Scan tool for repairs and troubleshooting?

zuren

Adventurer
I've spent a lot of time and money on my vehicle adding and upgrading physical hardware but with a modern vehicle, a sensor or electronic component has the potential to disable a system/component or leave me stranded. Case in point - my air bag came on and my research tells me that there is some type of fault and I may no longer have active airbags.

Does anyone carry and/or use a scan tool to help make repairs to your vehicle? Any recommendations on models that work well? There are "standard" tools, "enhanced" tools, software for PCs, Bluetooth connectors with smartphone apps, etc.......almost too many options.

I want a unit that is "enhanced" since I need to get to the airbag codes. They are a bit more expensive but I want something that will handle most vehicles and most codes without going to a $500 pro mechanic device. I'm willing to spend $100-150.

Thanks!

herm

Adventurer
i use the app Torque and one of these: total cost is under 20 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Elm27-Wireless-Scanner-Adapter-Iphone/dp/B01GO53OB6?th=1

i have saved myself way more than 20 dollars knowing exactly whats going on and being able to clear codes myself. last year my throttle body position sensors were disagreeing and causing derate while driving through Yellowstone. we used this setup to clear the codes when needed and got home to the dealer where the repair was covered under warranty.

zuren

Adventurer
i use the app Torque and one of these: total cost is under 20 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Elm27-Wireless-Scanner-Adapter-Iphone/dp/B01GO53OB6?th=1

i have saved myself way more than 20 dollars knowing exactly whats going on and being able to clear codes myself. last year my throttle body position sensors were disagreeing and causing derate while driving through Yellowstone. we used this setup to clear the codes when needed and got home to the dealer where the repair was covered under warranty.

Can you read airbag and ABS codes with the Torque app? I went to their website but details are sparse. MOST readers cannot read ABS or airbag codes; that is an "enhanced" function.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
You're not going to get what you want for $100-150. They simply don't add that at that price point, unless you get a used one. I sell diagnostic equipment, you get what you pay for.
And code readers only give you emissions RELATED code info. Not vin specific.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I use the Torque app as well, with an Elm device. first one I bought didn't work, so I got another and it was fine. it works well for the price.

As was said above, you get what you pay for.

for my older pre-OBD2 vehicles I have an OTC scan tool I bought used on the inter-webs.

zuren

Adventurer
I understand the "you get what you pay for" sentiment, but I'm not a pro mechanic and a $500+ scan tool is not justifiable. I was doing some research on the Matco scan tool; $450, 2010 is the latest firmware version, cannot be updated. Looks like there are some cheaper Matco units on Ebay but I don't like that they "froze" their software in 2010. My buddy recommended a used GM Tech2 scan tool but VERY expensive (even for a Chinese clone) and only works on GM vehicles (from what I understand).

Here is an example of the newer Android based tools - https://www.lemurmonitors.com/. I won't be able to reprogram the ECM of a car but for $100 I think it will do everything I need on any car I will ever own. Pair it with a cheap Android tablet (or your phone when you're traveling) and that might be a nice setup.

jschmidt

Adventurer
Can you read airbag and ABS codes with the Torque app? I went to their website but details are sparse. MOST readers cannot read ABS or airbag codes; that is an "enhanced" function.

No. But you should still buy one. Very useful for engine diagnostics and real time readouts. They're so cheap I keep one in each car.

I believe only the GM tool will provide Airbag codes.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Torque's not really a scan tool per se, but it will show you all the error codes and allow you to clear them. That's besides its basic / free data 'gauge' displays and the paid version's expanded track-related data capture. It really is a splendid app for several purposes.

I'm curious about the OP's specificity about air bags, is there some recurring error you have to keep clearing, or are you wanting to delete their activation?

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I use a Scan Gauge in my truck and love it. Allows me to read trouble codes clear codes and monitor tons of engine functions.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Scan tools are so inexpensive it would be foolish to not have one.

I know of one friend who six hours into a trip had a check engine light and turned around and went six hours back to town. (this is far West Texas). The check engine light was a loose gas cap fault. He lost out on his trip , wasted gas and money for a loose gas cap on his last fill up.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I have a ScanGaugeII plugged into my van at all times, good gauge, works well for hypermileing.

I had a UltraGauge, got ruined by water, better display than the ScanGaugeII, rear mounted buttons annoyed me.

My wife's Jeep has a OBDII/Bluetooth adapter in it, which we use with the full version of the Torque Android App. I've also used this setup in one of Cruise America's E350 based 25' RVs. Cheap and works quite well, but it I were to use it for full time system monitoring I would acquire another phone or tablet to keep in the vehicle.

kidphc

I've spent a lot of time and money on my vehicle adding and upgrading physical hardware but with a modern vehicle, a sensor or electronic component has the potential to disable a system/component or leave me stranded. Case in point - my air bag came on and my research tells me that there is some type of fault and I may no longer have active airbags.

Does anyone carry and/or use a scan tool to help make repairs to your vehicle? Any recommendations on models that work well? There are "standard" tools, "enhanced" tools, software for PCs, Bluetooth connectors with smartphone apps, etc.......almost too many options.

I want a unit that is "enhanced" since I need to get to the airbag codes. They are a bit more expensive but I want something that will handle most vehicles and most codes without going to a $500 pro mechanic device. I'm willing to spend $100-150.

Thanks!

Short answer new, No. You need a bilateral scanner unfortunately, they average for entry level ones are quite a chunk of change. Torque app will let you read and clear most codes. This can let you limp a car home, not always. Hard faults will not clear till the issue is corrected, for example if a wiring short happens it will throw a code almost instantly after delete. I currently have several scanners, from $20 torque app/dongle, Scan gauges to a 15000 scope scanner. Sadly, even when doing diagnostic work you may need several different scanners to complete the job.

An example of this was when we worked on a HHR. The Verus Pro could not clear the immobilizer codes from the body control computer. We went and tried the Maximus and Genisys/OTC scanners all failed. My former mechanic came with an Acutel scanner, which cleared the code but could not reprogram the immobilizer, which required a locksmith with a different scanner. My former mechanic and i talked about buying laptops with generic scanner software, which would probably would of been better then all of the the $23,000+ worth of scanners to get a car started for about 3000.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I bought a 30 dollar code reader on amazon, I think its an Ancel? Anyways, it reads and clears codes, halfway interprets codes, and gives real time data.

kidphc

I bought a 30 dollar code reader on amazon, I think its an Ancel? Anyways, it reads and clears codes, halfway interprets codes, and gives real time data.

Most scanners will have those basic functions. I'm talking about actuating modules, motors, lights, solenoids etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne