Commander/GrandCherokee WK honest reviews

87Warrior

GP'er
I owned a very nice ’06 WK for about 3 years. It was by far the most comfortable Jeep I had ever had (in comparison to my history with YJ, XJ, TJ, and MJ). The ride was great, the 5.7 Hemi power was phenomenal and the QDII with ELSD seemed to work well. The leather seats were firm yet comfortable, the stock stereo was easy to listen to and the dual climate control worked much better than any of the WJ’s I had been around. We bought this Jeep at 55K miles and was to be the replacement car for my wife who was driving an aging Camry.

I put 25K miles on the WK in the 3 years we owned it. After 1 year of ownership issues started to arise. I had to replace the radiator twice (both Mopar), replace the spark plugs (16 of them threw me for a curve) and replace the EGR valve (this was very frustrating). Since we were planning to keep the WK for many years, I changed the differential and transfercase fluid and flushed the power steering/hydraulic fan fluid. The WK came equipped with the factory tow package so I attempted to pull a small utility trailer and found the trailer noise through the unibody to be unbearable, far worse than an XJ (which I pulled the same trailer with).

Around the 2nd year or ownership we received the N23 recall notice. Since my wife was driving the WK more and more, we decided to quickly jump on the recall (she doesn’t start vehicles with her foot on the brake). The WK spent a lot of time at the dealership following the N23 programing because it would not shift into 4-low. My wife started to express disgust in the visibility around the A pillars and lack of storage within the drivers reach.

The dealership finally seemed to get the N23 bugs worked out with a new wire harness and maybe a P73 recall as we turned over year 3 of ownership. The WK was going into 4-low no problem in the driveway so my wife and I loaded up for a trip to the San Juans. At the base of Cinnamon Pass the blasted thing wouldn’t go into 4-low again. I knew pulling the FDCM fuse would temporarily let me use 4-low, but the worry of the WK being stuck in 4-low was constantly in the back of my mind. We ran a few of the roads in the San Juans and the WK creaked and popped anytime the road was not level. This trip was the straw that broke me. I sold the WK and my wife’s Camry, bought her a GMC Acadia and myself a Land Cruiser. I still have a TJ and MJ, but the WK left me with discontent for modern Jeeps that I haven’t been able to shake.

paroxysym

Adventurer
but the WK left me with discontent for modern Jeeps that I haven't been able to shake.

i do agree with this statement. being as I have owned my 07 since 62k and now have 192k on it, I can say that the older it gets the more you have to put into it. the IFS in this thing always has me concerned, hell it has me concerned to the point I talk myself out of wheeling it. I drive it 40mi round trip everyday and at 192k and a lot of work and mods into, she rides great. but the last 20k have been a nightmare as far as replacing parts and repairs- but hey, who wants a car payment? ive actually started looking for a low mileage XJ to replace it, as I love XJs and need 4 doors. ill prob end up replacing the oil pan/timing chains on this WK and keeping her till 250k or whenever she gives up the ghost... but for now, the smiles per mile seem to out weigh getting rid of her. sucks owning a lifted jeep that you cant take offroad, but its nice to know its capable should a need arise LOL

jeepgc

Adventurer
When I test drive both back to back in 2010 I found the backseat (2nd row) of the Commander cramped compared to the WK. We bought the WK.
according to wkjeeps.com and xkjeeps.com:
- WK cargo area is 35 cubic ft with the rear seats up, 67.4 cubic ft with the seat down
- XK cargo area 6 cubic ft with the 3rd row seat up, 36.4 cubic feet with the 3rd row seat folded down, and 68.7 cubic ft with the 2nd and 3rd row folded down.

I own a WK(just rolled 192k on the ol girl), every now and then ill haul our kid and 2 dogs in the WK, and both dogs(boxer/pit bull mix and yellow lab) are able to lay down in the back of the WK with the seats up
Thanks for the thoughts.

Hmmm, doesn't sound too good for the Commander, with 2 teen kids it sounds like it would be a step backwards going from my WK to an XK.

Looking at the areas mentioned, it looks like the Commander doesn't have much more storage than the WK.

My 2 dogs just about fit in the back with the seats up, but they have another 6 months of growing to do so I'm running out of time to figure out our next vehicle.

I thought the Commander would do it, but that's looking doubtful now, back to the drawing board :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I've owned 2 ZJs, 3 XJs, a WJ, a WKII, and an XK, so I have some experience in these trucks.

The ZJ has been the most comfortable and most usable Jeep I've ever owned. The WKII is plush, but despite the fact that it is longer, wider, and heavier than the XK, I find it to be very cramped for my 6'6" 240 lb frame. The XK is considerably more comfortable for me. The WKII gets better gas mileage with the 4.7 L than the XK with the 5.7. That's been my biggest complaint if you will. However, if I wanted a vehicle for gas mileage, well, we all know that a Jeep wouldn't be in the mix. The XK I bought had the third row seat removed and floor height storage built in. The cargo space in that Jeep is outrageously big in my opinion with no third row. Not sure if this is a factor - but the 4.7 only tows about 5000-5500 versus the Hemi at 7500ish. That's why I waited on a Hemi XK - for towing.

My oldest daughter (11) is 5'7" and has no problem with leg room behind me in the XK. I don't even need to run the seat as far back as it will go. I do need to run the seat back all the way in the WK. Leg room in the WK is not as good in my opinion. The girls also like the XK because of the "theater seating" as they can see over the front seats since the rear seats are mounted on a platform.

So, my opinion:

- for daily driving: ZJ or XK
- for weekend off-road and tougher stuff: XJ
- for towing: XK Hemi
- for overlanding - WJ or XK
- to go to the mall: WKII

jeepgc

Adventurer
- to go to the mall: WKII

Lol.

Well that's a comprehensive review, thank you Cottontail.

Well, I'm a modest 6'1 and my daughters are about 5" currently so they shouldn't have any issues.

I think I'll have to go see one and check it out this weekend.

I would prefer to stick with a Jeep.

This vehicle would be used to transport the dogs and the family on short and long trips.

We have the 5.7 hemi, although it would be nice in the XK, I could be swayed to go diesel for this one.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Commander cargo 7.5 ft³, 68.5 ft³ with seat area
WK Grand Cherokee 34.53 ft³, 67.4 ft³ with seat area

That is with 3 rows of seats in use in the commander. With 2 rows, the cargo space is much bigger. Don't think of a Commander as a 3 row SUV. Think of it as a 2 row that has an extra row just in case it's needed.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I just drove the wifes XK to Costco yesterday. 80 mile round trip, been a while since driving it on the highway since we have been driving the Mini Cooper S when we go out of town.
Averaged 19 MPG with the 5.7 Hemi on the way there. Did some passing on the way back, didn't look at the MPG's, but the Magna flow and AEM intake are pleasant sounds to hear while passing.

Most of our driving lately in the XK have been rural/local real estate sales driving. So, all seats full, and driving up washboard, steep, rocky, dirt roads. (Some potential buyers call then "trails") The XK is quiet and comfortable on these roads even with 153K miles on it.

I have installed OME springs and shocks, JBA upper control arms, 255/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3's on aftermarket wheels (can't remember the backspacing or width)
I have also replaced a lot of suspension bushings and other stuff that may "clunk"

I absolutely LOVE the XK. It is my first choice for any overland adventure that doesn't involve "hard" offroad use. Sure, it can go almost anywhere my 35" tired, 4 inch pre-runner long arm suspension JKUR will go, but we don't want body damage (it is sort of plastic and easily damaged by rocks and trees)
For driving over Stevens Pass a half dozen times every winter in the snow, it is safe a sure footed due to the awesome AWD system. It is not too big like a Suburban, but much bigger than a Grand Cherokee, so it can still feel sporty over a twisty mountain pass and fit into Seattle sized parking spots.

My trailer has weighed as much as 6K pounds (14 foot VRV toy hauler built by Livin Lite) and the 5.7 Hemi was able to drag it up to 70 MPH over that long pass between Ellensburg and Yakima WA. (but I saw 6MPG while doing that) on flat ground at 60 MPH with the trailer loaded to normal camping weight (maybe 3500 pounds) I get about 13 MPG. Not that bad really.

What would I change? Bigger fuel tank, better options for a real steel front bumper, a tire carrier since the bigger tires don't fit in the under car tire storage (but I could put a fuel tank there) and I would update the stereo/NAV with something more android compatible and less dated, but upgrades seem to all be in the $1500 range for that.

As far as fitting tall people, I don't know. I am only 5'9" and my wife is 5'2". The seat raises and goes far enough forward for the wife to be comfortable, so I will say that it's good for short people too.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Bigger fuel tank? I'm all for that.

You compare the size in your post to the Suburban and the Grand Cherokee. You don't mention which incarnation of Grand, but the WK is longer, wider, and heavier than the XK in stock form.

I only know this because my wife said she won't drive the XK because it is "too big" and I verified that it is smaller then her WKII.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thank you Deseet jk, good review.

Got me thinking now.

Interesting how you're stating that it's a lot bigger than the WK.

I would be thinking of the XK as a suv that has 2 rows of seats as the third row would hardly get used.

I still haven't checked one out yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DesertJK

Adventurer
I always though the XK was a bit bigger than the WK and WK2. Maybe I am wrong about that. I certainly looks bigger, and seems to have more room inside.

kayadog

Adventurer
I just bought a used 2014 WK2 to replace my 2010 WK. I liked the WK, but the WK2 is much more comfortable and modern vehicle that is more efficient and also feels roomier. I have no idea about off road ability-- they are both QT1 V6 Laredos. I'm confident the WK2 will handle New England winters, beach driving, and mild off roading just as well as the WK although I haven't tested it yet. The WK2 is noticeably quicker with the 3.6 and 8 speed. The 3.7 was reliable but kind of a dog.

I have no experience with the 4.7 or Hemi or QT2 or Quadradrive.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I just read this thread again from the beginning, and after extolling the virtues of the XK on the previous page, I was surprised to remember that I commented on this thread shortly after it opened back in the spring - before I bought my XK - that I wouldn't consider an XK due to leg room...the very thing that I said was good, just a few posts back.

Just goes to show, sometimes experience trumps expectation....

BickMaine

So, I just made a threas about what I just bought for a WK. Any and all advice will be great at thia point. thanks

paroxysym

Adventurer
just sold my 07 with 194,500... I will say the last 30k I had her were prob the most expensive- new pcm, new cvs, rear control arms, some other mods. the last 2k I did have her she developed a rattling/squeaking in the rear that I couldn't diagnose, im sure it was something in the hatch area but I just got so damn annoyed with it I just sold her cause I wanted an XJ.

ThePartyWagon

Do any of you with WKs sleep in the back ever? One of the things I love about my XJ is the ability to pull the rear seat and sleep in the back. Although, if you're over 6', game over. I'm potentially looking at a new job and commuting an XJ up and down one of our canyons will likely mean death for my 2000 2 door with 175k miles. Considering a diesel WK but I'm not sure I can part with my classic XJ for a modern Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles