (or a can of bear spray). Now I just need to get a cover made for it when folded up (in the works).
I enjoyed the well-written article. I got the tongue-in-cheek aspect; I appreciate the humor.

View attachment 372088View attachment 372089View attachment 372090View attachment 372091

This always cracks me up. Why on earth would you put the tent cot on the trailer. All you're doing is making it harder to get in and out of, and look ridiculous!

grogie

Like to Camp
Not surprising coming from a liberal rag like outside. It reads like sour grapes that there are some people moving away from traditional camping and outside mag is just behind the times in covering such trends so they want to poo poo on something different.

Can only speak for myself but I had a bear within 5' of my RTT this weekend in the smokies. It seemed less interested in what was up in the air than what was in the cars it broke into, the cooler it drug away and shredded and the hipsters ground tenting with a site full of marshmallows, chips and other misc food laying around. Watching the flat brimmed hat crowd run screaming into the night was pretty amusing.

It had rained some on thurs and off and on fri 'till 2pm so the prints in the dirt/mud were very easily found Sat morning. It was within 5' of my ladder and never a step more. I like to think mr or mrs bear thought the low hanging fruit as it were was an easier target. Maybe it liked the smell of new skinny jeans and overpriced coffee combined with beard wax?

That is also a wonderful post and it sounds like you've got a great setup. I love the line, "flat brimmed hat crowd run screaming into the night." :D

Anyway... my RTT is on trailer which isn't always level, but close enough is okay with me as long as my head is higher then my feet. Plus if my wife rolls into me I'm okay with that too.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
That is also a wonderful post and it sounds like you've got a great setup. I love the line, "flat brimmed hat crowd run screaming into the night." :D

Anyway... my RTT is on trailer which isn't always level, but close enough is okay with me as long as my head is higher then my feet. Plus if my wife rolls into me I'm okay with that too.

I offered them use of my bear canister. Nope, their walmart bags were good to go. I offered them rope and a 70 liter seal line dry bag to hang their food in to get their stuff up and away from their site. Nope, they passed on that. Early the next morning the bear showed up and all hell broke loose. Bear 1 Hyundai 0

And note to self...a non level camp spot can be a good thing!

Judoka

Learning To Live
You know, I must admit, I did not read the article until just now. I was merely responding to posts and giving my opinion. But after reading it I must say I do appreciate the sarcasm and the commitment to ones own ideals. I can commend a well founded rant that goes against popular opinion. To me however, it loses all substance and credibility when coupled with poor grammar or misspelled words coming from a major publication! If their editing staff took as much interest doing their job as he did belittling someone else's ideas and ambitions, then they would not have missed their mistake in the last paragraph of this supposedly authoritative article !
"If you are having trouble adequately curating your life experiences through your phone, may I suggest that you may be better served by visiting more, and more interesting places, than buy purchasing unnecessary lifestyle accouterments?"

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
I believe the correct word in this instance is "by" and not "buy". Great way to solidify your oh so important opinion, Mr I Am A Professional Camping Guru Who Has Come To Set You Straight ! How fitting that it is even his final thought in this masterpiece !
Perhaps his fingers slipped as he was tapping out those enlightening words...on his cell phone !
Hahaha!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior