Two Bob's Ohio to Prudhoe 2016 - Ram/Hawk, Husky, and Wing.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
May I ask what map software you guys were using?

Great trip report. We just did Iceland and saw great auroras, you got better pictures!

DYNOBOB

Adventurer
May I ask what map software you guys were using?

Great trip report. We just did Iceland and saw great auroras, you got better pictures!

Garmin Mapsource. I still favor my GPSMAP 478 and Mapsource is what I'm used to. Garmin Basecamp would also work.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my .gpx waypoint file and will give a link to it when done. It will work with any map program.

DYNOBOB

Adventurer
Fri Aug 26. Beavercreek, YK to Fairbanks. 326 miles.

Beav%20Fairb.jpg~original

Just up the road from Beavercreek was our first stop this morning and a major trip milestone, the Alaska border. 3953 miles since leaving home six days ago.

DSC07211aa.jpg~original

DSC07225.jpg~original

Skies are clearing and the forecast is dry to Fairbanks. :) Those experienced in Alaska motorcycle travel will tell you "follow the weather". Indeed, yesterday we had to make a major route decision in Whitehorse. My original plan was to take the Klondike Hwy north to Dawson City and the Top of the World Hwy. This would have added 2-3 days to arriving at Fairbanks. However, the part of this trip that has me the most nervous is the 1000 mile run from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay and back. I've been watching the weather for Prudhoe for the last week and Sat/Sun look beautiful with highs in the mid-50s F. Monday forward calls for low 40's and overcast/rain. This is exactly why I've had the hammer down to this point in the trip, we'll arrive Fairbanks tonight and catch that good weather on the Dalton tomorrow. Forward ho...

DSC07245.jpg~original

DSC07265.jpg~original

DSC07245aa.jpg~original

DSC07245b.jpg~original

DSC07253.jpg~original

DSC07259.jpg~original

DSC07268a.jpg~original

DSC07269.jpg~original

DSC07270a.jpg~original

DSC07274.jpg~original

DSC07280a.jpg~original

Just before you get to Fairbanks is the town of North Pole, AK. As we entered I noticed an auto glass shop advertising "we fix your panes". A quick U-turn, and 45 minutes later they had cut me a proper piece of plexi, given me a roll of doublestick tape, and the camper window was good as new. Thank you Santa...

DSC07285.jpg~original

Tonight we're staying with old friends just outside of Fairbanks. We'll leave the trailer and Goldwing here for a few days while we run the Dalton. She had dinner waiting when we arrived and most of it was from her outstanding garden. You'll notice the 8ft high fence to keep the moose out, and the raised beds because the ground is always frozen a few feet down. These are not problems you have in OH :).

DSC07302a.jpg~original

DSC07303.jpg~original

DSC07304.jpg~original

DSC07305.jpg~original

Last edited:

molanginaeda

Observer
Beautiful. I will be planning a trip to Alaska in the future. Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DYNOBOB

Adventurer
Sat Aug 27. Fairbanks to Galbraith Lakes. 370 miles.

Fairb%20Galb.jpg~original

Without a doubt, this is the segment of the trip that has me the most nervous. 1000 miles thru wilderness to Prudhoe Bay and back with no towns and only two small outposts with fuel. A catastrophic mechanical or tire failure up here likely means a very expensive tow bill (thousands) and multiple days to resolve. Beyond that, you hear horror stories of flying rocks from semis, broken windshields, broken headlights, tire eating holes in the road, cement like mud covering your vehicle, dense clouds of mosquitoes, alien abductions, etc. When you mention you're riding the Dalton to most 49th State residents they look at you like you're an alien, why would you even want to ride up there? If you're reading this though, you know why. Without a doubt, this is my favorite day of the trip!

By the time I had the bikes/truck/trailer sorted Sat morning, we got away much later than I wanted to (11am). Knowing the distance faced the next couple days this was frustrating, I also forgot my throttle rocker on the Wing and box of spare Husky parts. Grrrr... Gotta put that out of your mind though - remind yourself of where you are - and be thankful for the stunning conditions. Get ready for a lot of pics... 90% of our Dalton pics were taken northbound. For a couple reasons there were very few taken southbound.

So north we go... and very quickly you spot the pipeline/reason this road exists.

DSC07310aaa.jpg~original

DSC07313.jpg~original

DSC07306.jpg~original

DSC07331.jpg~original

DSC07311.jpg~original

Approaching the Yukon River
DSC07311a.jpg~original

DSC07318a.jpg~original

DSC07326a.jpg~original

DSC07320a.jpg~original

DSC07321a.jpg~original

Gas is over $5/gal anywhere on the Dalton. If you have at least 260 mile fuel range you can skip this stop and hit Coldfoot. Or...you can "never pass up a gas up".
DSC07327a.jpg~original

Finger Mountain area
DSC07332.jpg~original

DSC01003.jpg~original

DSC07336.jpg~original

DSC07338a.jpg~original

DSC07344a.jpg~original

DSC01009.jpg~original

Nearing Coldfoot
DSC07366a.jpg~original

DSC07346.jpg~original

DSC07350a.jpg~original

DSC07354a.jpg~original

DSC07355a.jpg~original

DYNOBOB

Adventurer
This is Coldfoot. There are about 4 buildings and seemed to be about 10 people working at the complex. The restaurant serves pretty good food and showers are $14. Tomorrow we'll find out how much tire repairs are...
DSC07361a.jpg~original

DSC01011.jpg~original

DSC01012.jpg~original

Just north of Coldfoot you're getting into the Brooks Range. Why would anyone want to drive this road...?

DSC07370a.jpg~original

DSC07370b_1.jpg~original

DSC07328a.jpg~original

DSC07373.jpg~original

DSC07381a.jpg~original

Shortly before the climb to Atigun Pass the road returns to gravel. If you've been confused by the pavement, roughly 50 miles on either side of Coldfoot is nicely paved. It's a nice break from the gravel and is especially welcome on the return from Prudhoe.

DSC07382b.jpg~original

DSC07382a.jpg~original

DSC07389a.jpg~original

DSC07390.jpg~original

The climb to Atigun.
DSC07386aaAA.jpg~original

DSC07386.jpg~original

DSC07387.jpg~original

Looking back south from the pass.
DSC07395a.jpg~original

The north side of Atigun - if you squint you can see me in the lower right.
DSC03271.jpg~original

DSC03271a.jpg~original

The truck gives scale to the immensity of the view here. They were shot at 45mm which is how your eyes see it standing here.
DSC07397.jpg~original

DSC07399.jpg~original

Taken from where the truck was in the last shot.
DSC07401b.jpg~original

Dad in the distance.
DSC07402.jpg~original

DSC07404a.jpg~original

DSC03283.jpg~original

DYNOBOB

Adventurer
On the north side of the Brooks Range now, looking back south at Galbraith Lakes.
DSC07411a.jpg~original

DSC07417a.jpg~original

Now approaching 8pm, we pull over a little ways up the road to make some dinner. After eating, we decide this is where we'll camp for the evening. One thing we've been doing every night after dinner is watching a dvd on the laptop. Tonight we watch the final episode of "Long Way Around" where they're traveling thru Alaska. It's beyond surreal to be camped on the North Slope tundra...
DSC07421a.jpg~original

DSC07428a.jpg~original

A couple critters (caribou?) have met their demise 100ft from the truck, that's something to keep in mind if you have to leave the camper in the dark. (Where is my pee bottle..?)
DSC07436.jpg~original

DSC07437.jpg~original

370 miles covered today with lots of picture stops so I'm happy. 130 miles left to Prudhoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles